Options

Soccer Individuals

KaganKagan Registered Users Posts: 196 Major grins
edited October 26, 2009 in Sports
Finally tried using off camera manual flash for my Individuals and team. Could I ever tell a difference. Before they were either too dark, or the sky was blown out or god awful shadows across thier faces. I think these turned out fairly well. Judging by the parents votes they were happy. They voted with dollars and already making sure I was doing them again next year!

1. Best all around I think from that evening.
682701206_nEbFp-L-1.jpg

2. I was down lower for this one. Not sure how I feel about the angle.
682702905_chrvr-L-1.jpg

3. Thought her photo was good but not sure how I feel about that shadow across the ground behind her.
682690168_xTj4a-L-1.jpg

4. This one looks a trifle hot on here but it printed beautifully. I was particularly happy with it because she was the one that was late and they were fast approaching game time and I held off to let her be in the team picture as long as I could. When she arrived I tossed her in the team lineup and sent the rest of the team then running for the game. I then had to get her in no time flat and let her rush to play.
682695857_zYX9y-L-1.jpg
5. Another little fellow that you could just tell was trouble by his grin. That and the fact that everyone at the park seemed to know him. After looking back I didnt care for the way the ball was positioned so remember that the next time.
682690386_5voJM-L-1.jpg

6. Also here is the team. I should have had one more light I think to even the light out more. The photo was fine for everyone but in MY head it needed to be more even. Live and learn.
682699127_kPyFh-L-1.jpg

All in all I was happy with using manual off camera flash for the first time(in anyway that mattered) I kept it to my left over my shoulder. I tweaked by just pulling it down to where I kneeled, adjusting and raising it back up. Things I see is to definitely bring the other light to the field since I had it in the truck anyway(DOH) and keep an eye on backgrounds, angles, ball position. I am happy to say I wasnt a nervous wreck about the whole thing and felt like I was in control of the situation, and not just someone reacting to every disaster that occured lol.

By the way a special kudos to Art Scott. I hear him telling how he could machine gun teams out in 5 minutes flat or even faster. I am envious. Not that I want to be all about shoving kids through of course. But I am very impressed with having that much control over everything and making it go that smoothly!
:bow
Kagan

Comments

• Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2009
    Off camera lighting is nice, but your lighting here seems very inconsistent. The faces seem a bit hot on some and underexposed and flat on others. When taking shots like these in an environment that is stable, you should find your proper settings and just keep everything on manual for consistency. I suspect that is how Art is able to plow through an entire team in 5 minutes.

I also don't care for the backgrounds here. I realize the trees are pretty, but they detract from the point of this shot which is to focus on the individual. This is the one scenario where I try to shoot down on these kids. If you have them on one knee, you can shoot down on them which will give you a nice, clean background. Chose a nice grassy place in the shade and then line up the kids.

227511898_UPCrd-L.jpg
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited October 26, 2009
    I agree with the background comment. The other thing I'd add is having a ball or other prop that shows the sport would be helpful.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?