Options

Tonya and Brian E-session

mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
edited October 22, 2009 in Weddings
***edit*** more images on page 2

C&C's are appreciated. This is from Sunday and these are just the ones that caught my eye in a quick look over. We were really hurtin' for the fall colors we were planning on shooting, but we got a touch of it here and there. Overall I am pretty happy with these but they were not the super easy to pose kind of couple that make me look my best!!!

First stop was Lake Park in Milwaukee and then the Third Ward area.

Thanks,
Matt

672518587_DDUud-L.jpg

672519520_EJzsJ-L.jpg

672507499_Voeha-L.jpg

672508422_8cSq9-L.jpg

672511340_3wXxi-L.jpg

672512167_czJGc-L.jpg

672513897_xQcCq-L.jpg

672517873_k3jiA-L.jpg
My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes

Comments

• Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2009
    Awesome set Matt! Great job on these, your processing, framing, etc, is spot on.

Out of curiosity, to achieve #6, did you have to have the couple stay very still? I've always wanted to try something like that.
  • Options
    MishkaMishka Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2009
    These are lovely! I especially like number 4--the processing looks really good. I know what you mean with difficult-to-pose people...but you did a great job!
  • Options
    edited October 6, 2009
    Thanks Ladies.

Yeah #6 ... First off, that is a flat out rip-off from Pat Fury, but the idea was doing a slow exposure with enough flash to freeze the subjects. Most of them missed but this one hit pretty good. I probably should have tried using 2nd curtain but I didn't even try that in this case. f6.3 - 1/2 sec and iso 50. It would have been easier if it was a bit darker out. I could have then used a higher iso and gotten a little more out of my flash. The subject can only stand so still so it is the flash that keeps the subject from bluring out. I probably could have gotten away with a little faster shutter speed too. I like the blur of the cars but a little less would have been as good or better. This was at about 30 min before sunset and I would do it again after sunset and probably get more what I wanted. I'll keep working on that pose but I think this one is OK. Thanks PF! ha!!

Matt
    My Smugmug site

Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • Options
    SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2009
    Hehe...yea, #6 is soooooo cool! Very nice series...they'll be very pleased. Good variety of processing to dude. Me likes.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2009
    I really like #2. 3 just looks awkward to me. This shot is so difficult to pull off well....(from my own personal experience)

4 is lovely. Nice use of xprocessing.

7 and 8...I'm just curious because I see *everyone* doing these shots. Do clients really like/buy shots where one person is in the foreground/in focus and the other person not? I must not be getting the memo....rolleyes1.gif
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    edited October 7, 2009
    urbanizes wrote:
    I really like #2. 3 just looks awkward to me. This shot is so difficult to pull off well....(from my own personal experience)

4 is lovely. Nice use of xprocessing.

7 and 8...I'm just curious because I see *everyone* doing these shots. Do clients really like/buy shots where one person is in the foreground/in focus and the other person not? I must not be getting the memo....rolleyes1.gif

Well Urbanizes, I did get the memo and it is in fact all the rage! I really like short dof, bokeh blured foregrounds and backgrounds... I'm always looking for a new way to use it. The fact that there is a posed subject in the background isn't what I like about those shots, but I do like putting my negative space to use. Not sure what the rest of the world likes about them but that is my take on it. Uncle joe can't get that shot unless he really dropped some ching on glass, and knows how to get out of the "p" mode. Those types of techniques, as simple as they are, are first impression seperaters (to the average eye) between pro and "friend at a wedding" imo. Also, it is my newest personal goal to become more of an "album shooter" and twin images like those double your album pages. I'm trying to train myself to think like that.

03. I actually like... I like the tilt because it makes him seem like he's leaning into her more than he is. I just wish I didn't chop his hands and that he wasn't folding his hands like that. otherwise I like that one.

Thanks Swartzy for the compliment. 6 was a lot of fun. Looking again, I am currently patting myself on the back for getting the Milwaukee Ale House sign in clear focus shooting handheld at 1/2 sec, but kicking myself for not getting the whole sign in. Isn't photography fun? when will I ever be able to go through a card and just say "PERFECT" and be on my happy way! Just skippin though life "click, click, click" and everything is money:snore.

Thanks for all the comments folks!!!!!

Matt
    My Smugmug site

• Options
    GrinderGrinder Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited October 9, 2009
    Hi Matt,

This is stunning work. I love the use of color choices and your direction and posing is spot on.

I hope we have an opportunity to work together sometime.
    Grinder
    Cinematographer
    www.vki-party.com

2 - 5D Mark II
    2 - 24mm-105mm f/4
    Canon 70mm-200mm f/2.8 IS L
    Tamron 28mm-300mm f/3.5 / 6.3 XR Di
    Canon 16mm-35mm f/2.8
    Custom Rig
    SteadiCam / Rails / Jibs
    available for global travel
  • Options
    JimFuglestadJimFuglestad Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2009
    Hi Matt,

These are really quite nice. Can I go through them 1 at a time?

Oh... I guess that was rhetorical, cuz here I go...

#1.

For sure they love this. Not being all wrapped up in their love and feel-goody, I want to see something a little bit different. My biggest things here is being too far away, not being zoomed in enough, and having the wrong angle perspective. It's a great moment good in itself. They will like it.

#2.

I get what you're doing here. It's just a bit to over-powering. The leading line with the shallow depth of field becomes the focal point of the photo - not the subjects themselves. The moment and expressions of the couple are great and natural... two feet to the left and this is very nice.

#3.

Nice photo, needs a bit more depth.

#4.

Ding Ding! I don't usually love cross-processing but this is done perfectly, IMO. Very very nice. I wish I knew what you did. That said, the dude's arm on his knee is completely out of place for the moment. Because of that, and that alone, the photo loses huge impact. She is awesome... I know this is real when I look at her, but he seems apprehensive and forced with his arm. Dang... if his right arm was on her knee... wow that would be nice.

His eyes are closed so he means it.

#5.

I can't even begin to tell you about this one... too much fill flash, too small an aperture, and there's not even close to the emotion these two people have for each other. But you already know all that.

#6.

This is really nice. I like the movement of the cars. I think it could use an overlay layer, but it's a sweet shot that seems to represent the couple and who they are.

#7 & #8. While I think the photos are nice, especially the one of the man in the front (although I think these need a multiply layer as well), I just don't get them. I know photographers that do these all the time for e-sessions and frankly, I don't get them. Why would a couple be so far away from each other? This style of shot reflects that one partner is stronger than the other. I don't get it. Fine photography, I just don't get it.

Jim
    Live with intention.
    Walk to the edge.
    Listen hard.
    Pratice wellness.
    Play with abandon.
    Laugh.
    Choose with no regrets.
    Appreciate your friends.
    Continue to learn.
    Do what you love.
    Live as if this is all there is.
  • Options
    edited October 9, 2009
    Grinder wrote:
    Hi Matt,

This is stunning work. I love the use of color choices and your direction and posing is spot on.

I hope we have an opportunity to work together sometime.

Hey Grinder! Thanks so much for stopping by and taking a look. Based on what I have seen from you (need to get back to your SDE/NDE thread...) that is a huge compliment. I would love to work with a high end video crew like you got goin on. Maybe some day it will happen. Ever get to Milwaukee?

Hi Matt,

These are really quite nice. Can I go through them 1 at a time?

Oh... I guess that was rhetorical, cuz here I go...

#1.

For sure they love this. Not being all wrapped up in their love and feel-goody, I want to see something a little bit different. My biggest things here is being too far away, not being zoomed in enough, and having the wrong angle perspective. It's a great moment good in itself. They will like it.

#2.

I get what you're doing here. It's just a bit to over-powering. The leading line with the shallow depth of field becomes the focal point of the photo - not the subjects themselves. The moment and expressions of the couple are great and natural... two feet to the left and this is very nice.

#3.

Nice photo, needs a bit more depth.

#4.

Ding Ding! I don't usually love cross-processing but this is done perfectly, IMO. Very very nice. I wish I knew what you did. That said, the dude's arm on his knee is completely out of place for the moment. Because of that, and that alone, the photo loses huge impact. She is awesome... I know this is real when I look at her, but he seems apprehensive and forced with his arm. Dang... if his right arm was on her knee... wow that would be nice.

His eyes are closed so he means it.

#5.

I can't even begin to tell you about this one... too much fill flash, too small an aperture, and there's not even close to the emotion these two people have for each other. But you already know all that.

#6.

This is really nice. I like the movement of the cars. I think it could use an overlay layer, but it's a sweet shot that seems to represent the couple and who they are.

#7 & #8. While I think the photos are nice, especially the one of the man in the front (although I think these need a multiply layer as well), I just don't get them. I know photographers that do these all the time for e-sessions and frankly, I don't get them. Why would a couple be so far away from each other? This style of shot reflects that one partner is stronger than the other. I don't get it. Fine photography, I just don't get it.

Jim

Thanks for the detailed critique Jim. Hopefully you will stop back and explain a few things for me. Not sure of your comments on #1... are you saying I should have shot a different perspective or are you saying you like what I shot... you confused me on that one. Are you suggesting I crop into it more??

you comment on 2 I understand. I like that one though and shoot that basic shot quite a lot. Next time I will try a few other angles on my foreground blur and see if I like it your way better.

Not sure what you are saying on 3... more dof? 2 and 3 are obviously the same location. I probably have 30-40 shots from that bridge. Once I get to go through the whole set I may fiind others that work better, but here again I like this one.

4 was a little tough for me. I shot 10 or so on the bench but only a couple with the wide angle distortion like what I posted. As for hands, I suck at that. I really struggle with those little posing details but I am working on it. I tend to focus on one part of the comp and get that dialed in while other parts are lacking. As for the split toning... I am NOT good at photoshop so I use actions. That is TRA's "pool party" and I'm not sure that I did anything other than a 1 click on it. Usually I have to do some tweaking and often go back to raw to reprocess my jpg so it works out how I want it after the action. That particular action works best when the jpg is a little on the hot side IMO.

Your comments on 5 I mostly agree with. I love that burled up maple though! Not sure what you mean about too small of an aperture... are you meaning size of the hole or the number? I shot this at f6.3 and the idea was to get some background blur but get good detail on the tree. I could have blurred the tree or left the background in focus. I don't think I would want a different dof on this one.

As for the posing on the last two, that is the first time I have shot that pose. I didn't think I would get so beat up for it!!! I don't love it, I don't hate it. As I explained to Urbanaries, it is one of my attempts at shooting twin images for album use. Obviously with that type of a pose you can't use one without the other in a book.

Also, I'm not sure I know what you mean by an overlay/multiply layer. Remember I am not good at photoshop If you are feeling really generous you can feel free to copy the images, do what your thinking and post it here so I understand. If not that is fine too!

thanks again for all the detailed comments Jim. I know it takes a lot of time to do that and I appreciate you taking time here.

Matt
    My Smugmug site

• Options
    GrinderGrinder Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited October 15, 2009
    mmmatt wrote:
    Hey Grinder! Thanks so much for stopping by and taking a look. Based on what I have seen from you (need to get back to your SDE/NDE thread...) that is a huge compliment. I would love to work with a high end video crew like you got goin on. Maybe some day it will happen. Ever get to Milwaukee?

I might just pay you a visit and show you some tricks if you show me some Photoshop!!!!

Love it, Love it, Love it!

-G
    Grinder
    Cinematographer
    www.vki-party.com

2 - 5D Mark II
    2 - 24mm-105mm f/4
    Canon 70mm-200mm f/2.8 IS L
    Tamron 28mm-300mm f/3.5 / 6.3 XR Di
    Canon 16mm-35mm f/2.8
    Custom Rig
    SteadiCam / Rails / Jibs
    available for global travel
  • Options
    edited October 15, 2009
    Grinder wrote:

I might just pay you a visit and show you some tricks if you show me some Photoshop!!!!

Love it, Love it, Love it!

-G
    Well consider yourself invited! That being said, I could show you all I know about photoshop in a couple hours! That probably wouldn't be the best use of a plane ticket from Cali to Wisco!!! Thanks for the kind words though.

Just heard back from my client on this sample set, and they love them. Her fave is the bench shot. His is the first one where they are kissing with the lake in the background and I did my glowing sepia thing. They also raved about the street shot, and the twin images with one in focus and one out. So MOSTLY the comments here were consistant with what you guys thought! Another one they really liked was one I didn't show you guys because I didn't like the shadowing on Brians face and the bridge rails are a little off kilter. This just goes to show how to the consumer, the technical issues we criticize ourselves for are nbd in many cases. This is the shot I'm talking about:

681921350_SSsAa-L.jpg

Matt
    My Smugmug site

• Options
    Mr_Beach_BumMr_Beach_Bum Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited October 15, 2009
    mmmatt wrote:
    Well Urbanizes, I did get the memo and it is in fact all the rage! I really like short dof, bokeh blured foregrounds and backgrounds... I'm always looking for a new way to use it. The fact that there is a posed subject in the background isn't what I like about those shots, but I do like putting my negative space to use. Not sure what the rest of the world likes about them but that is my take on it. Uncle joe can't get that shot unless he really dropped some ching on glass, and knows how to get out of the "p" mode. Those types of techniques, as simple as they are, are first impression seperaters (to the average eye) between pro and "friend at a wedding" imo. Also, it is my newest personal goal to become more of an "album shooter" and twin images like those double your album pages. I'm trying to train myself to think like that.

03. I actually like... I like the tilt because it makes him seem like he's leaning into her more than he is. I just wish I didn't chop his hands and that he wasn't folding his hands like that. otherwise I like that one.

Thanks Swartzy for the compliment. 6 was a lot of fun. Looking again, I am currently patting myself on the back for getting the Milwaukee Ale House sign in clear focus shooting handheld at 1/2 sec, but kicking myself for not getting the whole sign in. Isn't photography fun? when will I ever be able to go through a card and just say "PERFECT" and be on my happy way! Just skippin though life "click, click, click" and everything is money:snore.

Thanks for all the comments folks!!!!!

Matt

Ahhhh - now I get it.... shooting for the album! Genius! I'm glad this came up because over the past year or two, I've been looking at various shots like 7&8 and thinking "why are we conveying separation for two people that are about to join..." So, I agree on everything you said about composition and DoF, maybe there is a better way to tell the story? Like what if they were looking at each other? What if there was a sense of longing to be closer to the other? Or "hey that hot chick / guy just caught my eye". Maybe he's looking at her as shes walking away looking back? I'm just beginning, so this has me thinking of the potential for this type of shot.

Fantastic series!
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2009
    Ahhhh - now I get it.... shooting for the album! Genius! I'm glad this came up because over the past year or two, I've been looking at various shots like 7&8 and thinking "why are we conveying separation for two people that are about to join..." So, I agree on everything you said about composition and DoF, maybe there is a better way to tell the story? Like what if they were looking at each other? What if there was a sense of longing to be closer to the other? Or "hey that hot chick / guy just caught my eye". Maybe he's looking at her as shes walking away looking back? I'm just beginning, so this has me thinking of the potential for this type of shot.

Fantastic series!

Thank you sir! Yes you can do this type of thing in many ways. As for the separation thing one could say it is symbolic of a future union... they are in each others life but not yet fully bound. In my case I did a portrait of her with him in the negative space and one of him with her in the negative space. I wasn't going for any symbolism.

Thanks again for the kind words!

Matt
    My Smugmug site

• Options
    edited October 18, 2009
    Few more

685222325_ywh4q-L.jpg

685240796_KNsrV-L.jpg

12 & 13
    685244846_BXJbF-L.jpg685243424_NWb4D-L.jpg

14 & 15
    685265354_HhQNS-M-1.jpg685266944_fGYso-M.jpg

16 & 17
    685199612_xv339-L-1.jpg685200434_XUGrS-L-1.jpg

685198070_8vnZp-L-1.jpg

685268175_eb82J-L.jpg

20. Swiped this pose too! I'm going to have to start recommending manicures before shoots!!!
    685285332_MvVg9-L.jpg
    My Smugmug site

• Options
    Crystal-PixelCrystal-Pixel Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
    edited October 18, 2009
    I love #4! The post is great! How do you get that effect??
    #2 is awkward for me, I think its the way they are standing. Maybe if the girl was in front of the guy. :)
    Crystal Saly

My Smug: www.crystalpixelphotography.com
    My Site: www.crystal-pixel.com

"I'm in love with my Canon.. & lovely L Lenses..."
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2009
    I love the last set you just put up aswell! Really nice :) The up against the Wall shots are really great.
    Crystal Saly

• Options
    edited October 19, 2009
    I love #4! The post is great! How do you get that effect??
    #2 is awkward for me, I think its the way they are standing. Maybe if the girl was in front of the guy. :)

4 is done using a Photoshop action called "pool party" from TRA www.gettotallyrad.com/ There are many usable actions between their 2 sets.

Thanks for the kind words!

Matt
    My Smugmug site

• Options
    KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2009
    As far as the one partner in focus, one out goes... for me it does a good job of taking care of individual portraits without ignoring the other partner. Keeping one partner in the background shows that they are a couple and that the person in the background is part of the foregrounder's life... even though it's primarily a portrait of the foregrounder. It seems a little more appropriate to me for engagement shoots than two completely separate individual shots.

I never would've associated it with one partner being more dominant or important than the other, but maybe that's just me. Interesting how people can interpret the same thing differently :)
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2009
    mmmatt wrote:
    4 is done using a Photoshop action called "pool party" from TRA www.gettotallyrad.com/ There are many usable actions between their 2 sets.

Thanks for the kind words!

Matt

Wow those filters are literally "Totally Rad" lol.. I'm going to have to really look into getting them! Kinda spendy though, is it worth it?
    Crystal Saly

• Options
    edited October 20, 2009
    Wow those filters are literally "Totally Rad" lol.. I'm going to have to really look into getting them! Kinda spendy though, is it worth it?
    yup. Money well spent IMHO. There may be cheaper options that are just as good but I have only ever used these. I saw a demo at their both at Imaging USA last year and bought it there. I can't come close to this kind of look without them. I've tried!

Matt
    My Smugmug site

• Options
    edited October 20, 2009
    mmmatt wrote:
    yup. Money well spent IMHO. There may be cheaper options that are just as good but I have only ever used these. I saw a demo at their both at Imaging USA last year and bought it there. I can't come close to this kind of look without them. I've tried!

Matt

Which ones do you have? I am thinking of getting the Original one
    Crystal Saly

• Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2009
    I like 6 and the last one.

Lots of people have done shots like six don't worry about thinking you are ripping it off. If a person posts a shot on a web site he should expect others to use an idea if it is original...the car idea has been done by a lot of people.

Some nice shots....couple looks like they never did reach that relaxed phase where the shots just flow. Sometimes you just never get there...I have a reshoot next week of a couple just like this.

I think these came out pretty good.
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2009
    zoomer wrote:
    I like 6 and the last one.

Lots of people have done shots like six don't worry about thinking you are ripping it off. If a person posts a shot on a web site he should expect others to use an idea if it is original...the car idea has been done by a lot of people.

Some nice shots....couple looks like they never did reach that relaxed phase where the shots just flow. Sometimes you just never get there...I have a reshoot next week of a couple just like this.

I think these came out pretty good.

Not worried about it. I do it a LOT. Your stuff too! I just try to post more original ideas here. And yeah... they were stiff. I am usually telling people NOT to look at me so much and just talk and things like that. He's real quiet though and neither of them are the outgoing happy-go-lucky type. I will know better how to direct them at the wedding though. That is one of the best things about e-sessions!!
    Which ones do you have? I am thinking of getting the Original one

get them both. Better deal that way. the texture thing is new though and I know nothing about that.

Matt
    My Smugmug site

• Options
    cj99sicj99si Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2009
    6 for sure, but they are all great.
  • Options
    edited October 21, 2009
    cj99si wrote:
    6 for sure, but they are all great.

thanks CJ!

matt
    My Smugmug site

• Options
    joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2009