Options

Kenzie - Sr. 2010

du8diedu8die Registered Users Posts: 358 Major grins
edited October 22, 2009 in People
Meet Kenzie. (Mackenzie)

I've known her and her family for 6 years now. Sr. Pics from yesterday (10/18). One of the few remaining nice days in WI.

C&C welcome. I'm working on getting fill flash right. A long way to go there!

Thanks

1)
686745962_ufWpQ-M.jpg

2)
686386338_jiQm3-M-1.jpg

3)
686374600_5yRWT-M-1.jpg

4)
686373223_fHR4k-M-1.jpg

5)
686369792_viz5d-M-1.jpg

6) - Novelty, yes. But, I saw it done and wanted to try it.
686387905_Xfvkz-M-1.jpg

7)
686388766_KyS2f-M-1.jpg
H2 Photography - Blog - Facebook - Twitter

Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular.

Why do people post their equipment in their sig. Isn't it kind of like bragging? That having been said...

Canon 40d Gripped (x2), Rebel (Original), Canon 70-200 f/2.8 USM L, Canon 300 f/4, Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, Canon 50mm f/1.8, Canon 17-55 f/3.5-5.6, ThinkTank Airport TakeOff

Comments

• Options
    craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2009
    These are very good. Very natural, very relaxed. She seems really likeable. (Pretty, too.)

The light in 2, 4, and 5 is perfect. 1 somehow doesn't quite look right to me, but I'm not sure why. 3 might have benefited from turning down the fill flash just a touch. Shadows that ought to be there hardly exist at all.

6 is a cute gimmick, but the shot doesn't appeal to me.

7 seems a little dark, as if you were keeping the exposure down rather than risk overexposing her white top. Nice shot, though.
    http://craigd.smugmug.com

Got bored with digital and went back to film.
  • Options
    rhondavidrhondavid Registered Users Posts: 433 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2009
    Very nice series. Very cute girl and nice capture of her beauty and personality. I like #4 in particular as it shows off those gorgeous blue eyes and pretty smile. I like #5 too but seems the focus is just a tad soft, at least on my monitor.
    David

D40
    18 - 55 kit lens
    55- 200 VR kit lens
    Lots of desires
  • Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2009
    Really nice!!

May I ask a question about #2? You have two flashes going based on the catch lights (or using a flash as the trigger). The one light is off to camera left which seems to catch a little more shadow from her hair. Do you do camera-left here to keep short lighting (since she is slightly looking in that direction)?

They're all really wonderful shots. I'm just asking trying to learn how light position choices get made and the trade-offs that they entail.

My take FWIW:
    #1 Really nice. Only nit is the leaf that clips her.
    #2 Love the image
    #3 Really good. You may want to lighten the dark line under her eyes a bit.
    #4 Beautiful
    #5 Ditto. I like to softness here.
    #6 .
    #7 Seems a little dark relative to the others. Nice pose and all, though.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    du8diedu8die Registered Users Posts: 358 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2009
    Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Andrew - honestly, I have no idea what that second catchlight is from. I'll zoom in on it and look when I get a chance. I had one flash slightly camera left with a Gary Fong diffuser. ETTL in that particular shot. I think I was at -2/3 FEC.

I'm very much learning as well. It was a bit windy, so I didn't want to take the umbrellas out. Also, I had to replace the batteries in my cactus v2's... ne_nau.gif

d8
    H2 Photography - Blog - Facebook - Twitter

Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular.

Why do people post their equipment in their sig. Isn't it kind of like bragging? That having been said...

Canon 40d Gripped (x2), Rebel (Original), Canon 70-200 f/2.8 USM L, Canon 300 f/4, Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, Canon 50mm f/1.8, Canon 17-55 f/3.5-5.6, ThinkTank Airport TakeOff
  • Options
    PhotosbychuckPhotosbychuck Registered Users Posts: 1,239 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2009
    My favs #2, #4 & #7 bowdown.gif

Take Care,
    Charles
    D300S, 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR

Aperture Focus Photography
    http://aperturefocus.com
  • Options
    mpriest13mpriest13 Registered Users Posts: 222 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2009
    My favs #2, #4 & #7 bowdown.gif

Take Care,
    Charles

Awesome set...you got the most important part and that is very NATURAL shots. She was obviously very comfortable with you and that is not always easy.

My only nit pick is the bokeh in #1 is a little distracting.
  • Options
    toddbtoddb Registered Users Posts: 114 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2009
    great set
    Like 2 and 5 the best...I even like the cell phone shot for a senior pic -- especiallly if she is the typical teenager and always on the phone. I like the occasional shot that depicts what the kid was into at that age. Will probably be a fun one for her to show her kids in 25 years so they can laugh at the phone she thought was 'cool'. Definitely novelty - but can have a place.
  • Options
    D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2009
    4&6

I'm good with the cell phone thing.....
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2009
    Love the cell phone camera idea!

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2009
    You have some great photos and expressions here. You can make them better by finding the direction of the light. Some of these have flat lighting. Just a turn of the head might have helped to catch some shadow on the face and would give it more depth.