Options

A few shots of girls 12-10 softball game

mereimagemereimage Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
edited June 20, 2005 in Sports
This is from my nieces softball tournament -I didn't realize how this sport has grown, the place was packed with dozens of teams and hundreds of cars with no place left to park...its becoming as popular as AAU basketball.

on deck batter is early with swing-my neice got a double
24967727-M.jpg

missed play at third base
24967755-L.jpg

pitcher-wind up-I like the shot stop-she is disciplined and ready to field
24967800-M.jpg

great form and she is in in the air on her hop
24967822-M.jpg

happy winners
24967834-M.jpg

24967868-M.jpg

happy twins -catcher and SS
24967857-M.jpg

Sam-she jacked two out of the park(I wasn't there for those games:dunno:dunno:dunno:dunno:dunno)
24967847-M.jpg

All comments and critiques welcome, I appreciate your indulgence/////Mereimage

Comments

• Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2005
    mereimage wrote:
    This is from my nieces softball tournament -I didn't realize how this sport has grown, the place was packed with dozens of teams and hundreds of cars with no place left to park...its becoming as popular as AAU basketball.

on deck batter is early with swing-my neice got a double
    24967727-M.jpg

missed play at third base
    24967755-L.jpg

pitcher-wind up-I like the shot stop-she is disciplined and ready to field
    24967800-M.jpg

24967822-M.jpg

happy winners

happy twins -catcher and SS

Sam-she jacked two out of the park(I wasn't there for those gamesne_nau.gifdunnone_nau.gifdunnone_nau.gif)

lovely series.. this one 24967834-S.jpg I specially love!
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2005
    Hi
    You got some really nice action. After my experience this weekend, I think all teams should wear orange - it photographs so well!

My favorites of the bunch:

mereimage wrote:

24967822-M.jpg

happy winners
    24967834-M.jpg

• Options
    edited June 18, 2005
    Yes she is a beautiful happy child
    ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Mereimage
  • Options
    edited June 18, 2005
    Thank you
    That pitcher had great facial expreesions and put everything she has in each pitch.////Mereimage
  • Options
    OnreyOnrey Registered Users Posts: 188 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2005
    Great Pictures, I take Softball Pics also and find some Uniforms take better pics than others..Strang thing !

Btw, are you on the field taking the pics ? If not I would suggest asking coachs, umpires ect, ASA rules allow Media on the field and have a designated spot for us mwink.gif Makes for better photos than thru or over the fences.

(Wishpering) Also, the pitchers form, I hate to say this but that photo shows that was a illegal pitch, One foot must remain on the ground at all times and that photos shows she is "Crow Hopping" but shhhhhh I wont mention it again.:): Again great pics, it can be challenging to capture a great momment.
    Brad Fite :D
    www.fitephotography.com
    Canon 1D MkIIN, Canon 50D, Canon 300 f/2.8L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L, Canon 24-70 f/2.8L, Canon 85 f/1.8, Canon 1.4 Extender,
    Canon 580 & 420 Flash, Pocket Wizards,
    Alien Bee 800, Other misc stuff
  • Options
    Rufio220Rufio220 Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2005
    Onrey, thats funny.

anyways. i like those pictures. they show the emothion of the games. Good job, they are really cool.
    ~Take it while it's there, cause tomorrow it will be gone~
  • Options
    edited June 20, 2005
    Thanks for the advice
    I didn't think to ask to be on the field, my neice was playing and I was trying to be unobtrusive. Some times I feel my taking photos may make my kids and relatives selfconscious while they are playing. But it would have been great to be on the field, I'll have to ask next time. I also shoot Basketball and don't use flash for fear of upsetting coaches and fans. Appreciate your perusal of these photos..............................Mereimage
  • Options
    edited June 20, 2005
    Thanks
    I kind of thought it might be 'illegal' but I liked the way she put everything she had into that pitch.......Mereimage
  • Options
    edited June 20, 2005
    I noticed this before
    My sons football team wear dark maroon ? uniforms and the opposing teams players always stand out in the photos even tho. their not the subject of the shot.............Mereimage
  • Options
    OnreyOnrey Registered Users Posts: 188 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2005
    Mereimage, I understand about the colors, after a long day of shooting pics and then get home thinking you have some great shots, you find that the color of the uniforms really dont look that good.

Yep, Illegal pitch...I have many just like that rolleyes1.gif, the umpires dont usually call it tho unless it just so obvious like 1 foot in the air.

I wouldnt worry about the parents or kids, I have not had 1 complaint, besides you can get much better pics that way. I also try not to be very vocal or speak to the kids escpecially if Im on the visitors side, however after awhile you get to know most the coachs, umps and some of the opposing teams players and parents, I have sold nearly as many pics (cd's) to the other teams.

What helped me alot this year was :
    I took pics at every game I could attend ( JV and Varsity) for both opposing teams, I used our teams pics as a fund raiser for them, then GAVE the other team thiers on a CD, they all were very much appreciative all season THEN during torunaments/playoffs the opposing teams would ask for some pics then I could charge them. But my main thought was I just wanted them to have their photos, not many people around with a great camera to take pics of their kids ( alot of Point and shoots thru fence) but we al know how most of them turn out.

Please take a look at the few photos I have on my Softball thread here and let me know what you think also.

Happy shooting
    Brad Fite :D
    www.fitephotography.com
    Canon 1D MkIIN, Canon 50D, Canon 300 f/2.8L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L, Canon 24-70 f/2.8L, Canon 85 f/1.8, Canon 1.4 Extender,
    Canon 580 & 420 Flash, Pocket Wizards,
    Alien Bee 800, Other misc stuff
  • Options
    therootheroo Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited June 20, 2005
    Good Shots
    Very nice shots. Sports photography is my favorite. About being on the field, be polite and try to stay out of the way of the play. I don't talk with the players and coach. But I try to talk with umpires before the game so they will know who I am, and to get their idea on the best place to stay out of the way. I think you will find from highschool down they enjoy seeing pic's of themself . One other tip on highschool offer to donate any pics they want to the yearbook, That will get you access to alot of places.
    Theroo
  • Options
    wingerwinger Registered Users Posts: 694 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2005
    Not bad, the colors are great, the photos are in focus and sharp, but when doing sports think of getting faces. You got some great shots of them when not in play and smiling, but what does that pitcher look like when she throws.

I love shooting softball, and I dont go on the field ( I imagine they would let me if I asked but I could of had access to the dugout if I wanted) I get more than enough access from the permiter of the field.
    Here are some of mine from the season to give you ideas:
    Playing with OFF perspective:
    21296042-M-3.jpg
    Coach giving batter advice:
    21603483-M-1.jpg
    Bat on ball (pitcher, who on a game where she had a no-hitter also had two homers, she is a junior and this is the first year in college of taking her licks)
    21603652-M-2.jpg
    2 of pitchers.
    19130612-M-1.jpg

19130615-M-1.jpg
    (not really good from a UMass prespective since her back is to me, but I cropped it tight and it became a great photo of a close play (she was called out)
    19801143-M-2.jpg
    another OFF
    21006398-M.jpg

19130964-M-1.jpg
    This is an example of a shot that shows action but I wouldnt use for a gallery, media guide or anything....no faces :(
    21603505-M-1.jpg
    When shooting think of the background, I know sometimes there is nothing you can do about it, but sometimes moving can give you a better shot,either elimnating and ugly background or maybe adding something to it.

This one I moved so the two tower dormitories were in the pic....with the two tall girls.
    21603424-M-1.jpg

Besides backgrounds and faces, think of where the action is going, and think of conveying that to the viewer of they photos. Yeah they are snapshots of your kids, but no reason why you can capture their joy and fustration as they participate in sport.

And if you think your photos can look like mine, I bought my first digial SLR in january of 2004. Althought to be fair, softball is my 2nd favorite sport to cover (close 2nd) the colors are great cause you are outside ( a major challenge for hockey) the ball move slower than the baseball but the game moves faster and the strategy is fairly easy to anticipate once you learn a team (players likely to steal and such.......).
    The dicey thing is shooting in line with 3rd base (1st I shoot a bit behind so I can get more field action, where as 3rd the runner will be coming directly at me) but you have to be careful about missed throws.

I almost got beaned with a foul ball at fenway park, so I am a little more leary about baseball/softball. Softball I am definatly much more comfortable, but with your monopod set, shooting through the fence is no problem.
    The baseball backstop is fenced in all the way down and you can get cool photos like this, from the fence:
    22306951-M-2.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 20, 2005
    Very helpful advice
    Thanks................Mereimage