Options

A few recent shots

RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,928 moderator
edited October 27, 2009 in Street and Documentary
693253205_vTeUr-L.jpg
693174364_vkBqB-L.jpg

693163245_pCQ5r-L.jpg
693147386_ucwCD-L.jpg

I thought I might save you guys some time by just posting in B&W this time. :lol3

I hope the images stand on their own, but for the curious, the sign in #1 reads "Give me alms. I am a poor widow and need it to eat." And #4 means "Buy/Sell gold, silver, diamonds." Times are tough here, too.

C&C always welcome.

Comments

• Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2009
    Morning Richard,
    I'm glad you translated--my eyes are going fast--I read "soy una pobre vieja" lol--I like #1, you captured an uncomfortable feeling--It's hard to ignore the elderly when they are begging, and the old woman seems like she's stalking her prey.

#2 is my favorite--I dont' know the relationship,I want to say passionate, but the one with her back to you doesn't seem so into it. It leaves me wondering--the background adds a nice twist.

#3, he seems pissed you snapped him out of his deep reverie.

Thank you for posting---I do like the b&w.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2009
    Richard wrote:
    I thought I might save you guys some time by just posting in B&W this time. lol3.gif
    Now you're learning! clap.gif:D

I love how the old woman and young woman in the foreground of number one are so directly in opposition. The old wants to eat (as per your explanation), the young wants to flee. The old insists on confrontation while the young insists on avoidance. There's a lot going on there. thumb.gif
    Travis
  • Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2009
    #1 is, I think, an amazing social commentary piece. The old woman's expression, the body language on the young woman, the sunglasses providing a certain anonymity and 'everyman' identity to her. clap.gif

#2 didn't like this one as much. I'm not sure about the juxtoposition of the couple and all that remodeling going on around them. The huge things that look like draperies catch my eye much more.

#3. I read annoyed here as well, or more of 'oh bother...'. It is a sad expression, especially as a bar scene.

#4. Again, a great contrast of her hopelessness and the young group in the corner appearing to be very happy with their lot in life.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    tortillatorturetortillatorture Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2009
    hello, nice shots!
    i have to say, the nr2 really got me, nice scene and light! my favourite.
  • Options
    craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2009
    Nice pix. I think I might have liked #4 a little better with deeper focus instead of the soft background, but it's still my favorite of this set.
    http://craigd.smugmug.com

Got bored with digital and went back to film.
  • Options
    PedroPedro Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited October 26, 2009
    #1 does not work for me - light is too harsh; cropped at knees and across the arm; confusing background.

#2 Cliche but very well done. Good composition, lovely background.

#3 not interesting to me - just an old guy looking at the camera.

#4 is quite intriguing what she might be doing walking on the street with such poster. I like it.
  • Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2009
    Hi Richard,

You've a nice group here but the first is really great, followed by #4.
    Don't let these guys scare you out of color though.

Take care my friend,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2009
    # 1 and #4 intrigue me.

In #1, is that a mask on her face? If so, what's up with that?... because she may not be as old and needy as she looks. Or is this a cultural thing, such as not showing the face in such a pursuit?

#4 has such a look on her face. I stare at it and read it as a look of "What's the use?" She may be verging on loss of hope, but will keep trying...
  • Options
    edited October 27, 2009
    Thanks so much for your comments. I was a little bit surprised that several of you thought that #2 was a cliché--I was more concerned that #1 might be. Ah, well--unless you're NASA it's hard to get a pic that's never been done before. Even then someone will complain that it's yet another shot of colliding galaxies. rolleyes1.gif But yeah, Love Among The Ruins is an old theme, though in this case it's really Love Among The Gentrification. The background is an old palace that's being converted to a boutique hotel.

Tom: No, I won't be giving up color any time soon, but I do like B&W as well. Lately I've ended up with about 60% color and 40% B&W.

Rainbow: Good catch about the face in #1. My impression at the time was that she was deformed, but it could actually be a mask. Nobody has dressed like that in Madrid for about 50 years, come to think of it, so the whole thing might be a scam. I've seen her before, and if I see her again, I'll try to investigate.

Pedro: There are many walking billboards for buying/selling gold in Madrid and a fair number of stores as well. In fact there are so many that I suspect the whole thing might be a money laundering scheme. I shot that pic from the hip for one of BD's exercises. I didn't really like it much at first but it has been growing on me. I think maybe it needs a little more contrast, or at least deeper blacks.

Liz: If I recall correctly, the guy at the bar was staring like that before I even raised my camera. I have no idea what he's thinking but I find the face interesting, and that's probably why I liked the pic.

Thanks again for the feedback. It is very helpful. thumb.gif
  • Options
    sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2009
    I think #1 is a powerful shot - but yes, technically it leaves something to be desired, as it is true, it's not clear whether that's the woman's real face - but I'm pretty sure it is, not a mask. It would be even more powerful if it showed the face in better detail.
    I find the juxtaposition of the older woman begging and the younger woman ignoring her to be quite compelling.
    edit: I do wish it were exposed better, but that being said, I also think there's more latitude with street photography because often, things are happening very quickly. Is it better to have the shot, albeit not technically perfect? Probably (while always still striving for perfection!).
  • Options
    edited October 27, 2009
    sara505 wrote:
    I think #1 is a powerful shot - but yes, technically it leaves something to be desired, as it is true, it's not clear whether that's the woman's real face - but I'm pretty sure it is, not a mask. It would be even more powerful if it showed the face in better detail.
    I find the juxtaposition of the older woman begging and the younger woman ignoring her to be quite compelling.
    edit: I do wish it were exposed better, but that being said, I also think there's more latitude with street photography because often, things are happening very quickly. Is it better to have the shot, albeit not technically perfect? Probably (while always still striving for perfection!).
    Yeah, it was shot in harsh mid-day light. Usually I would dial in some negative EC, but I didn't want to lose the folds of the black dress. So it became the wedding shooter problem--black tux, white dress--and I only rarely carry a flash on the street. I acknowledge the faults, but I am still happy with the physical aspects, the difference in size of the two women and the fact that the young one is literally elbowing her way to avoid the other. But now I am really hung up on whether that was a mask or not. It occurred to me that instead of a scam it could conceivably be an example of (extremely) black Spanish humor. headscratch.gif I have to find her again...