Options

Icelandscapes

dlsdls Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
edited October 23, 2009 in Landscapes
I was fortunate this month to have a several day layover in Iceland when returning home to the Northwest. I rented a car, and traveled along the southern coast, from Reykavik in the west, to Skaftafell/Jokulsarlon in the east. Iceland is definitely a nature lover's dream. The mix of volcanic landscape, verdant green flora/moss, geothermal activity, waterfalls, glaciers, mountain and seascapes... makes it about the most dramatic and beautiful places I have visited. And the tempestuous moody weather reminds me of my beloved Northwest. Fortunately/unfortunately, I have many many photos to review and process... but here are some preliminary ones. Also, I wasn't certain as to post this in the journeys vs landscape forums, but since most of the shots are nature landscapes, and I have not yet compiled the pictures for an adequate summation of the journey, I elected to post here first.

1. Pingvellir National Park. This UNESCO World Heritage Site was the gathering place of the Icelandic Parliament from 930 to 1789, and also a site where the N. American and European tectonic plates meet, creating dramatic fissures in the landscape.
687909214_JJGmN-L.jpg

2. Fissures in the earth's crust at Pingvellir.
687918465_Lzbok-L.jpg

3. Eruption of the geyser Strokkur. First in series.
687925701_fiJZ9-L.jpg

4. Eruption of the geyser Strokkur. Second in series.
687927985_7HE7x-L.jpg

5. Eruption of the geyser Strokkur. Third in series.
687932577_tfqH5-L.jpg

6. Strokkur usually erupts every 5-10 minutes, and the eruption is often preceded by the formation of a blue dome. Sorry... not the sharpest picture, but the dwindling light, my lack of familiarity with the optimal photographic settings, and lack of tripod (broke just prior to arrival in Iceland) hampered me a wee bit. Next time:wxwax
687954993_3MeUd-L.jpg

7. Svartifoss. Waterfalls in a picturesque basalt basin.
688005035_WwS8g-L.jpg

8. Hiking up at Skaftafell National Park
687990738_aApzU-L.jpg

9. Icebergs in the Jokulsarlon Lagoon. Hundred of icebergs are trapped in this lake, which is right by the southern coast. They are released once they melt to a certain size and float into the Atlantic.
[IMG][/IMG]

10. And finally...
[IMG][/IMG]

Comments

• Options
    RuiMLopesRuiMLopes Registered Users Posts: 336 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2009
    Impressive imagery! I love the unique Iceland landscapes! Iceland is a place I´d like to visit soon. Well done!
    Rui
    D300, D200 coupled with some fine Nikon glass

My Smugmug galleries: http://ruilopes.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2009
    Nice series, Dan!

Those last 2 are simply stunning! clap.gif
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • Options
    cmkultradomecmkultradome Registered Users Posts: 516 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2009
    CWSkopec wrote:
    Nice series, Dan!

Those last 2 are simply stunning! clap.gif

15524779-Ti.gif Also really like the setting in #1.

Stephanie
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2009
    Wow, 9 and 10 are so gorgeous clap.gifclap.gif
  • Options
    TharhawkTharhawk Registered Users Posts: 286 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    Wow, 9 and 10 are so gorgeous clap.gifclap.gif

Agree. These are very nice.
    More photos: www.alpinestateofmind.com
    Ski Mountaineering stories: www.cascadecrusades.org
    Jason Hummel photography on:
    FACEBOOK
  • Options
    coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2009
    The last one is just spectacular. The scenery is awesome and you did a great job in capturing it! I'm not lying but I think Iceland is now on my list of places to visit (it's a long damn list unfortunately). That's just so cool...

Also really like #9, #7, and #5 (a very different looking geyser than the ones I saw at Yellowstone a few weeks ago).
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2009
    coscorrosa wrote:
    The last one is just spectacular. The scenery is awesome and you did a great job in capturing it! I'm not lying but I think Iceland is now on my list of places to visit (it's a long damn list unfortunately). That's just so cool...

Also really like #9, #7, and #5 (a very different looking geyser than the ones I saw at Yellowstone a few weeks ago).

At least you can't drive there rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2009
    Beautiful series. Love the detail in the geyser images. But my favorites are the icebergs, particularly the last. Beautiful tone and contrast.
  • Options
    SteveFSteveF Registered Users Posts: 466 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2009
    All great but really like 9 and 10. Good stuff.
    clap.gif
  • Options
    acowanacowan Registered Users Posts: 156 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2009
    Very nice series, but the last shot is great! Superb soft light!
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2009
    thanks, for all the comments! yeah... the scenery was stunning there, so it was not difficult to get decent shots. part of the difficulty was not being too greedy or distracted by my jaw dropping and scraping on the mossy lava-rock ground. i just wished i could do it more justice.
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2009
    coscorrosa wrote:

thanks ron. yeah, for the nature-obsessed and landscape photogs, iceland is pretty cool. reminds me of a mix between hawaii (just colder, with moss instead of ferns and palms, and with drearier weather) and tierra del fuego (just more north and $$$). i have heard that the northern iceland is the place to go for the best geothermal activity, but time prevented from doing so. however, at 115 mph, you may be able to cover the island in several daze! :D
  • Options
    craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2009
    Fantastic stuff. Makes me want to visit Iceland. #s 2, 3, 7, 9, and 10 are my favorites, but they're all great.
    http://craigd.smugmug.com

Got bored with digital and went back to film.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited October 23, 2009
    It's all interesting but the iceberg shots are simply stunning. clap.gifclapclap.gif
  • Options
    Chris HChris H Registered Users Posts: 280 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2009
    Number 9

Number 10 :jawdrop

Brilliant, just brilliant.