Options

Softball pics

therootheroo Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
edited June 20, 2005 in Sports
Here are some pics I've taken in the last couple of months. I freelance for a small local newspaper. Which means I've got a good camera. Please critque these so I can get better. Thanks :thumb
20886800-M.jpg

20882565-M.jpg

20882474-M.jpg

20886806-M.jpg

22481738-M.jpg

20882648-M.jpg

20886739-M.jpg
Theroo

Comments

• Options
    wingerwinger Registered Users Posts: 694 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2005
    20886800-M.jpg
    Nice clean background, nice colors, peak of the action and the photo is in focus and is tack sharp BUT no faces. I like the perspetive of which you took it from, try the same spot but the other side, then you will get her face instead of her ass.

20882565-M.jpg
    Nice action of the plate, the crowd is a little distracting but sometimes there is nothing you can do. a crop here would make the picture look better, sometimes I like to shoot plays at the plate from a position of the runner heading at you, but if that is on the side of the bench that is running in you may get people in your way, and you may get the pitcher in your way backing up the play.
    20882474-M.jpg
    Know your audience, if it was for a media guide, or maybe a feature, or a photo for a parent, its a nice isolated shot (would be better with the ball in her hand rather than an inaction shot because the ball was put in play) but the photo in terms of sports action does nothing for me. Knowing your audience helps you to shoot better photos, if you are shooting for a paper, you are going to want nice shots of the in field plays and you can take safe shots of the pitchers in action as well as the hitters. If the catcher is someone who is featured alot getting stock photos of her is a good idea, but get one of her actually fielding the ball, or maybe with the dust cloud right after the pitcher sends a smoker to the plate, or a photo of here gunning someone down.
    like this (some of these are dark and not the best example of a good photo but the I am using them to illustate action of a catcher):
    19141178-M-1.jpg
    8755210-M-3.jpg
    20664376-M-1.jpg

22481738-M.jpg
    Is she going to get a popup? it would be great if you could get her catching it, the background is distracting, if you cant move to get rid of it, try a smaller DOF to throw the background out then.
    20882648-M.jpg
    This could be a great photo if you could get them maybe looking at each other, discussing the next play, doesnt look like she is about to do some running, so with no faces, im wondering why the sideview of these two people are important.

Your colors are great, the photos are properly exposed, but think of getting faces, think of getting clean backgrounds, and think of WHO your audience is and what kind of photos they want. And all I can say is FACES FACES FACES. You want some ideas, look at what kind of baseball/ softball photos other papers are running, is that what your editor is looking for? Are there players they are looking to feature in the paper as well.
    Bench shots can be great, but again faces, and why am I looking at this photos, WHY is this photo something I should look at and does it tell part of the story.
    19130831-M-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 20, 2005
    Ty
    [
    thanks for your advice.
    Theroo
  • Options
    wingerwinger Registered Users Posts: 694 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2005
    theroo wrote:
    [
    thanks for your advice.
    Hey no problem, I spend alot of time trying to teach myself this stuff, so if I can make the learning process a little quicker for someone else then I am more than happy too.

And I am even more critical of my own work. I always wondered if people get offended but try to say it matter of factly and I wish people had commented and were honest when I first started taking photos. I mean nice photos althought feels good doesn tell me much. You could at least tell me what I did right so I keep doing it, you know?
  • Options
    ChaseChase Registered Users Posts: 284 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2005
    On number 4 you could have used some fill flash, unless it was a telephoto pic, and then maybe you could have shot her face from a different angle. ne_nau.gif
    www.chase.smugmug.com
    I just press the button and the camera goes CLICK. :dunno
    Canon: gripped 20d and 30d, 10-22 3.5-4.5, 17-55 IS, 50mm f1.8, 70-200L IS, 85mm f1.8, 420ex
    sigma: 10-20 4-5.6 (for sale), 24-70 2.8 (for sale), 120-300 2.8
  • Options
    edited June 20, 2005
    Chase wrote:
    On number 4 you could have used some fill flash, unless it was a telephoto pic, and then maybe you could have shot her face from a different angle. ne_nau.gif
    +

Thanks for the time too look. Good idea.
    Theroo
  • Options
    ChaseChase Registered Users Posts: 284 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2005
    theroo wrote:
    +

Thanks for the time too look. Good idea.
    Please return the afvor and check out my pics (lots of softball and baseball) in my portfolio thread. :D Pretty please.
    www.chase.smugmug.com
    I just press the button and the camera goes CLICK. :dunno
    Canon: gripped 20d and 30d, 10-22 3.5-4.5, 17-55 IS, 50mm f1.8, 70-200L IS, 85mm f1.8, 420ex
    sigma: 10-20 4-5.6 (for sale), 24-70 2.8 (for sale), 120-300 2.8
  • Options
    mereimagemereimage Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2005
    Excellent advice....
    I was advised to see if I could have access to the field during games to get better angles and backgrounds. You might check apparently its allowed by some leagues. With press creds. you may already be doing this....Mereimage
  • Options
    edited June 20, 2005
    mereimage wrote:
    I was advised to see if I could have access to the field during games to get better angles and backgrounds. You might check apparently its allowed by some leagues. With press creds. you may already be doing this....Mereimage
    Thanks
    Theroo