Options

Surfer Shots.. well......

toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
edited October 27, 2009 in Sports
went to near Mavericks to shot some surfers. I was there yesterday, wave heights 9 - 15'. Today wasn't as high. I didn't get get any keepers yesterday too foggy, figured today could have been better. Well not much really, 400+ images - maybe 10 not so good keepers. Well I got a reservation on a boat for the Mavericks contest while I was down there.

690318104_vPgnB-M.jpg

While drowning my sorrows in a Cappuccino in Half Moon Bay I noticed some Bees. I figured what the hell, got my cam from the car and got the best shot of the day with a 300 2.8 + 1.4 (so who needs macro?)
690318115_SAcjt-M.jpg
Rags

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited October 26, 2009
    I'm curious whether there'll be a contest this year.

Where did you shoot these from?
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited October 26, 2009
    ian408 wrote:
    I'm curious whether there'll be a contest this year.

Where did you shoot these from?

I think its fair enough to say "only God knows" if there will be a contest.

The window is going to open on Nov 1. Jeff Clark the originator, has been displaced by the current management. I think he was the one who pressed for a Jan 1 opening window. Last year we had some big surf in Dec.

I shot at the main road beach (south of the Pillar Point turn), since you need a 600mm (or boat) to shoot the Maverick waves.

I've been there a few times. Morning light is the best; check on Surfline.com for waves, wind and surfing quality. I've seen very few good surfers there, actually most pretty mediocre. Afternoon light gives silhouettes.

I'm not going there any more for that. I got more exciting and frequent opportunities at Waddel beach in the afternoons, with kite surfers. It's 30 miles so. of Half Moon Bay.

From now on I'm only going to shoot at surf contests, where they have to surf or lose (and I'll travel).

Waddel is very cool in the afternoon; windsurfers, kite surfers and winds are more predictable ( and they whine less than surfers)

660372374_a8fcW-M-1.jpg

666594974_8hzWR-M.jpg
    Rags
  • Options
    edited October 26, 2009
    If you want some OK wave action, hit Pacifica beach. That's a nice straight shot and the waves can be nice in the summer time. Winter is OK but better action in scruz.
  • Options
    edited October 26, 2009
    Thanks Ian
    Rags
  • Options
    edited October 26, 2009
    torags wrote:
    Thanks Ian
    We should go shoot sometime. You're not all that far from me and I'm usually free at least two days a week.
  • Options
    edited October 26, 2009
    I keep track of conditions on surfline.

If you're up for Waddell I'll PM you for your availability. We can meet at 92 & 280, I can drive (if you like)
    Rags
  • Options
    edited October 27, 2009
    torags wrote:
    I keep track of conditions on surfline.

If you're up for Waddell I'll PM you for your availability. We can meet at 92 & 280, I can drive (if you like)
    I'd be coming from the other direction. But Waddell seems like a cool spot.
  • Options
    edited October 27, 2009
    ian408 wrote:
    I'd be coming from the other direction. But Waddell seems like a cool spot.

Check out Jacobs new thread - surfing in Ca. I think he shoots with a 400 but does great work with talented subjects at Waddell.
    Rags