Options

What advertising works?

JohnBiggsJohnBiggs Registered Users Posts: 841 Major grins
edited October 23, 2009 in Mind Your Own Business
Ok. Besides word of mouth...

Which advertising have you tried that has worked?

Which have you tried that didn't work?

My answers:
Working:
Google ads have been getting me hits and jobs but I find it's almost a break even thing.
I've bought some leads from popular wedding planning sites and they seem to hit sometimes.

Not Working:
I advertised in a large church directory for wedding photography and I have not had a call yet.
Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
~ Gear Pictures

Comments

• Options
    promoguypromoguy Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited September 15, 2009
    Join your local chamber of commerce and attend events they have and become an engaged member. Also, you might want to join a local Rotary/Kiwanis. Become involved.

People will work with those they know and are involved.

/not a photographer, but it works in my business.
  • Options
    fredjclausfredjclaus Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited September 16, 2009
    Even if you don't live in a small town, I like the website Smalltownmarketing.com The man who runs that site was giving away both of his books. The chamber and local civic groups were two of his things for advertising. Chamber however he says don't join expecting to get contacts. You need to use the Chamber as a Networking group. If you network with these people and befriend them, they will gladly hand out your name when someone needs your services. If you press them for work every time you see them and use them just for refferals, they will know and you will get nothing.

Word of mouth is the only thing I have that works. A great way to use word of mouth is to do it for free. I was at my local chocolate shop around Easter and my kids were waiting in line to see the Easter Bunny. There was a man up there with his three kids and the boy that was taking the picture kept missing the good shots. I just walked up to the front of the line and snapped a shot off. I showed the father what I did, and told him to send me his email address and I'd email it to him when I got home. Which I promptly did.

Turns out this man was a pastor of a new local church in town. He called me up after he got the file and asked me to print a 5x7 and get it to him, and he paid for the print. This I thought was very respectfull as he had the file, it didn't look all that professional so he could have sent it anyplace for 1/3 of the cost I charged him for the print. In addition I got a couple wedding assignments referred by him as well.
    Fred J Claus
    Commercial Photographer
    http://www.FredJClaus.com
    http://www.Fredjclaus.com/originals

Save on your own SmugMug account. Just enter Coupon code i2J0HIOcEElwI at checkout
  • Options
    ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited September 16, 2009
    JohnBiggs wrote:

My answers:
    Working:
    Google ads have been getting me hits and jobs but I find it's almost a break even thing.
    I've bought some leads from popular wedding planning sites and they seem to hit sometimes.

Not Working:
    I advertised in a large church directory for wedding photography and I have not had a call yet.
    Put your name on every possible wedding site you can think of, for FREE if they give you that option. I do not pay for them to display my name, just because you're on the top of the list means nothing!

Pay per lead sites, hit and miss, no one ever return calls or emails, dropped those, leave the listing free and clear.

Use sites that will take reviews from your prior clients (brides), the more reviews, the higher ranking, the better chance.

Google Adwords, nothing but hits, it works to get your name out there, doesn't mean business. If you really want your name out there, it will cost a looooot of money.

What works is word of mouth, networking with vendors in your area and beyond, having a blog on your site, Facebook full of vendors and friends, and your own work. thumb.gif
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • Options
    bendruckerphotobendruckerphoto Registered Users Posts: 579 Major grins
    edited September 17, 2009
    Google works OK for me, but I don't make a huge profit with it. I don't do any paid online ads. I occasionally do print ads, but otherwise I try to network.
  • Options
    pwppwp Registered Users Posts: 230 Major grins
    edited September 17, 2009
    Networking with vendors is my #1, with word of mouth being a close second. Everytime you work with a reception hall, florist, DJ, caterer, etc., give them a card. At my last wedding, the banquet manager of one of the most prominent venues in VA approached me and asked me to leave every card I had with me on her desk so that she could give them to her clients. I had about 25-30 cards, and now I carry double that so I have everyone covered.

Mostly, your technique and presence at an event will speak volumes to the other guests and get their attention. Aforementioned banquet manager told me I was the least intrusive photog she had ever worked with, but was still impressed that I got "the" shots. That is a HUGE compliment in my book, and if she noticed, you bet your behind the guests noticed.

Other things you might try....joining a local photographers club and participating. Sure, you are competitors, but in the event that one of them is approached to do an event and they can't cover, they are more likely to recommend someone they "know" and have met with. This has also happened to me on occasion.
    ~Ang~
    My Site
    Proud Photog for The Littlest Heroes Project and Operation: LoveReunited
    Lovin' my Canon 5D Mark II!
  • Options
    Erica628Erica628 Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited September 22, 2009
    I'm still really new at this myself, but I'm trying facebook ads. It lets you target specific demographics (18-35 engaged females that live within a 50 mile radius of you!). I looked into Google ads as well, but thought the facebook ad would get me a lot more bang for my buck. It was really simple to set up. You can pay per click, or 1,000 impressions (my choice) and set your budget as low as $1 a day.
  • Options
    Erica628 wrote:
    I'm still really new at this myself, but I'm trying facebook ads. It lets you target specific demographics (18-35 engaged females that live within a 50 mile radius of you!). I looked into Google ads as well, but thought the facebook ad would get me a lot more bang for my buck. It was really simple to set up. You can pay per click, or 1,000 impressions (my choice) and set your budget as low as $1 a day.

Ive seen many say facebook doesn't work
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • Options
    bendruckerphotobendruckerphoto Registered Users Posts: 579 Major grins
    I can't imagine Facebook ads working. But other marketing does. For example, after an event or portrait shoot, don't give the client the images to post on Facebook. Post them on a fan page for your business, then have the client tags him/herself and all guests in the images. It'll get you tons of exposure and some business for no money.
  • Options
    pwppwp Registered Users Posts: 230 Major grins
    edited September 23, 2009
    I can't imagine Facebook ads working. But other marketing does. For example, after an event or portrait shoot, don't give the client the images to post on Facebook. Post them on a fan page for your business, then have the client tags him/herself and all guests in the images. It'll get you tons of exposure and some business for no money.

That's a great idea for putting Facebook to work for you!
    ~Ang~
    My Site
    Proud Photog for The Littlest Heroes Project and Operation: LoveReunited
    Lovin' my Canon 5D Mark II!
  • Options
    JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited September 23, 2009
    Local search engine optimization has generated business for me. Mainly from Google and Yahoo. I do find Internet leads seem to be looking for the lowest priced photographer. Referrals/word of mouth seem the best.
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • Options
    msfmsf Registered Users Posts: 229 Major grins
    edited September 26, 2009
    pwp wrote:
    That's a great idea for putting Facebook to work for you!

Something I have been meaning to make for a while, are shirts with my logo and contact information on them. This way when im out in public, I will get some name recognition. :D Hopefully good recognition.

For regular work, I was thinking of a nice shirt with a chest logo. But as some people have pointed out, not everyone looks at the logo, so Im wondering how many people do.

For regular shirts, I was thinking of printing a large 8x10 logo for the back of a t-shirt, and possibly a chest logo for the front. Or possibly an 8x10 logo on both sides.

Has anyone tried this method of advertising? Has it lead to getting any new jobs?

I was also hoping for some advice. for the back of the t-shirt, I want to put what sort of photography I do, since theres all types and some people assume you may do one and not the others. I was thinking of listing off the different types of photography, but I dont think that looks good.

ie:

wedding photography * family portraits
    pet portraits * car photography * event photography

Another idea was putting:

If you need it photographed, Im the person!

What would you all put? Or would you just leave it with your business logo?
  • Options
    promoguypromoguy Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    Okay as a guy who is in the business but not soliciting. Go to your local embroiderer and get a couple of nice dress shirts and have your logo embroidered on the usual left chest. Maybe even do some nice polos shirts at the same time. Just don't go cheap.

Wear these to every event you attend where you think folks will be attending. Don't worry, people will look. I wouldn't do the tees if you're trying to make a statement. It's about keeping you name in people's face.

edited: Don't put all of your contact information on the shirt.
  • Options
    tijosephtijoseph Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
    promoguy wrote:
    Okay as a guy who is in the business but not soliciting. Go to your local embroiderer and get a couple of nice dress shirts and have your logo embroidered on the usual left chest. Maybe even do some nice polos shirts at the same time. Just don't go cheap.

Wear these to every event you attend where you think folks will be attending. Don't worry, people will look. I wouldn't do the tees if you're trying to make a statement. It's about keeping you name in people's face.

edited: Don't put all of your contact information on the shirt.

How about going a step further and put your website on the back of the shirt. Like a foot long. Would that be going too far? What about see your pictures at and then your website. You'd be a walking billboard at any event your photographing.
  • Options
    SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited September 27, 2009
    tijoseph wrote:
    How about going a step further and put your website on the back of the shirt. Like a foot long. Would that be going too far? What about see your pictures at and then your website. You'd be a walking billboard at any event your photographing.

True - but tacky.

A classy shirt or two and then perhaps some tent signage strategically placed would work well. Depends on the event, of course.

At higher class events like banquets, for example, I'd discretely put business cards on the tables but my attire would be very plain and allow me to fade into the background as much as possible. At a sporting event (I'm doing a Beef Expo later today) I'd hang a ginormous banner in the show ring, hand out flyers to all participants with my contact and website info. on it, and do whatever else I had to do to sell photos and book other clients. Speaking of which - gotta get ready :ivar
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • Options
    Erica628Erica628 Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited September 29, 2009
    I just got a call today from someone asking me to donate a portrait session for a silent auction. He said I can set up a nice display and include pretty much whatever I want in the package. This will be a nice way to get my name out there.

Another thing I've been considering is printing Christmas Cards for some of my family portrait customers with a small logo in the corner. I thought this would be a nice way to make sure they tell their friends about me.

I've thought about offering them for a fee, or maybe just printing a small quantity and giving them (with a thank you note for their business and a price list if they want more). Maybe offer some kind of Christmas Card portrait package to new customers.
  • Options
    edited October 1, 2009
    Erica628 wrote:
    I just got a call today from someone asking me to donate a portrait session for a silent auction. He said I can set up a nice display and include pretty much whatever I want in the package. This will be a nice way to get my name out there.

Another thing I've been considering is printing Christmas Cards for some of my family portrait customers with a small logo in the corner. I thought this would be a nice way to make sure they tell their friends about me.

I've thought about offering them for a fee, or maybe just printing a small quantity and giving them (with a thank you note for their business and a price list if they want more). Maybe offer some kind of Christmas Card portrait package to new customers.

I was going through WHCC's site and found some testimonies from some of their bigger clients. The interesting parts were their marketing stories.

One thing they pointed out, was every Christmas card they sell to their client, is better than free advertising to that clients family and friends. Each card has their studio name on the back. If you have 10 clients that buy at least 50 cards, theres 500 pieces of marketing thats being mailed out on the customers dime. I thought that was a great insight.

The problem around here is people are happy with the Walmart printed cards, they dont really know about the press printed cards.

Ive been trying to think up a good Christmas package/promotion, and I was thinking of selling Christmas cards at cost, or at least for the first 100 cards or something. I really would like for every customer to purchase cards and advertise me.

I was also thinking of making up some Christmas cards for clients. This is a bit expensive but each recipticant would then see what a quality press printed card is like. And show my previous clients that I care about them. :D I hate having my picture taken though, which is why I like being behind the camera. :) Perhaps send these after Thanksgiving so people will get them early enough to consider getting some for themselves. Perhaps have the back bottom be a coupon. Is that to early? :)

I was also thinking of offering a free gift certificate or two with each package sold, redeemable after Christmas *when things slow down* to cover the sitting fee and a tiny amount towards prints or service, that they can gift to friends and family. Perhaps print up a postcard thats very Christmassy. Not sure hwo to word it so they wont keep it for themselves.
  • Options
    fredjclausfredjclaus Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2009
    Here's a question that was put into my head at a church meeting today. I have some floral images that I offer for sale and someone asked me about making a desktop wallpaper image for them. Research on the net shows that people can get just about any type of image for free wallpaper. Can this be a good advertising tool?

If I watermark my website information on the image, can offering my nature images as free desktop wallpaper is that a marketing ploy that has worked for anyone, or do you offer these images for sale?
    Fred J Claus
    Commercial Photographer
    http://www.FredJClaus.com
    http://www.Fredjclaus.com/originals

Save on your own SmugMug account. Just enter Coupon code i2J0HIOcEElwI at checkout
  • Options
    waywardfoolwaywardfool Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited October 22, 2009
    For a job, I am self-employed, but not in photography. I do tech service for business and individuals.

The best money I've ever spent in advertising was on notepads. I ordered about 5k pads, 20 pages per pad, each sheet is 1/4 page, cardboard backing, glue-up on top edge. Top of page is company name and contact information, bottom 3/4 inch or so lists what I do (servioce calls, structured cabling, fiber optics, etc). I gave these out -- about 4000 pads -- in 1999-2002.

I still go places today, and see them. I have gotten a LOT of business from them -- the absolute best advertising money I have ever spent. The best part is...notes written on them get passed around from one person to another, taking my information along for the ride. Our local big-box hardware store, for a couple of years, had a note written by the store manager taped to the side of each cash register...something reminding the cashier to do something when replacing the tape roll in the receipt printer....but it got my business name and website out for every customer that came thru the store to see.

This would work well for photography businesses, I would think. I got quotes on the pads -- and suggest you do the same....most quotes for what I wanted ran anywhere from about $550 to $1600. Shop around. I got two-color print on quality paper.

edit: I'll tell you another very effective way to get your name out there. My dad first ran for city council back around 1997 or so. He had a bunch of -- get ready for this -- cardboard fingernail files printed up with his name. The women loved them. 12 years later...I still see people with them (like on my client's desks, etc). Even have people occasionally ask if I got any more laying around. All women use them, and keep them around, and cheap enough to give out by the handfulls, or pass out liberally at bridal shows, etc.
  • Options
    edited October 22, 2009
    For a job, I am self-employed, but not in photography. I do tech service for business and individuals.

The best money I've ever spent in advertising was on notepads. I ordered about 5k pads, 20 pages per pad, each sheet is 1/4 page, cardboard backing, glue-up on top edge. Top of page is company name and contact information, bottom 3/4 inch or so lists what I do (servioce calls, structured cabling, fiber optics, etc). I gave these out -- about 4000 pads -- in 1999-2002.

I still go places today, and see them. I have gotten a LOT of business from them -- the absolute best advertising money I have ever spent. The best part is...notes written on them get passed around from one person to another, taking my information along for the ride. Our local big-box hardware store, for a couple of years, had a note written by the store manager taped to the side of each cash register...something reminding the cashier to do something when replacing the tape roll in the receipt printer....but it got my business name and website out for every customer that came thru the store to see.

This would work well for photography businesses, I would think. I got quotes on the pads -- and suggest you do the same....most quotes for what I wanted ran anywhere from about $550 to $1600. Shop around. I got two-color print on quality paper.

edit: I'll tell you another very effective way to get your name out there. My dad first ran for city council back around 1997 or so. He had a bunch of -- get ready for this -- cardboard fingernail files printed up with his name. The women loved them. 12 years later...I still see people with them (like on my client's desks, etc). Even have people occasionally ask if I got any more laying around. All women use them, and keep them around, and cheap enough to give out by the handfulls, or pass out liberally at bridal shows, etc.

Thats interesting about the notepads, but im not sure what you mean by fingernail files.

Im planning on opening a studio in a couple of weeks, and I was trying to think of ways to get the local people's attention and to let them know that im there, and then I thought about Little Ceasars, how they have someone by the roadside with a large sign. Im not seriously considering this, but its smething to do during the hours theres no appointments. :D
  • Options
    edited October 22, 2009
    msf wrote:
    Thats interesting about the notepads, but im not sure what you mean by fingernail files.

Emery boards then....what wimmen use to file down their nails.

Here's a link, no recommendation for them, and I don't know how their pricing compares, but it was the first company that Google search found for me.

http://www.victorystore.com/health_products/emery_boards/regular.htm
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2009
    Emery boards then....what wimmen use to file down their nails.

Here's a link, no recommendation for them, and I don't know how their pricing compares, but it was the first company that Google search found for me.

http://www.victorystore.com/health_products/emery_boards/regular.htm

Interesting, seems to be a bit of an investment at about $650 for the 3000, but thats 3000 pieces of marketing floating around for a while. And I know a few hairdressers so I could probably shovel them out quickly. :)

Got any links for the pad one? :D
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2009
    msf wrote:
    Got any links for the pad one? :D

Nope. the company I used was in st. pauls MN, found on internet, but they went out of business a few years ago. It was an old print shop, with a web storefront...I think the old man retired.

When I got prices, Kinkos and that kind of places were highest, although they advertise that they do them. Locally owned print shops were next cheapest, then some places I found online. The shop I found sent me a couple of pads from other runs as samples. He wasn't the lowest bidder, but the one I had the most confidence in getting the job done the way I wanted.
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2009
    msf wrote:
    an investment at about $650 for the 3000, but thats 3000 pieces of marketing floating around for a while

That's exactly why I like both the pads and nail files. A newspaper....it's usually in the trash the next day, and they may or may not have read your ad. "Keepers", like pads and other hand-outs, stay around longer. That's worth a little more money up front.

About that same time, I was expanding my business, and also was running ads in two local papers, averaging a couple hundred bucks a week. When I got a new client, I ALWAYS asked how he heard about me. Two answers I never heard were "newspaper ad" and "yellow pages".
  • Options
    Dancer72Dancer72 Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited October 23, 2009
    JohnBiggs wrote:

My answers:
    Working:

Not Working:

As many others have mentioned, most of our business comes from word of mouth. We also have a biz site on FB which we post regular announcements, news, upcoming events, samples from recent shoots, etc, and we've actually gotten fans 2x & 3x removed from ones that we know.

In addtion, we have golf shirts with the company logo on the left front but we have also included the website address on the right cuff and the biz name on the left, which we wear to every gig (embroidery is very subtle). As a take-off to the formal shirts, we also have t-shirts and baseball caps that we wear from time to time around town, etc (you'd be surprised at how many comments we get, especially when the cap is on one of our kids :D ).

You might also try setting up displays in your local bank, florist, bridal shop, etc if they are willing. We did a wedding about 18 months ago and when the florist saw the pictures we did of her flowers, she wanted to order prints for the "bridal suite" of her shop. We actually gave her the prints in return for advertising in her shop.

Just my 2 cents - hope you find something that helps...Good Luck! thumb.gif
    Caroline Brogen

Member: PPA, PPAM
    Gallery: http://photos.brogen.com/Public-Gallery/Carolines-Gallery
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2009
    This is all great. Keep em coming. I especially like the emmory boards and pads.

I recently started picking my favorite pictures of various clients... say the last 5, and I send them to MOO to print the very nice cards. On the back they have all my information, but not like a business card... more of an ad.

Each client gets 10 cards with beautiful pictures of them on the front. The idea is they will give the cards to friends and family. Since they didn't pay for the cards I feel they will appreciate the nice little bonus and won't mind the info on the back.
    ~ Gear Pictures