Options

The Many Faces of Afghanistan

mosackmosack Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
edited October 25, 2009 in Street and Documentary
481345342_cKMDA-X2-2.jpg
Here is a photo I took in Afghanistan. There are 6 girls faces looking through their school's muddied window. These 6 girls express emotions like Shock, Hope, Fear, Curiosity, Anger and Dispair. It might be a representation of their entire country's struggle to regain their infrastructure, their lives and their culture, from the era of the Russians and Taliban rule. Once, these girls wouldn't be allowed an education. Now, what future, might these girls have?
I welcome all comments -
good or bad!

Comments

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,928 moderator
    edited October 20, 2009
    mosack wrote:
    Here is a photo I took in Afghanistan. There are 6 girls faces looking through their school's muddied window. These 6 girls express emotions like Shock, Hope, Fear, Curiosity, Anger and Dispair. It might be a representation of their entire country's struggle to regain their infrastructure, their lives and their culture, from the era of the Russians and Taliban rule. Once, these girls wouldn't be allowed an education. Now, what future, might these girls have?
    www.michaelmosack.com or http://tinyurl.com/yz9cptq
    I welcome all comments - good or bad!

Hi Michael and welcome to Dgrin. wave.gif I saw that pic on another forum and really like it, but I wish you would put a bigger version of it up here. How To Post on Dgrin
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2009
    mosack wrote:
    www.michaelmosack.com or http://tinyurl.com/yz9cptq
    I welcome all comments - good or bad!

fabulous on many different levels. if you could post a larger size and not attach it (compression in this process can cause rsolution loss).
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,928 moderator
    edited October 20, 2009
    Qarik wrote:
    fabulous on many different levels. if you could post a larger size and not attach it (compression in this process can cause rsolution loss).

Since it is hosted on SmugMug, you can just link to it. deal.gif
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2009
    Thanks for the help and the link. I think I've got it now! :ivar
    Richard wrote:
    Hi Michael and welcome to Dgrin. wave.gif I saw that pic on another forum and really like it, but I wish you would put a bigger version of it up here. How To Post on Dgrin
  • Options
    JermbubbaJermbubba Registered Users Posts: 148 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2009
    wow. well done. this photo made me stop and look for quite a whle! thanks
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2009
    Thanks for the comments! :) I fixed the image too!
    Qarik wrote:
  • Options
    CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2009
    Beautifully done. It looks like an old photo in a wood frame, but it's not.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2009
    mosack wrote:
    I welcome all comments -
    good or bad!

Terrific image - excellent! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif But I really, really, really could do without being told what to see when I look at an image - especially when I look at an image as strong as this one. In fact, having you tell me what to see really takes away from the viewing experience.

Now, if you want to tell us something, tell us how you came to take this, and if you have more images from Afghanistan, please share them with us. :D
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    bradpowellphotobradpowellphoto Registered Users Posts: 378 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2009
    A wonderful powerful image with so much to say and so much for you think about.

I think the Mods should start a sticky with the best of "street and pj" and this should be one of the images.

Thanks for sharing.
    “Look, I'm not an intellectual - I just take pictures.” Helmut Newton

My Vancouver Island Photography Website http://bradpowellphoto.com
    My Facebook Page http://www.facebook.com/bradpowellphoto
  • Options
    edited October 21, 2009
    I appreciate your comments. I guess the photojournalism part of me wants to tell their story as much as show it in pictures. I am over here in Afghanistan and was with a US Military Unit as they stopped at a school to hand out school supplies that have been donated by Churches and schools back home. At first, the girls would run everytime they saw the camera come out, but then slowly got used to me. Using a 400mm zoom lens I was able to catch this candid shot of them looking through their school's window. I do have many more photos from different parts of Afghanistan on my website www.michaelmosack.com and I am adding more when time allows. Be forwarned though, that I also have write ups on a lot of them as well, so ignore the reading if you prefer!
    Mike
    bdcolen wrote:
    Terrific image - excellent! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif But I really, really, really could do without being told what to see when I look at an image - especially when I look at an image as strong as this one. In fact, having you tell me what to see really takes away from the viewing experience.

Now, if you want to tell us something, tell us how you came to take this, and if you have more images from Afghanistan, please share them with us. :D
  • Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2009
    Hi Mike...

I have to disagree with BD on this one.

Your story plus the shot is (to me) the definition of PJ. I mean its "photo + journalism" isn't it?

Sometimes the story can give context (and appeal) when the image can't tell the whole story. Your image is strong and the comments embellish it for me.

For example: Your image in B&W could look like kids in the 30's in the dust bowl US Midwest. But it's today, and that fact gives it more relevance.
    Rags
  • Options
    edited October 21, 2009
    I appreciate your comments. I admit to initial confusion, upon reading BD's post as I thought that the PJ was for photojournalism and that my adding an explanation or description of the image or story idea behind it was expected. I did shorten it quite a bit from the write up I did on my website because I didn't want to get too long in the tooth... especially on my first posted image :) The funny part is that on my Kabul Begger image, I initially didn't really write anything and that caused the opposite reaction, so in the followup posts, I added a description that I failed to do at first.
    torags wrote:
    Hi Mike...

Your story plus the shot is (to me) the definition of PJ. I mean its "photo + journalism" isn't it?

Sometimes the story can give context (and appeal) when the image can't tell the whole story. Your image is strong and the comments embellish it for me.

For example: Your image in B&W could look like kids in the 30's in the dust bowl US Midwest. But it's today, and that fact gives it more relevance.
  • Options
    Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2009
    I like it. Nice framed too.
    :D
  • Options
    edited October 21, 2009
    torags wrote:
    Hi Mike...

Well, actually I didn't suggest converting it.mwink.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• Options
    edited October 21, 2009
    mosack wrote:
    I appreciate your comments. I admit to initial confusion, upon reading BD's post as I thought that the PJ was for photojournalism and that my adding an explanation or description of the image or story idea behind it was expected. I did shorten it quite a bit from the write up I did on my website because I didn't want to get too long in the tooth... especially on my first posted image :) The funny part is that on my Kabul Begger image, I initially didn't really write anything and that caused the opposite reaction, so in the followup posts, I added a description that I failed to do at first.

I made the comment I did because I simply want to see images - I believe if an image is any good, it will speak for itself - and this image does - as does your beggar image. Even good PJ images can often stand alone. But I know there are other people here who want to know everything they can about the situation surrounding the photo. So be it.

In any case, it's a wonderful image. clap.gifclap.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2009
    As i said earlier i like this one.

I wonder if Afghans sale their special burger wrapped in the long bread full of chips and sausage. You should try that with special afghan sauces. There are some afghan shops in my area who sale this burger. I prefer Afghan food over Pakistani food.

Sorry for going off topic. :eat
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2009
    As i said earlier i like this one.

I wonder if Afghans sale their special burger wrapped in the long bread full of chips and sausage. You should try that with special afghan sauces. There are some afghan shops in my area who sale this burger. I prefer Afghan food over Pakistani food.

Sorry for going off topic. :eat

No apology accepted.. Those sound pretty tasty..
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2009
    I only wish this image was in my gallery instead of yours! :D That is my highest compliment! Looking at such a strong image as this is like being given a gift that is wrapped in luxurious papers and ribbons. My eyes want to go over the "wrappings" again and again, enjoying and seeing something new with each pass. I want to savor the moments and anticipate what the gift might hold inside. What might these children be thinking? What could be happening here? What might they see? I prefer not being told 'what' to see in an image....it's like telling me what's inside the gift before I take off the ribbons. It halts the viewing pleasure immediately. You might consider giving viewers a few posts at least to form their own ideas about the shot before commenting on what you 'see' in the photo. All that being said, I think this is a real jewel of a shot! bowdown.gifbowdown.gif
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2009
    I can't say it any better than the others have.

Absolutely wonderful, moving, mystifying, gorgeous capture.

Bravo!!

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2009
    Beautiful, powerfull and thought provoking!!

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2009
    What a great and powerful image.....I get lost looking into those eyes......tons of emotion in there.......bowdown.gifbowbowdown.gif
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website