Options

Long Term Planning so my gear lust doesn't break me!

PrettyKittyPrettyKitty Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
edited October 23, 2009 in Cameras
I have a BUNCH of Olympus gear... and I love it...:lust but a part of me wants to switch over to Canon or Nikon due to the better high-ISO performance. I love shooting natural light photos and Olympus can be a little limiting some times. I tried a friend's Nikon D90 and was blown away in the differences between taking a picture with his camera at 3200 in his house, vs. MY camera at 3200 at his house. It was enough to make me wanna cry! I know how to work around it and I still take lots of pictures I LOVE but a part of me is crying out for more!

So assuming I make a transition over the next few years, what gear would you recommend? I currently have the Olympus E-30 along with the ZD11-22mm, Sigma 18-50, ZD 40-150, PL 25F1.4, and ZD 50F2 lenses. I also still have my E-1 and E-510 bodies. I actually have an adapter on the E-1 to use some old manual focus Minolta lenses for playing around. The 510 I use mostly only when the E-30 is in the shop... lol... I pick it back up today and hopefully it's fixed! But I digress...

Eventually I want to do part-time photography of children, pets, and families. I have shot a couple weddings but it's too stressful for me to consider doing regularly. I might consider being a second shooter for someone but they usually want someone with Canon or Nikon... another reason I'd like to switch.... So i don't want any entry level gear, I really want a good transition plan into more professional level gear. Not sure I'm ready to go Full Frame yet though... but if you have an argument for it, I'd love to hear it! But since it's not a full time job for me, i can't imagine the money being worth it!

I know NOTHING about Canon... but I've done a little reading on Nikon. From what I can tell, my Nikon dream list is:
D300s
17-55 F2.8
SB900
85F1.4D
70-200 VR F2.8

Look like a good dream list? Yes i realize that adds up to about $6700.
I was thinking I could start off with the D300s and the 17-55, and then add things in the order I listed above. Sound like a plan? Honestly I rarely use my 40-150mm lens now... unless I go to the zoo or some place I can't get near my subject. So I could wait until I could afford something nice. I thought about the 80-200 which is $800 cheaper - but I heard better things about the 70-200.... Also, i probably wouldn't liquidate all my Olympus gear until I got the last item on the list... I'd start by getting rid of a few bodies, keep the E-30, and I'd get rid of the comprable ranged lenses.... but keep the longer zooms for just in case... etc.

If I went Canon, what gear should I look at?

Anyone got any arguements of Nikon over Canon or vice versa? Or good links I can read up more on their differences?

Keep in mind I'm heading toward pro level - for family, kid, baby, and pet photography. By day, I'm an engineer with my Project Management Certificate... so I just feel like I need a plan! LOL... as long as a manageable plan is in place, I'll be happy with my gear and looking forward to new things!:clap

Comments

• Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2009
    from a nikon shooter that is a fine dream list but not suitable for a pro. You really need to have backup of everything. A 2nd body like the d90, another lens in the standard range..say 50 1.4 or 1.8, and another sb900 flash. You simply can not be in a paid shoot with out redundancy as a pro.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2009
    Canon and Nikon are vanilla and chocolate (those white Canon telephoto lenses, you know...). They're both good. From year to year they leapfrog each other on features. I shoot Canon gear, but I don't put down Nikon.

The only strong reason to favor one over the other are if one offers a particular speciality item that you want, and the other has nothing comparable. The only thing that pops into mind offhand in this regard is Canon's super-macro MP-E 65 lens, which can shoot up at up to 5:1 magnification. I don't think Nikon has anything like it, but then not many people really need it. (I want one just because it looks like a lot of fun.)

After that it's a matter of ergonomics. Figure out which Canon and Nikon bodies you would be interested in and hold them in your hand. Does one feel more comfortable than the other? Check the placement of controls. Does one seem more natural or easier to use than the other?

I'm not that well-informed on Nikon's product line, but I gather the D300s is one of their best crop-frame (APS-C) bodies. That being the case, the equivalent in Canon's lineup would probably be either the 50D ($1200) or the new 7D ($1800). Canon has a very good 17-55 f/2.8 lens and a superb 70-200 f/2.8 IS lens (IS is Canon's name for VR). Canon doesn't have an 85 f/1.4 but they do have 85 f/1.8 and 85 f/1.2 models (the 1.2 being much more expensive). You can compare prices online and read reviews to see what you think.

I recently switched from APS-C to full-frame (Canon 5D Mark II) and I'm not looking back. Then again, I really like wide-angle work, which is handicapped by a crop-frame sensor. But also, full-frame sensors tend to have better low-light and high-speed performance due to having less noise at high ISO levels (which in turn relates to having lower pixel density). I don't know how important that would be to you.
    http://craigd.smugmug.com

Got bored with digital and went back to film.
  • Options
    LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2009
    From Canon the equivalent list would be

7D
    17-55/2.8 IS
    580EX II
    85/1.2L (or 85/1.8 to save some $)
    70-200/2.8 IS

Comparing Canon to Nikon:

Body: don't know enough about either to compare.

17-55: can't imagine there is enough difference here to decide on.

Flash: The SB900 is a better unit but also more expensive

85: The 85/1.4D is an excellent lens, but I prefer Canon's larger (and newer) selection of primes. I have the Canon 85/1.8 which is a great lens and signficantly less expensive than either the 85/1.4D or the 85/1.2L

70-200: Both are very highly regarded glass. I don't think you'll see the difference.

I haven't looked at the prices, but my guess is you'll be able to put together the Canon kit for a bit less money than the equivalent in Nikon gear.
  • Options
    swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2009
    Don't leave Olympus! I use an E-620 as my main professional camera and don't feel it limits me and it has virtually the same specs as the E-30 in a smaller body. Are you sure changing to Nikon or Canon will be the key factor?
  • Options
    ToshidoToshido Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2009
    Could go full frame with the Canon 5D, buying used of course, and save several hundred dollars on the body.

Not too sure how the high ISO compares to the D300s, although I suspect the 5D to be visibly better.

Then with the Canon 5D, go with the canon equivalents in lenses.

Then save up from working and get the 5D or whatever suits your future needs.
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2009
    Don't forget some of the better-rated 3rd-party lenses - for instance the excellent Tamron 17-50 makes an affordable alternative to the Canon/Nikon 17-55.
  • Options
    NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    Don't forget some of the better-rated 3rd-party lenses - for instance the excellent Tamron 17-50 makes an affordable alternative to the Canon/Nikon 17-55.

I was about to make this point, I have 3 Tamron zooms now and love them wings.gif

The AF isn't as fast as the latest Nikons but for me that doesn't matter much, and my 28-75 is as sharp as it gets!

But as to your current issue if you are after high ISO performance go for a D700, there is no question. deal.gif

The D90/300 will give you a bump in a stop but at that rate you are better off buying the 14-35 F2.0 and 35-100 F2.0. Plus the 35-100 while huge makes for an amazing portrait lens from what I have seen. You already have some nice Olympus glass so this would create a very nice system.

Plus with the lenses you are after the extra couple hundred for the D700 isn't a big step (just compromise on one lens for third party and you are spending less) and you are getting a huge step up from the Olympus cameras in high ISO situations instead of a small one.
  • Options
    Jane B.Jane B. Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2009
    One thing to consider about Canon is the ease of adapting other brand lens. I do not have any experience in using or even looking for a Olympus to Canon adapter; but have used an M42 to Canon adapter with several lens and had fun with it. It does mean using av or manual and doing manual focusing but can get you access to focal lengths that you have not yet gotten for the new system or that the new system does not offer.
  • Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2009
    I highly recommend you make the switch!
    And when you post your Oly stuff for sale please please please let me know since I have and love my Olympus E620:D and need more lenses and gear. I know--selfish.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2009
    Jane B. wrote:
    One thing to consider about Canon is the ease of adapting other brand lens. I do not have any experience in using or even looking for a Olympus to Canon adapter; but have used an M42 to Canon adapter with several lens and had fun with it. It does mean using av or manual and doing manual focusing but can get you access to focal lengths that you have not yet gotten for the new system or that the new system does not offer.

It wont work, 4/3 is the shortest distance of current SLR's I know of so you can adapt any lens to a 4/3 body (they will meter too which is nice) but 4/3 lenses wont work on any others.

There is too much distance, and the 4/3 image circle is smaller. (2.0 crop VS Canon's 1.6)
  • Options
    edited October 22, 2009
    Don't leave Olympus! I use an E-620 as my main professional camera and don't feel it limits me and it has virtually the same specs as the E-30 in a smaller body. Are you sure changing to Nikon or Canon will be the key factor?

I've had a few people I've talked to when i was trying to get some part time work as a second shooter and I've looked through ads and most won't consider someone who shoots olympus. Whether it's because they already have color profiles set up for their workflow, whatever - I dunno... I"m sure they have their reason. And I'm not quite ready to branch out on my own too much right now... maybe for small things.

I did talk to my fiance' more about it last night... and he thinks I should rent each system I'm considering to give it a few days trial before deciding. What a smart man. :)- But not sure he'll realize how impatient I'll get about buying new gear once I get to use one for a few days... hehehe
  • Options
    Miguel DelinquentoMiguel Delinquento Registered Users Posts: 904 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2009
    Put your PM hat on
    As a project manager surely you are familiar with the saying "beware of solutions looking for a problem." So how strong is your requirement to shoot ISO 3200? Shots needing that performance usually entail indoor work: events, and performances; outdoors it is often at night, sports, street work, or some posed modeling shoots. For natural light work, it's the lenses that matter, and Oly glass has been highly regarded for the 35 years I've been buying equipment.

Most modern DSLRs (including Olympus) perform better than the skills of most non-full-time photographers. And all cameras, like other tools, have limitations and strengths of some sort. It's the photographer's job to overcome the tool's limitations with skill and exploit the tool's benefits with finesse.

Gear lust is certainly fun (I plead guilty too), but when I hold up the mirror, it's really a distraction from my further developing my shooting and post-processing skills.

M
  • Options
    edited October 22, 2009
    Qarik wrote:
    from a nikon shooter that is a fine dream list but not suitable for a pro. You really need to have backup of everything. A 2nd body like the d90, another lens in the standard range..say 50 1.4 or 1.8, and another sb900 flash. You simply can not be in a paid shoot with out redundancy as a pro.

Ok so add a second body and one more lens to the dream list.. :) Good point... I doubt I could handle letting go of my last olympus body until I did have a second body in the new system...since I"m always paranoid one will break and it'd kill me to be without a camera - even if I wasn't a pro!
  • Options
    edited October 22, 2009
    Most modern DSLRs (including Olympus) perform better than the skills of most non-full-time photographers. And all cameras, like other tools, have limitations and strengths of some sort. It's the photographer's job to overcome the tool's limitations with skill and exploit the tool's benefits with finesse.

M

Miguel,
    You're right... it's a valid question. But I do a lot of indoor shots in not great light.. I do believe I am getting better at handling it with my Olympus and I know how far I can push it. That's one of the reasons I got the PL25 F1.4! It's awesome for shooting indoors (if there's a lot of windows around) and the colors are amazing. I've done some pictures of babies and kids indoors without light but they only come out great if it's mid day or pretty bright inside.

If the light is dim though, sometimes I just go ahead and take the noise rather than miss a shot - because sometimes it's the memories that count. And then I'll mix in some flash shots to compensate. I got a chance to shoot some pictures at a David Cook Concert with my olympus E-30 and a kit lens (since i don't have a great zoom lens) and I impressed myself with a few of the shots. :) They are on my Zenfolio site if anyone wants to see: http://catluke.zenfolio.com So trust me, until I switch, I'll continue to figure out how to push Olympus to it's limits ;)

I just feel like having more latitude to use 3200 ISO or higher would give me a few better shots on certain occasions. For example, next year, my neice is getting married... and she can't afford a photographer. My sister asked me to take pictures and although it'll stress me out completely, I'll do it. I love photography and my stuff is better than none. :) And I KNOW they'll love em even if I think they suck.. hahahaha.. I'm pretty harsh on myself sometimes. I'm not as worried about the church ceremony as I am the reception. There will be a down and out party that evening around a big ol campfire. I can use flash... but it'd be so nice if I could use a higher ISO for a few shots.. to catch the mood lighting better. I guess I"m just all about having options... and if the option is there, I"ll learn how to use it to it's potential! And seeing that potential without being able to do it fully with Olympus, is what's fueling this plan.
  • Options
    Don KondraDon Kondra Registered Users Posts: 630 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2009
    With all due respect I would recommend you try some of the High Grade Zuiko lenses before you make a final decision.

Here's some light reading for you mwink.gif

Cheers, Don
  • Options
    Jane B.Jane B. Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2009
    Don Kondra wrote:
    With all due respect I would recommend you try some of the High Grade Zuiko lenses before you make a final decision.

Here's some light reading for you mwink.gif

Cheers, Don

I have noticed that several have missed that a good part of the reason OP is looking at Canon/Nikon is to get work as a second shooter for weddings. Several have turned her down because of brand of camera!

Jane B.
  • Options
    Don KondraDon Kondra Registered Users Posts: 630 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2009
  • Options
    ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2009
    Jane B. wrote:
    I have noticed that several have missed that a good part of the reason OP is looking at Canon/Nikon is to get work as a second shooter for weddings. Several have turned her down because of brand of camera!

Jane B.

Usually main shooters want to have a 2nd with the same type of camera gear for a consistent look to the images. This includes lenses. It's not an investment to take lightly. Minimum gear would be two bodies, pro lenses wide, med and telephoto and back up gear as well with a lot of memory and high ISO as well as lighting.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • Options
    20DNoob20DNoob Registered Users Posts: 318 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2009
    From what I can tell, my Nikon dream list is:
    D300s
    17-55 F2.8
    SB900
    85F1.4D
    70-200 VR F2.8
    Seems like a good kit to me, as far as comparisons go it's pretty even in my eyes.

I've haven't the knowledge of Nikon bodies so I'll zip it in regards to that.

Canons 17-55 has IS(VR) and I've seen some really slow shutter speed with really great results because of it.

No need to comment on Nikons flash system, plenty of Canon users have been wanting something comparable for a long time now.

85mm 1.4, no Canon equivalent as fas as aperture.

70-200, Canons got one but from everything I've read even from Canon users that have switched and later come back the Nikon variant is slightly superior.

Like someone mentioned, head to the store and handle them and see what best works for you. Then price out the kits to see what's more doable for your time line.

That said, if I were you I'd probably go Nikon. You've got a friend that shoots it so that means the two of you, providing your both comfortable replacing/fixing gear if damaged, can swap bit and pieces of kit.

Good luck.
    Christian.

5D2/1D MkII N/40D and a couple bits of glass.