Options

Need flash help for football game tonight

MK ProductionsMK Productions Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
edited October 23, 2009 in Sports
I could really use some advice. I shoot hs night football games (and they do allow flash). My son is a SR. and 2 weeks ago it was raining - last week my flash got broke by a player so ths week I would really like some good pictures that I don't have to spend 5 hours touching up. I am still learning and can't find the information in my searches.

My set up:
Canon rxti
Canon E 70-200mm f/2.8L IS US
Canon Speedlite 580EX II
Jacob's Black Box (quatum battery pack for flash)

I have the flash below the lens on a monopod

By the time the sun is down - mysettings are at:
iso 1600 at 2.8 and 250 (though for some reason - the camera will change this.) with aiservo

After 2 years of experimenting and a professional with about the same set up (camera body better than mine) mentoring me, these settings work the best for the field conditions here.

MY QUESTION - I can not understand the flash - the pro will adjust it for me but I don't understand what he is doing. Can someone please tell me what settings the flash to be at and explain why? -or point me to a link (I have read several here but can't find the answer to my question.)

Thanks so much!
Mom photographer looking to get better
MK

Comments

• Options
    johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2009
    Set the flash in ETTL II mode. Some pros prefer to shoot manual flash settings but especially with your limited range of 70-200, ETTL II works just fine. The flash also has + & - adjustments for Flash Exposure Compensation (FEC). Depending on conditions somewhere in the -2/3 to +2/3 range works. Test shots will let you know - and just keep an eye on the photos as the game progresses.

NOTE: at the start of the game while there's still some ambient light you may get a bit more blur because it's bright enough for the image to record at 1/250 and ISO 1600 - drop the ISO down and the blur will go away.

Just remember the 580exII is a battery hog. Make sure all batteries are fully charged and bring some spares
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2009
    johng wrote:
    Set the flash in ETTL II mode. Some pros prefer to shoot manual flash settings but especially with your limited range of 70-200, ETTL II works just fine. The flash also has + & - adjustments for Flash Exposure Compensation (FEC). Depending on conditions somewhere in the -2/3 to +2/3 range works. Test shots will let you know - and just keep an eye on the photos as the game progresses.

NOTE: at the start of the game while there's still some ambient light you may get a bit more blur because it's bright enough for the image to record at 1/250 and ISO 1600 - drop the ISO down and the blur will go away.

Just remember the 580exII is a battery hog. Make sure all batteries are fully charged and bring some spares

Thanks for the quick response. What is the difference between ETTL II and M. The Pro that helps me goes back and forth between the 2. That is why I can't get straight what he is doing.

also what is -2/3 to +2/3 range?

And yes - the start of the game I am at 400 and work up as the sun goes down.
  • Options
    johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2009
    ETTL II mode the flash/camera figures out how much flash power to output. In manual mode, YOU must select the amount of flash power to output. The amount of flash power is going to change as light levels drop - it will also change at different points on the field since most fields are not evenly lit. I'm going to suggest it is more trouble for you than it is worth.

the +2/3 to -2/3 are 'stops' of flash exposure compensation. Look in the flash manual or google to learn more about FEC. But in essence it's very much like exposure compensation is for a camera's metering. The concept is - rather than telling the flash you want a specific flash output you're telling the flash - go ahead and meter the output, but always increase or decrease it by this amount.
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2009
    Thanks! I think I finally got it wings.gif At least the difference between the 2 - in simple terms - it's the difference from camera deciding and you deciding. I started shooting with camera presets until I understand TV, AV and M. That is what I need to do with the flash - stay at ETTL II mode until I understand M.

Now to go google what FEC is. Thanks so much!