Options

owning rights to pictures (event photography)

firedancing4lifefiredancing4life Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
edited October 27, 2009 in Mind Your Own Business
Hi everyone,

I recieved this in an email discussing my deliverables for event photography at a local shopping mall.

" A CD would be good or you can just email me pdfs or jpegs. Some of the photos may be used on our websites for the shopping centers and some will be sent to the media for press releases. We may also have you take some architectural shots of the center and storefronts."

I have the following in my contract.

Any and all proofs, final or sample prints, digital media, or any other work product of Photographer (hereinafter collectively referred to as “Images”) shall remain the property of Photographer and may be used for advertising, display, or any other purpose thought proper by Photographer. Client agrees to execute any document necessary to give effect to this provision.

Photographer grants Client non-transferable and non-exclusive reproduction rights to the Images. Client shall not transfer, license, sell, lease, or otherwise confer either permanently or temporarily any reproduction rights to any work product of Photographer to any third party without express written permission by Photographer. Client retains the right to use the Images for personal use.

I guess my goal is to shoot the event at my hourly rate...charge for the CD and retain my rights to use the photos on my website/business card etc...maybe sell prints to event goers. If the event coordinator wants to give my photo out to the media/store owners...it seems I need to sell the rights to the picture? Or just give permission and amend the 1st paragraph from my contract.

Any thoughts? Am I missing something?

-Kevin

Comments

• Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2009
    This seems pretty simple to me. It appears the shopping mall is hiring you to perform some type of photography services and informing you of the intended use, and their preferred method of receiving the deliverables.

All you need to do is quote them whatever your rate is for this, specify what and how your gong to deliver, and list the uses you are licensing them for.

Easy peasy...........

Sam
  • Options
    Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2009
    15524779-Ti.gif

Everything is negotiable. Find out exactly what they want, how they want it and quote a price that makes sense for you.
    Steve

Website