brvheartbrvheart Registered Users Posts: 434 Major grins
edited October 23, 2009 in Street and Documentary
This was from summer vacation this year - CC welcomed

689190478_snyQx-L-1.jpg

Comments

• Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2009
    No image. Darn ghosts of Charleston don't show up well....
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,928 moderator
    edited October 22, 2009
    Check to see that external links are enabled in your gallery.
  • Options
    edited October 22, 2009
    crap. sorry about that - how about now :)
  • Options
    edited October 22, 2009
    Either I'm not getting something, or this shot doesn't really belong here. On one punny level, this is pure street photography -- nothing but street mwink.gif
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2009
    The variety of colored buildings in Charleston almost demands that they be recorded in color....particularly if your shot is of the city scape only. It is a fabulous place to shoot architecture.
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    edited October 22, 2009
    The variety of colored buildings in Charleston almost demands that they be recorded in color....particularly if your shot is of the city scape only. It is a fabulous place to shoot architecture.
    I don't agree with the color remark at all. If you are shooting Rainbow row or something of that nature yes I agree. But there is so much history and architecture that it begs to be shot in BW to give the feeling of the old days. Everything from rod iron fences to historic churches are wonderful in BW.
  • Options
    edited October 22, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    Either I'm not getting something, or this shot doesn't really belong here. On one punny level, this is pure street photography -- nothing but street mwink.gif

explain?
  • Options
    Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2009
    brvheart wrote:
    explain?

I think it's a poke at the fact you've made the brick-paver street your focus subject here.
  • Options
    edited October 22, 2009
    brvheart wrote:
    explain?

I guess I don't get the picture as street/PJ. Others do, so that's cool.
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    edited October 22, 2009
    maybe I should have given a little more info - the B&W I think works here because of the fact that the trees block most of the closet building, the closest build is also white in color, the buildings in the distant are brick colored and do not draw enough attention to render a good color photo imo.

I shot this because this downtown historical Charleston right at the entry to the water front park which is usually packed with people year round, yet I was able to capture it with not a single soul on the street - I have been going there for 30 years and never once able to catch it without at least one person there.

And on a sidenote - I was going to post until I read the sticky, so thought that it fits.
    This forum is dedicated to the urban scene. In addition to photojournalism and traditional street photography, spontaneous shots depicting urban life belong here--even if no people are shown. It is not meant for skylines or urban panoramas, though; vistas should still be posted in the Landscapes forum. Street scenes and candids, back alleys, graffiti, dimly lit bars, etc., all may be posted here. So get out there and remember to look both ways before shooting.

For contrast here is the same shot pre conversion

689191295_usrMX-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 22, 2009
    My bad. Please accept my apologies.
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    edited October 22, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    My bad. Please accept my apologies.

no worries man at all - seriously, I am new to street/PJ (even newer than everything else) and this was my first attempt - so I was almost expected to get half laughed at and half baked on this one to be honest. It never occured to me that this one might not be a street image in traditional sense. I value everyones feedback and the only way I will get better is to learn from my peers - so please dont feel bad.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,928 moderator
    edited October 23, 2009
    brvheart wrote:
    no worries man at all - seriously, I am new to street/PJ (even newer than everything else) and this was my first attempt - so I was almost expected to get half laughed at and half baked on this one to be honest. It never occured to me that this one might not be a street image in traditional sense. I value everyones feedback and the only way I will get better is to learn from my peers - so please dont feel bad.

Not traditional street photography but well placed in this forum, which is meant to be more inclusive.

Now about the pic: I was struck by the similarity to many streets here in Madrid--cobblestone streets, iron fences, decorative street lamps, even the first building resembles the architecture here. But I bet we have better tapas. :D I think it could work in either B&W or color, if you made the colors a bit stronger. Nevertheless, it seems to be lacking a focal point. It's a nice background but needs a subject.
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2009
    I think that this picture could be part of a wonderful series showing the street at different times of day and night with different populations etc. Or a series of photographs of the streets of Charleston.

Use it to tell a story.

For me (and I love straight street pictures), it is a nice picture of a street but there is no way for me to know that capturing it without people or traffic is a very rare event. In fact, I get no clues as to what city it is.

FWIW, as much as I love b&w, I think I rather like this one in color. There is a pastel feel to it that adds to the quiet ambiance. I'd punch it up a bit - intensivy the contrast - and see how you like it.

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2009
    Richard wrote:
    Not traditional street photography but well placed in this forum, which is meant to be more inclusive.

Now about the pic: I was struck by the similarity to many streets here in Madrid--cobblestone streets, iron fences, decorative street lamps, even the first building resembles the architecture here. But I bet we have better tapas. :D I think it could work in either B&W or color, if you made the colors a bit stronger. Nevertheless, it seems to be lacking a focal point. It's a nice background but needs a subject.

Thank you for the feedback - I do see what you are saying here. I will try to do better next time.
    Flyinggina wrote:
    I think that this picture could be part of a wonderful series showing the street at different times of day and night with different populations etc. Or a series of photographs of the streets of Charleston.

Use it to tell a story.

For me (and I love straight street pictures), it is a nice picture of a street but there is no way for me to know that capturing it without people or traffic is a very rare event. In fact, I get no clues as to what city it is.

FWIW, as much as I love b&w, I think I rather like this one in color. There is a pastel feel to it that adds to the quiet ambiance. I'd punch it up a bit - intensivy the contrast - and see how you like it.

Virginia

After looking at this again, I think you are right that color could work here with the right PP. I also agree that it could be used to tell a story with more photos - both good feed back and noted.
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    I guess I don't get the picture as street/PJ. Others do, so that's cool.

Naked emperor time...There is, sad to say, nothing here. It's a shot of a street - which is not "street photography." But it's a very flat shot of a street - that is, there is nothing here for the eye or mind - it's just a shot of a street. As to the color v black and white argument - the color version does suggest some interesting light. But... color doesn't save it. Sorry.:(:
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2009
    bdcolen wrote:
    Naked emperor time...There is, sad to say, nothing here. It's a shot of a street - which is not "street photography." But it's a very flat shot of a street - that is, there is nothing here for the eye or mind - it's just a shot of a street. As to the color v black and white argument - the color version does suggest some interesting light. But... color doesn't save it. Sorry.:(:

opinions vary, I disagree with you. Charleston is a huge populated tourist city that has a ton of history. To catch this street with no one on it and looking peaceful tells a story in itself. Good thing beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Are saying that an exposure can not tell a story of serenity without having a huge central focal point or is it that this photo just does not belong in the street photography section as mentioned prior?