Options

2 cameras, many lens's, what lens stays on??

christulkchristulk Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
edited October 27, 2009 in Weddings
Hi All,

I am new to wedding photography. I have shot my sisters wedding and one of my friends weddings a number of years ago (both on film). I have recently been asked to shoot my best friends wedding - in order to save him some money; and because he likes my type of photography:huh .

I am after some advice from more regular wedding photogs.

I will have at my disposal the following:
all Canon stuff,
20D
40D
85 mm 1.8
10-22 mm 3.5-4.5 USM
24-105mm 4 L IS USM
70-200mm 2.8 L IS USM
100 mm 2.8 USM
17-85mm 4-5.6 IS USM
Speedlite 580 ExII

I will be shooting the wedding mainly outside (in and around park and Gazebo) at at about 5-7pm (starting late arvo and heading into dusk). Some shots at the reception will be twilight (shooting on a jetty).

I was planing on having the 40D set up with the 24-105, and the 20D with the 10-22mm, changing with the 85 mm for 'hand/ring' shots.

With the equipment listed above, how would you use it?

Greatly appreciate your comments/thoughts:D
C&C always welcomed.

Cheers

Chris

http://christulk.smugmug.com

'alot' is two words "a_______lot":D

Comments

• Options
    Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2009
    Both Camera Bodies and the following...

85 mm 1.8
    24-105mm 4 L IS USM
    70-200mm 2.8 L IS USM
    Speedlite 580 ExII

Have a wide angle on stand-by.
  • Options
    metmet Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2009
    Idlewild wrote:
    Both Camera Bodies and the following...

85 mm 1.8
    24-105mm 4 L IS USM
    70-200mm 2.8 L IS USM
    Speedlite 580 ExII

Have a wide angle on stand-by.
    I'm not a pro wedding photographer, but that was exactly my thought as well.
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2009
    If you can, consider renting a EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS and a second 580EX II.

The 24-105 f/4 is a very, very good lens for outdoor with sufficient light. As things get a little darker through, the difference between f/2.8 and f/4 can be all the difference in the world. The additional stop offered by the f/2.8 can be a life saver. In addition, the EF-S 17-55 gives you the ready access to wider focal lengths.

As for the second 580 - well, flashes have been known to fail and you don't want that to happen just as you are getting ready to shoot the twilight portraits and have to tell the B&G, "Sorry, equipment failure!"

With all your equipment in hand, I would shoot the day with both cameras. The 70-200 on the 20D and the 17-55 on the 40D, keeping the 10-22 and the 85 in close reach. As for using the 85 for the hand/ring shots - is the MFD short enough to make this workable? I don't know. I think the 24-105 would be a much better choice - it's a very sharp lens and it's MFD is up to the task. And, at those distances, wide open is not the way to go anyway - you need a bit of DOF to make it work.

Anyway, that's what I would do - FWIW.:D
  • Options
    christulkchristulk Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2009
    Thanks so much for your ideas. Looks like you all agree, the 10-22 on STBY (with the 85).

Some good thoughts here, and I think I'll use them!!:D

Thanks again.
    C&C always welcomed.

Cheers

Chris

http://christulk.smugmug.com

'alot' is two words "a_______lot":D