Options

Your thoughts on Flash Diffusers...

Crystal-PixelCrystal-Pixel Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
edited October 22, 2009 in Weddings
So I'm not going to lie, I hate using my flash. I am never happy with the results. I have a diffuser on it and try to bounce it off the ceiling and the laps in the cycle allows me to shoot another shot without flash (on continuous) When I put the two photos next to each other 90% of the time I choose the photo without the flash. So I thought about upgrading my flash so I can try to do more with it but instead I ran into Gary Fongs flash diffuser. I watched the videos and read some reviews and ended up purchasing the Cloud. I will get it on Friday - just in time for two family photoshoot planned for the weekend.

Has anyone here used the Lightsphere Cloud? What are your results? Also any tips on flash? I use mine on occasion...but like I said.. i'm so unhappy with the results..
Crystal Saly

My Smug: www.crystalpixelphotography.com
My Site: www.crystal-pixel.com

"I'm in love with my Canon.. & lovely L Lenses..."

Comments

• Options
    Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2009
    Just a few, but very "key", thoughts....

1. An invaluable tool
    2. ...when used correctly
    3. See #1, then 2

I'm not trying to be a smart-azz, I promise! I was in the same school of thought. Hated it...with a passion! Then I found Strobist.com....then I found Dgrin....then I read, and then read some more, and then after that I READ.

With diffusers & umbrellas & softboxes & studio strobes & pocket wizards & & &......

Your abilities, along with natural light and the manipulation of it, will never meet with a closed door! Keep your mind and your possibilities open.

A technical note...or question actually. What model is your flash? I imagine the second shot is "sans flash" because your settings are not set for fast-sync.
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2009
    Idlewild wrote:
    Just a few, but very "key", thoughts....

1. An invaluable tool
    2. ...when used correctly
    3. See #1, then 2

I'm not trying to be a smart-azz, I promise! I was in the same school of thought. Hated it...with a passion! Then I found Strobist.com....then I found Dgrin....then I read, and then read some more, and then after that I READ.

With diffusers & umbrellas & softboxes & studio strobes & pocket wizards & & &......

Your abilities, along with natural light and the manipulation of it, will never meet with a closed door! Keep your mind and your possibilities open.

A technical note...or question actually. What model is your flash? I imagine the second shot is "sans flash" because your settings are not set for fast-sync.

I have the 420ex. I was thinking of upgrading but I wanted to first get flash to work with me.... I dont know if I'm just not using it right.. my settings aren't right. But even when I do weddings.. I dont even bother firing the darn thing...
    Crystal Saly

• Options
    CmauCmau Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
    edited October 20, 2009
    Hey Crystal,

I've used the Demb Flip-It with some success for indoor shots. It's basically just a bigger bounce card, so you set the flash to bounce off a wall or ceiling and a little bit of the light is thrown forward as fill to eliminate raccoon eyes. It can also be used creatively to mimic the look of off-camera flash in certain situations. As with any small light source, it works better when you're in fairly close.

Some photographers swear by flash brackets, but they're expensive and bulky. In my work I'm switching mainly to off-camera flash. I do have the luxury of a free assistant (my fiance) who serves as a human powered lightstand and eliminates some of the hassle of setting that up, however, for the reception in particular you can more or less set up an off-camera flash or two in one spot and not have to move them all night... and it makes a world of difference. Like IdleWild, I strongly recommend Strobist as a great way to learn what you're doing with off-camera flash. Just go through the Lighting 101 and 102 sections and you'll be well on your way.

Cheers,
    Craig
  • Options
    Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2009
    I have the 420ex. I was thinking of upgrading but I wanted to first get flash to work with me.... I dont know if I'm just not using it right.. my settings aren't right. But even when I do weddings.. I dont even bother firing the darn thing...

It's you. Again, not being rude. I see alot of what you're saying in the very same attitude that I HAD at one time. Read everything you can on your flash model. Read everything you can over at Strobist. Practice. Practice. Practice. Were you aware that you can use that flash as an off-shoe slave unit? It will come.....but only because you want it to! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited October 21, 2009
    Idlewild wrote:
    It's you. Again, not being rude. I see alot of what you're saying in the very same attitude that I HAD at one time. Read everything you can on your flash model. Read everything you can over at Strobist. Practice. Practice. Practice. Were you aware that you can use that flash as an off-shoe slave unit? It will come.....but only because you want it to! thumb.gif

Thanks for the info :) I will definitely read up on Strobist. I see all these other photos that Photographers do WITH flash.. and Love them... I just need to learn so I can do the same! I know it will only improve my photography. Thanks again for the encouragement
    Crystal Saly

• Options
    edited October 21, 2009
    Cmau wrote:
    Hey Crystal,

I've used the Demb Flip-It with some success for indoor shots. It's basically just a bigger bounce card, so you set the flash to bounce off a wall or ceiling and a little bit of the light is thrown forward as fill to eliminate raccoon eyes. It can also be used creatively to mimic the look of off-camera flash in certain situations. As with any small light source, it works better when you're in fairly close.

Some photographers swear by flash brackets, but they're expensive and bulky. In my work I'm switching mainly to off-camera flash. I do have the luxury of a free assistant (my fiance) who serves as a human powered lightstand and eliminates some of the hassle of setting that up, however, for the reception in particular you can more or less set up an off-camera flash or two in one spot and not have to move them all night... and it makes a world of difference. Like IdleWild, I strongly recommend Strobist as a great way to learn what you're doing with off-camera flash. Just go through the Lighting 101 and 102 sections and you'll be well on your way.

Cheers,
    Craig

Thanks for the input! I will definitely read up on Strobist. - And try not to hate my flash so much lol
    Crystal Saly

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2009
    GeT a copy of Joe McNally's HOTSHOE DIARIES also....it is a very good read.
    Scott Kelby's Digital Photography Book - vol. 1-3 so far....lots of flash info in vol2 & 3..........

For those that only shoot with available light: That would be flash a lot of the time, as it is the most available, controllable and consistently constant spectrum of light available to us...............and you can easily carry it in your cam bag.................

As for diffusers: Joe McNally sugggest you always keep the included diffuser on your flash (now he shoots Nikon and uses the SB600-900 hotshoe strobes and a STO-FEN type diffuser is included with the SB900) and then he adds other diffusers over that, he does recommend the Lumiquest BIGBOUNCE & the PROMAX SYSTEM & THE SOFTBOX lll..........I have used LumiQuest for many years.....their original SOFTBOX and it has worked well for me..........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2009
    I use the Lightsphere Cloud whenever I use my flash. I keep them attached at all times. It provides very nice lighting when used properly. Make sure you're angling it upright appropriately keeping in mind any curves / funks in the ceiling. Usually normal flash power will be fine, but sometimes with very high ceilings you'll need to increase the flash power to get it to properly illuminate your subjects.
  • Options
    edited October 21, 2009
    Shima wrote:
    I use the Lightsphere Cloud whenever I use my flash. I keep them attached at all times. It provides very nice lighting when used properly. Make sure you're angling it upright appropriately keeping in mind any curves / funks in the ceiling. Usually normal flash power will be fine, but sometimes with very high ceilings you'll need to increase the flash power to get it to properly illuminate your subjects.

Is it any good for Outdoor Photography? Or only useful when a ceiling is available?
    Crystal Saly

• Options
    CmauCmau Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
    edited October 21, 2009
    Is it any good for Outdoor Photography? Or only useful when a ceiling is available?

Short answer, at least as far as I know, is no... not very useful outdoors at all.

Any flash diffuser/softbox is going to reduce light output by at least a stop, and probably closer to two. Outdoors in bright sunlight that usually means that unless you're in really close, or setting a really high shutter speed to reduce ambient light in your photographs (using full manual mode - shutter speed controls ambient exposure, aperture controls flash exposure), the flash output may be too weak even to provide fill.

A big part of the reason for using a Lightsphere-type diffuser is that it's designed to throw light around in all directions like a bare lightbulb would... and that light then reflects back off the walls and ceiling to create softer illumination for your subject.
  • Options
    SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2009
    Diffusers are good to use.....at times...not always. Never get locked into one type of shooting. ON camera and OFF camera each has it's place....all dependent on the look one wishes to acheive. IF you are not happy with the way the flash looks, then all the gadgets in the world won't improve things much. What is more important is to learn the relationships of ISO, aperture, and shutter speed in conjuction with flash power, direction including measuring abient to flash mix. Sorry for the long sentence..Laughing.gif

This thread may be of interest...read it through the end as there are examples...no modifiers were used.

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=146264
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552