Options

The Thinker ?

Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
edited June 22, 2005 in People
Hello All,
I was on the wharf in Santa Cruz, looking for something decent to shoot in 6 PM type lighting. I had already shot the wildlife - gulls, seals, pelicans and Andy :lol3

I have bern shooting too many birds and it's getting stale. I need to concentrate on some other subjects for awhile. So I've been really trying to do more landscape and people shots :rolleyes

Anyhow, while strolling around, I noticed this fellow sitting on a bench. Unfortunately, he wasn't one of the homeless (they really make interesting subjects), but as I looked at him, he sat as if in a trance. Maybe he was looking out towards the Lighthouse and the surfers at Steamer Lane. Or, maybe he was in a coma....lol Or, maybe I just caught him with a dumb look on his face? :dunno Whatever, I just had to try to capture that look.

If possible, I'd appreciate any suggestions you'd like to give me. This isn't the caliber of shot I'd post for a critique in the Critique Forum, but I'd love any feedback, what-so-ever.

Color crop
25603055-L.jpg

The shot had some nice contrast so I decided to try a B&W treatment :dunno

25603057-L.jpg

Finally, here's the non-cropped color version (well, almost no cropping). Do the restaurant in the upper left and the long shadows add any interest to the shot?

25628620-L.jpg

Thanks for taking the time :-)

Steve
SmugMug Support Hero

Comments

• Options
    behr655behr655 Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2005
    Maybe you should change the title to "The Lombotomy". :D

Did he realize that you photographed him?

Bear
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2005
    Hi Steve
    Nice to see you stretch, totally agree been trying myself
    My choice here is the B&W because in color that darn dolly keeps taking me away from the subject.

But ya know me and ya know I don't know Jack :D
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,209 moderator
    edited June 20, 2005
    I think ya need to clone in a hypnotist about 10 feet in front of the guy. rolleyes1.gif
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2005
    I like the B&W one better. As already mentioned the purple dolly/hand truck and yellow wall are too bold and become the subject instead of "the thinker".

Hey here's a thought . . . this shot could be your challenge 41, "movie title" entry . . .

Sling Blade

Uh Huh

25637228-L.jpg

:D
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,006 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2005
    the thinker ?????????? did you put a mirror by his nose ?? the thinker I do not think so -- not for a long time rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif sorry Steve I treid to be serious and it did not work :cry it is a good pic and made me look and think ---oh now i get it the thinker just not him thumb.gif
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,006 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2005
    jwear wrote:
    the thinker ?????????? did you put a mirror by his lips ?? the thinker I do not think so -- not for a long time rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif sorry Steve I treid to be serious and it did not work :cry it is a good pic and made me look and think ---oh now i get it the thinker just not him thumb.gif
    i just saw IT, is that dolly his RIDE ne_nau.gif
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    bochiebochie Registered Users Posts: 128 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2005
    I like the first one. thumb.gif
    The dolly seems to mimic the guy but backwards.
    I would like to be able to see his eyes though, maybe it will show even more emptiness.
    "Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
    It will never fail you." - Frank Lloyd Wright

http://www.pbase.com/bochie
  • Options
    adrian_kadrian_k Registered Users Posts: 557 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2005
    "slow motion"
    bochie wrote:
    I would like to be able to see his eyes though, maybe it will show even more emptiness.
    15524779-Ti.gif
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Adrian
    my stuff is here.....
  • Options
    Yuri PautovYuri Pautov Registered Users Posts: 1,918 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2005
    Priviet, Steve!
    I prefer b&w.
    Great photo!
    Yuri
  • Options
    SeamusSeamus Registered Users Posts: 1,573 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2005
    That is a "thousand yard stare", great shot Steve, very pensive.

Shay.
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited June 21, 2005
    Steve I like #3 best. I like the color over b/w and the sense of lone solitude this wide shot offers. (yes Andy, I'm advocating W I D E) :D

I thought you've become famous for your *squat*??? I might have gotten a bit lower and shot more at his eye level. (IMHO)

nice capture though thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2005
    behr655 wrote:

Bear
    Laughing.gif Bear,
    I don't think he "realized" much of anything. He did move about 20 seconds after I snapped the pic, so he was alive, but he definitely was "somewhere else" rolleyes1.gif

Thanks for commenting,
    Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2005
    bfjr wrote:
    Hi Steve
    Nice to see you stretch, totally agree been trying myself
    My choice here is the B&W because in color that darn dolly keeps taking me away from the subject.

But ya know me and ya know I don't know Jack :D
    Hiya Ben wave.gif

Yep, I wasn't crazy about the dolly either, but as you can see in the un-cropped version, I didn't have much of a choice ne_nau.gif I'm not real good with composition and this was a spur of the moment shot. Reflecting on this shot, I probably should have tried to get him from the other side. Only after I had taken the shot, did I realize he'd be frozen like that for so long....Laughing.gif

Thanks for your comments thumb.gif

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2005
    David_S85 wrote:
    I think ya need to clone in a hypnotist about 10 feet in front of the guy. rolleyes1.gif
    Laughing.gif David,
    I was waiting for the cup to fall out of his hand lol3.gif Or, for a drop of drool to fall from his lower lip :uhoh You've got to realize we're talkin Santa Cruz here. A place where this man is semi-normal looking....lol This is also the place where you see bumperstickers that say "Keep Santa Cruz Weird" rolleyes1.gif No worries on that account :lol

Thanks for taking the time to comment,
    Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2005
    I like the B&W one better. As already mentioned the purple dolly/hand truck and yellow wall are too bold and become the subject instead of "the thinker".

Hey here's a thought . . . this shot could be your challenge 41, "movie title" entry . . .

Sling Blade

Uh Huh

25637228-L.jpg

:D
    Laughing.gif WNL,

I was thinking about that character from Slingblade while shooting this. I had it all worked out that if he got up and got violent, I was gonna hit him with Andy's camera :lol

Thanks for looking and for your comments,
    Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2005
    jwear wrote:
    the thinker ?????????? did you put a mirror by his nose ?? the thinker I do not think so -- not for a long time rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif sorry Steve I treid to be serious and it did not work :cry it is a good pic and made me look and think ---oh now i get it the thinker just not him thumb.gif
    Thanks Jeff :D

I know what you mean. It's tough for me to be serious too. Especially with a shot like this one.....lol The same humor everyone else sees is what motivated me to take this shot. I knew it wasn't going to be a masterpiece, but I figured it would be entertaining. Also, the light was decent and there really wasn't anything else to shoot....lol

Yeah, "The Thinker" title was a feeble attempt at wit....lol He was drinking the Un-cola and he is more like the Un-thinker :lol

Thanks for your comments,
    Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    pete wpete w Registered Users Posts: 386 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2005
    Are U sure thats 7 Up???
    :D He looks a little dazed and confused.

That aside i like the cropped color version.
    Pete W
    Photographers deal in things which are continually vanishing and when they have vanished there is no contrivance on earth which can make them come back again.
    Henri Cartier Bresson

www.pete-wraight.smugmug.com
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2005
    I'm with yuri b&w for me but I would like to see it uncropped. I know the crop focuses more on the guy (Looks to me like he is stoned, or up on some other mind altering chemical :jose:jose) but I think the uncropped with no one else in the photos almost brings out the feeling of complete emptiness (when I see the photo all I can think of is emptiness in his brain) that it conveys to me. ne_nau.gif just my 2cents.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,917 moderator
    edited June 22, 2005
    Steve, that guy sits a couple cubes over from me. Let me show him and
    see what he thinks...only kidding rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

I like the expression but I'm not sure what he's contemplating. Maybe shot a
    little behind and looking forward would help give the feeling he was experiencing?

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2005
    bochie wrote:
    Thanks for the feedback Bochie :D

Yeah, I wanted to get more eyes, but I was afraid that if I moved closer towards the front of him he'd snap out of his reverie rolleyes1.gif If I had known he was going to be in this stupor for another 30 seconds, I would have tried it. Oh well....lol ne_nau.gif

Thanks again for looking,
    Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2005
    adrian_k wrote:
    15524779-Ti.gif
    Thanks for responding Adrian :D

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2005
    Priviet, Steve!
    I prefer b&w.
    Great photo!
    Yuri
    Spasibo Yuri :D

I couldn't get those great eyes like you always manage to capture. But then again, my subject was not a beautiful woman or child. More like the opposite....lol I don't think I lost anything by doing a B&W conversion.

Thanks for your feedback,
    Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2005
    Seamus wrote:
    That is a "thousand yard stare", great shot Steve, very pensive.

Shay.
    Thanks Shay :D

Yep, as I was shooting this I was wondering what he was thinking about. What ever it was, he was thinking on it deeply eek7.gif "Thousand yard stare", that's a good one. I'll have to remember that...lol

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2005
    Angelo wrote:
    Steve I like #3 best. I like the color over b/w and the sense of lone solitude this wide shot offers. (yes Andy, I'm advocating W I D E) :D

I thought you've become famous for your *squat*??? I might have gotten a bit lower and shot more at his eye level. (IMHO)

nice capture though thumb.gif
    Thanks Angelo :D

Nah, I don't squat while shooting, that's Waxy (the infamous Sid Squat :lol)

But you are right, lowering the perspective would have been a good idea thumb.gif I liked the wide view too(even though it's only a 44mm FOV rolleyes1.gif) I also liked it because there wasn't any traffic (vehicular or pedestrian) in the back ground.

Thanks for the feedback and for taking the time to respond,
    Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2005
    pete w wrote:
    :D He looks a little dazed and confused.

That aside i like the cropped color version.
    Thanks for the comments Pete :D

Yeah, I wonder if that was a 7&7, or some of that "laced" punch we had in the 70's in that cup rolleyes1.gif

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2005
    I'm with yuri b&w for me but I would like to see it uncropped. I know the crop focuses more on the guy (Looks to me like he is stoned, or up on some other mind altering chemical :jose:jose) but I think the uncropped with no one else in the photos almost brings out the feeling of complete emptiness (when I see the photo all I can think of is emptiness in his brain) that it conveys to me. ne_nau.gif just my 2cents.
    Thanks Gary :D

Your comments agree with what was in my mind. Emptiness and lonliness. No other movement or interesting subjects within the frame. I'll have to try a B&W conversion on the uncropped shot thumb.gif

Thanks for looking and for the feedback,
    Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2005
    ian408 wrote:
    Steve, that guy sits a couple cubes over from me. Let me show him and
    see what he thinks...only kidding rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

I like the expression but I'm not sure what he's contemplating. Maybe shot a
    little behind and looking forward would help give the feeling he was experiencing?

Ian

Laughing.gif Ian,
    He did sort of look like an IT guy (a burnt out one lol3.gif) You know where I was for this shot. Right at the end of the wharf. I had room to move in front of him, but couldn't get his face and what he was contemplating in the same frame ne_nau.gif A shot from the other side (once I would have walked around the building) might have been better. At least there would have been a background of water headscratch.gif

Thanks for looking and commenting,
    Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited June 22, 2005
    Thanks Angelo :D

Nah, I don't squat while shooting, that's Waxy (the infamous Sid Squat :lol)

But you are right, lowering the perspective would have been a good idea thumb.gif I liked the wide view too(even though it's only a 44mm FOV rolleyes1.gif) I also liked it because there wasn't any traffic (vehicular or pedestrian) in the back ground.

Thanks for the feedback and for taking the time to respond,
    Steve
    ahhhh that's right.... the Sid Squat. well, I'm taking Yoga now so I can achieve that competitive stance rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2005
    behr655 wrote:

Bear
    I agree. Maybe "Comatose" or "Drug Induced Stupor" :). It's kinda hard to take that expression seriously.
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com