Options

D300S: First impressions of a guy that doesn't know a lot.

ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
edited November 11, 2009 in Cameras
So for some reason, I decided I needed to upgrade my D90. Don't get me wrong the D90 was an awesome camera. But there is something about the metal body and weather sealing of the D300 that I really like. I seem to always be shooting outside, and the conditions are not always favorable. So in the back of my mind I wished I went with the D300 from the start. But there was no significant performance gain to get one. Some say the 300 had less performance than the D90. So I didn't feel the urge. So enter the D300s. A few upgrades here and there tempted me.

What I notice is this:

First off. The body feels tough. And everything is solid. Not that the D90 was not solid as hell for a plastic camera. This thing just feels like a pro camera. And then there is the sound. Not that it is important. The shutter on the D300s just sounds serious. It is louder and lower sounding than the D90. And at full speed 7fps it sounds like a machine gun.

The next big one is the autofocus system. Not noticeably faster than the D90 with my AFS lens but it does seem much more accurate. I shoot a lot of pics of motorcycle trials. The movement is fast and then slow. So tracking is important and can be challenging. The way the D300s allows you to group your focus points is really nice. I found the 21point center grouping to be great for trials. This past weekend I had more shots in VERY sharp focus. The crops at 1:1 are just plain sharper with less noise.

Playing with it inside the house I am seeing less noise up at ISO 3200. Is it less noise or is it the awesome autofocus again yielding a sharper shot. Either way, it is an improvement over the D90 in low light. I am sure there will be lots of comparisons on this subject in the coming months.

The bigger heavier body balances my bigger lens better too. The 17-55 2.8 is my main lens and it is an anchor. And my other favorite weapon is the 80-200AFS. That thing seems to weigh about 8lbs. I didn't think it would help so much but, it does. My girlfriend noticed it the most. I though she wouldn't like the heavier weight. But she said it was better balanced and easier to hold.

And last thing is the controls. It has switches and buttons for everything. Going to the menu will be a thing of the past for me.

It looks mean, sounds mean, and focuses incredibly. I like it.

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,911 moderator
    edited October 21, 2009
    Congratulations and thanks for your impressions. clap.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    cab.in.bostoncab.in.boston Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2009
    Zerodog wrote:
    ...And last thing is the controls. It has switches and buttons for everything. Going to the menu will be a thing of the past for me.

It looks mean, sounds mean, and focuses incredibly. I like it.

Sounds awesome. I find myself in the same camp. I have a D90 and love it. Problem is, my wife loves it, too, and we find ourselves often both wanting it at the same time. So, I'm toying with getting another body. My wife pretty much uses green-button mode all the time, but she's experimenting a little bit with taking control. Plus, she really likes the feel and weight of the D90. Considering she doesn't really use the functions of the D90, I'd thought maybe a D5000 would be a good body for her, but after playing around with it a bit, we really noticed a difference in how that body feels and operates.

So that means I'm thinking of perhaps another D90, or stepping up to a D300s or used D300. Cost (and ability) wise, another D90 makes a ton of sense, but I can't help but be seduced by the D300s.

What caught my eye in your analysis is the comment about the buttons... When I look at the two cameras side by side, what am I missing? It looks like the D90 has almost, if not all of the same controls on the body itself as the D300s. There may be a combination of a button press and thumbwheel turn as opposed to a switch, but it seems like most everything is out there for you without digging through a menu. Can you give me some examples of what you mean when you say going to the D300s has made it easier to access various controls? In fact, the main difference I see with regard to controls is that the D90 has a dedicated bracket button and as far as I can tell, the D300s doesn't, or at least the D300 didn't, and I don't know if it's been put back. I totally understand the difference in build quality, weather sealing, etc, and I would see those as good reasons to upgrade (along with the better performance), but I'm just curious how the controls are different because to me it seems that just about everything the D300s has an on-body control for, the D90 does as well.

Enjoy your new camera, you can color me green! :D
    Father, husband, dog lover, engineer, Nikon shooter
    My site 365 Project
  • Options
    edited October 22, 2009
    You are right. Most everything is available on the D90 buttons in some combination or another. It wasn't bad at all. But a few had me going to the menu. Even with programing the FN button to be an AF area selector. For me it is easier and faster to do the switches on the D300s. The other nice thing is at a glance you see what settings you are on.

For buttons/ switches.
    • AF mode, single, continuous, and manual.
    • AF area, single, auto area, and multi point
    • I programmed the preview button for pulling up my flash mode menu (switching between TTL, manual and commander mode for off camera flash, I do this a lot)
    • I programmed the AF/AE button for my auto focus points and groupings (1 point, 9 points, 21 points, 51 points, 51 points with 3d tracking)
    • When I hit the menu button it goes directly to the self timer page to change your timers. For some reason I do this a lot.
    I am sure I am forgetting stuff too. This is just the stuff that sticks out for me.

The one thing that really pisses me off is the fact that the D300s does not have IR and cant use the little wireless remote the D90 used. I just assumed it would work, why not? On top of that the Nikon wireless remote for the D200 on up is $200. That is ridiculous. I thought the little wireless remote was very convenient, although not the most reliable. I missed many hummingbird shots because I wasn't in just the right position to trigger it and sometimes took a bit of fiddling with to trigger. But it was simple and tiny and I didn't need to hook anything up. I used it all the time. But I can see the need for something more reliable, why not have both? After a bit of hunting I found there are a huge variety of wireless remotes available from Hong Kong land. I ended up getting a Phottix Cleon. It was only $35 shipped. The range claims 100 meters! 100ft would be fine. Cool, but you need to hook up a receiver to the 10pin port on the camera. So it is just more crap to set up and carry around.
  • Options
    alexfalexf Registered Users Posts: 436 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2009
    Congrats! That is the first impression I got when I migrated from D80 to D300. I still shoot the D80 on occasion as my backup but no comparison IMO.

Plus the D300 opens a new world of AI/AIS lenses for you. Bargain lenses with excellent quality. Almost half my stable is AI now. Love them.
    AlexFeldsteinPhotography.com
    Nikon D700, D300, D80 and assorted glass, old and new.
  • Options
    insanefredinsanefred Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2009
    The D300 is a camera to last. "S" version or not.
    My canon shooting buddies stopped hanging out with me when I got a D300 about 2 years ago. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    TpsfotoTpsfoto Registered Users Posts: 175 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2009
    I just sold my D90 & bought a D300s .... I used to have a D300 .... but after 50,000 shots or so I sold it to keep the gear fresh..... my D90 had only 9000 shots but I found that it took a bit too long for an image to come up on the screen when it sat for a couple of minutes in between shots..... also it would take a bit too long to wake up when sat idle for a while .... my D300 never did that.... memory cards were Sandisk Ultras.... so I do not think it was the cards. Well this body along with my 2 D3's will shoot on Friday 2 college basketball games .....Sat a wedding, Sunday a College event......
  • Options
    edited November 11, 2009
    After using it for a few weeks I really am liking it. I have read a few reviews on it, one in popular photography magazine that say the D90 is still better for noise? From what I have seen with it in real use this is not at all the case. The D90 seemed good up to 1600. 3200 was pushing the envelope. The 300S is totally usable at 3200. So what gives ne_nau.gif
    What I notice is at any ISO the 1:1 crops are sharper. I think this is just the auto focus system.