Options

Railroad Images

Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
edited October 31, 2009 in People
Just a question...no image...and quite possibly something that only bugs me. So, please everyone take this with a grain of salt.

I just don't get the whole "posing on the tracks" thing. I should also go ahead and admit that I just did it yesterday with 2 seniors. I had them, though, walk the rail and try to keep their balance by extending their hands. Their expressions were wonderful. Their feet certainly suggested movement as did their hips and shoulders. What I don't get is the lone person or an embraced engagement couple being static on/around RRTX. I'm not talking about "rules" or "should/could haves"...or anything like that. There's another thread here with the image of a young man sitting down between the tracks. I actually really like the processing and the colors really pop but the first thing that comes to mind, especially because of his expression, is quite depressing, if you get my drift.

I'm the first person to preach "rules schmules". For some reason though, the whole sedentary railroad track shot...in general, not any shot in particular... just bums me out. :D

Comments

• Options
    J AllenJ Allen Registered Users Posts: 359 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2009
    I actually love taking photographs on the tracks, but I think it has to go with the story of the picture, for example young senior's always request the "RR Tracks shot". I think it represents kinda the journey...adds some "edginess" and contrast to the picture.....here are a few of mine to add to this discussion...

402158562_CnaP5-M-1.jpg

608825586_whUUS-M-1.jpg

614252203_2UdJA-M-1.jpg

531394195_aJyXL-M.jpg

681199146_nghnS-M.jpg
    -Joe Allen
    My Smugmug Site
  • Options
    J AllenJ Allen Registered Users Posts: 359 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2009
    Did you see THIS THREAD
    -Joe Allen
    My Smugmug Site
  • Options
    edited October 26, 2009
    JA, 1-3-4-5....now THAT'S what I'm talkin' about! Great use of the location. 1 is an idea I will definately be using from now on. Thanks very much! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited October 26, 2009
    Just read the other thread and just don't care to comment. But I will. :D

The danger issue....is not an issue. Anyone that uses the tracks and can't "tell" that they are near danger (approaching train) has no business being there...period. headscratch.gif

Like many other techniques, take selective color for instance, using the tracks can make for some wonderful images....if done "interestingly" enough.
  • Options
    jgoetz4jgoetz4 Registered Users Posts: 1,267 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2009
    Idlewild wrote:
    Just read the other thread and just don't care to comment. But I will. :D

The danger issue....is not an issue. Anyone that uses the tracks and can't "tell" that they are near danger (approaching train) has no business being there...period. headscratch.gif

Like many other techniques, take selective color for instance, using the tracks can make for some wonderful images....if done "interestingly" enough.
    Good Afternoon,
    As a construction inspector who has witnessed the destruction of a dump truck and 2 backhoes on an active Amtrak line, I can assure you there is a danger issue while being on the tracks. While all the incidences happened in the presence of a RR safety inspector who was using his airhorn, the driver of the truck and the backhoe operators presumed they had time to clear the tracks. They were mistaken. At the time of each accident, the train was traveling on a (non residential) straight away at approximately 105 mph. A 105 mph train moves about 154' a second, and would cross a football field from end zone to end zone in about 2 seconds. It's that fast and it's there before you know it.
    Have a good afternoon,
    Jim...
  • Options
    Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2009
    To the OP:

Interesting you bring this up; in the other thread you mention, I was one of the contributors who feel uncomfortable about working near RR tracks, particularly ones which are active (c'mon chaps, you should all know by now how to tell the difference! eek7.gif )

…anyway back to your photos:

#1 (IMNSHO) is awful! I can't see their faces! Who are these people? Do I know them? …do I care? Uh-oh… here comes a trai… AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGG!!! (splat! :D )

#2: is great! has all the right lines (pardon the pun) and is interesting! (although I might have moved the frame slightly to the left so that she's not dead centre…)

#3 & #4: Well, I don't know about keeping everything smack in the centre…

#5: Took me a moment to realize she's hanging on to a wagon; I'm surprised you weren't warned off (trespass etc. etc.) - don't get me wrong, I'm not a kill-joy, but any accidents are usually followed by writs, cases, etc. etc. (USA being the most litigious country in The World…) and I wouldn't want to be in the middle of such a mess.

jgoetz4 makes a Very Good Point: Don't Mess with The Trains! thumb.gif

…er, that's it.

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • Options
    Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2009
    …by the way:

Looking back at pic #1: One of my Dad's friends worked on the railways in the UK, and back in the days before technology was what it is today, all track (permanent way) was visually inspected by teams of line inspectors on foot who would walk the tracks looking for damaged rails, missing or loose fish-plates, anchors, and loose ballast, or debris etc. on the lines (this was in the days before continuous welded sections). They would walk on the outside of the track, inspecting the sides of the two rails they could see, and when at the end of a section, return along the outside of the other rail, inspecting the other two sides. They would never ever walk in between the rails, because most often they would not hear a train approaching from behind.

Just so's you all know… mwink.gif

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • Options
    Pa. PatriotPa. Patriot Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited October 31, 2009
    Just finished my first senior session and included in the mix was... yep, you guessed it ;)

694592682_nb2ik-L.jpg
  • Options
    BMW KurtBMW Kurt Registered Users Posts: 229 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2009
    Idlewild wrote:
    Just a question...no image...and quite possibly something that only bugs me. So, please everyone take this with a grain of salt.

I just don't get the whole "posing on the tracks" thing. I should also go ahead and admit that I just did it yesterday with 2 seniors. I had them, though, walk the rail and try to keep their balance by extending their hands. Their expressions were wonderful. Their feet certainly suggested movement as did their hips and shoulders. What I don't get is the lone person or an embraced engagement couple being static on/around RRTX. I'm not talking about "rules" or "should/could haves"...or anything like that. There's another thread here with the image of a young man sitting down between the tracks. I actually really like the processing and the colors really pop but the first thing that comes to mind, especially because of his expression, is quite depressing, if you get my drift.

I'm the first person to preach "rules schmules". For some reason though, the whole sedentary railroad track shot...in general, not any shot in particular... just bums me out. :D

I have never really thought about this before, but now that you mention it. My first thought is that RR tracks provide automatic leading lines. These can be powerful in any photo. Also the symbolism of beginning a journey is strong. Put the two together and you have a good shot!