Options

Some candids

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited October 23, 2009 in Street and Documentary
or perhaps "outtakes" might be a better moniker.

After 10 days flat out with H1N1 flu, my daughter perked up enough yesterday to ask me if I'd take some pictures of her with her for a project she's doing. I was happy to oblige, of course - it was a relief to see her up and moving, and (eveil shutterbug mommy that I am) was also a nice opportunity for me to play around with using the sun as back/rim lighting, grabbing some "mom portraits" as well as filling her request to take shots of her with her Nintendo for something she's cooking up :D

She pasted on the usual "pose for mom" smile for most of them, but I caught these few when she had actually refocused her attention on the game instead of me; nothing special, really, but they captured a little slice of What It's Like To Be 11, I think.

687700256_MoEkn-L.jpg

687700146_fH4Nc-L.jpg

687700225_XhQo5-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2009
    Hi Divamum, nice to see you posting here. :Dclap.gif

The only comment I can really make is that it might be fun to "intentionally" create some out takes. If you're working with a zoom, then pull back just a little. Your daughter probably won't know the difference and it would be nice to get some of the environment in the shot as well. Or, pretend to be working on some settings on the camera while slyly hitting the shutter release.

It might add to the candid nature of the shots.
  • Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2009
    Nice set! I like her expression in #3.
  • Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2009
    Mornin Diva,
    First--glad to know she's over the nasty bug.

As for the shots, I like #2--the look of total concentration, I hope she won:)
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2009
    Thanks all! Yes, I like to catch her unawares when I can, but she seems to have 360 degree vision and is very good at spotting me pick up the camera or make adjustments no matter how stealthily I try to do them... She's also getting really good at running fast in the opposite direction rolleyes1.gif I'll take what I can get thumb.gif
  • Options
    cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2009
    Glad your daughter is doing better.

Nice shots. I like #1 the best out of the three. That rim lighting looks great! I also like that you've got detail throughout her hair and all that texture in her sweater. In the other two images her hair is dark enough that some areas are losing detail (might just be my monitor though).
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2009
    Soooo glad your daughter is feeling better. The flu thing is scary .

Sweet shots. The back light works well. I can see detail in the hair in all thee shots.

It is hard to capture those moments when youngsters are perfectly at ease in their environments and not playing one way or the other to the camera. Like gold!

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2009
    cletus wrote:
    Glad your daughter is doing better.

Nice shots. I like #1 the best out of the three. That rim lighting looks great! I also like that you've got detail throughout her hair and all that texture in her sweater. In the other two images her hair is dark enough that some areas are losing detail (might just be my monitor though).

Thanks! Yeah, I did the conversions slightly differently in those - I should go back and pull the blacks up a little so the shadow details are clearer thumb.gif
    Flyinggina wrote:
    Soooo glad your daughter is feeling better. The flu thing is scary .

Sweet shots. The back light works well. I can see detail in the hair in all thee shots.

It is hard to capture those moments when youngsters are perfectly at ease in their environments and not playing one way or the other to the camera. Like gold!

Virginia

Thanks Virginia! She's a tricky one to catch unawares - partly because I've made the poor kid suffer through so many "mom needs to practice" sessions, I suspect!!