Options

how to send someone hundreds of RAW images

VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
edited October 28, 2009 in Finishing School
I just booked a large event and they only require the RAW images, no editing. It is a 2 day event and there will be A LOT of photos. How do I send them to the client?
Trudy
www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2009
    Options Galore
    VayCayMom wrote:
    I just booked a large event and they only require the RAW images, no editing. It is a 2 day event and there will be A LOT of photos. How do I send them to the client?
    use a FTP client like SMART FTP .....or buy and charge them for a small harddrive or brun a bunch of DVD's ...........

Personally I would opt for the Hardrive solution (internal drive use a dock so it will act as an external ...... then the raws are ready for processing and all they need to do is either install in processing computer of get a dock and begin processing.....docks at Best buy run ~$50 forthe THERMALTAKE BLACKWIDOW.....it is a very good dock, I have been using one for over a year now and love it...internals are easier to store than external and also cheaper......
    Give the client the option of internal or external hard drive.......

Or just send them the flash memory out of your camera and buy new memory cards.............
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    AnthonyAnthony Registered Users Posts: 149 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2009
    VayCayMom wrote:

I see Art has answered your question, but I felt I had to write and ask why you would send raw images to a client - unprocessed tif or jpeg, if requested; yes, but the raw images are your digital 'negatives' and as such belong to you. I would never supply raw images to a client (or even friends) any more than I would have given away negatives in the old days.

If I have stuck my nose in inappropriately I apologise, but I felt I had to say something...

Anthony.
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2009
    1) Tiff
    2) Dvd
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2009
    Use Drop Box :D It's free and awesome. 10 second signup, put them in a folder just for the client and send them the link. Easy peasy.
  • Options
    catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Use Drop Box :D It's free and awesome. 10 second signup, put them in a folder just for the client and send them the link. Easy peasy.

That. Rocks.
    bowdown.gifbowdown.gif
    //Leah
  • Options
    edited October 13, 2009
    catspaw wrote:
    That. Rocks.
    bowdown.gifbowdown.gif
    Get it, use my link above. You won't regret it.
  • Options
    edited October 13, 2009
    Andy wrote:

I LIKE the way that sounds !!!! Thanks.
    Trudy

NIKON D700
  • Options
    edited October 13, 2009
    Anthony wrote:
    I see Art has answered your question, but I felt I had to write and ask why you would send raw images to a client - unprocessed tif or jpeg, if requested; yes, but the raw images are your digital 'negatives' and as such belong to you. I would never supply raw images to a client (or even friends) any more than I would have given away negatives in the old days.

If I have stuck my nose in inappropriately I apologise, but I felt I had to say something...

Anthony.

I appreciate the concern, but a job offer was made on this basis, from another Dgrinner and I am HAPPY to get the job !! Thrilled actually. And the job is basically candid type shots of an event. Maybe the term RAW is not the way to put it, they don't want or require any editing, they want SOOC. That is fine by me. thumb.gif
    Trudy

NIKON D700
  • Options
    edited October 13, 2009
    Andy wrote:

I didn't see the answer to this as I quickly signed up, but I assume they can download the files I upload?
    Trudy

NIKON D700
  • Options
    ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2009
    iloveyou.gif
    Andy wrote:
    Get it, use my link above. You won't regret it.
    bowdown.gif

This is the perfect solution for me. I am doing some press photography and wanted to send files in batches. Thanks Andy!
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    The free account has a storage limit on it - 2GB. I would wonder that this would be enough for transferring the RAW files from a two-day event? If you (VayCayMom) were providing the SOOC JPG files, this might be more than enough.
  • Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2009
    Andy wrote:

Full disclosure would mention that this is a referral link that earns you extra space. deal.gif
  • Options
    edited October 14, 2009
    Pupator wrote:
    Full disclosure would mention that this is a referral link that earns you extra space. deal.gif
    Haha lol3.gif , who cares? It's still free to anyone who uses it. I don't need the space (I already have all the free space possible from referrals), I pimp it because it's an awesome service, and they're friends of Smuggy's, and they like to see where the referrals come from. I'm sorry this upset you :(
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Haha lol3.gif , who cares? It's still free to anyone who uses it. I don't need the space (I already have all the free space possible from referrals), I pimp it because it's an awesome service, and they're friends of Smuggy's, and they like to see where the referrals come from. I'm sorry this upset you :(
    FWIW - I saw right away that this was a referral link (just read the URL deal.gif) and I have no problems with that. Smuggy does the same thing. It's just one way to increase business.
  • Options
    timparker_NikonD60timparker_NikonD60 Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited October 14, 2009
    Yeah, I saw that also, never used the service, but used the link and signed up. I also got extra space for following. So it's a win-win....Thanks Andy.

FWIW - I saw right away that this was a referral link (just read the URL deal.gif) and I have no problems with that. Smuggy does the same thing. It's just one way to increase business.
    http://www.timparker.com
    Nikon D60 Shooter - Portraits and Outdoors...
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2009
    Thanks for the link, Andy! thumb.gif
    Just got mine, too:-)
    https://www.getdropbox.com/referrals/NTI1MDUxNDg5
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2009
    VayCayMom wrote:
    I appreciate the concern, but a job offer was made on this basis, from another Dgrinner and I am HAPPY to get the job !! Thrilled actually. And the job is basically candid type shots of an event. Maybe the term RAW is not the way to put it, they don't want or require any editing, they want SOOC. That is fine by me. thumb.gif
    But do they actually want RAW files, or do they want JPGs? I haven't seen an answer to that question and its kinda important...
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    edited October 14, 2009
    mercphoto wrote:
    But do they actually want RAW files, or do they want JPGs? I haven't seen an answer to that question and its kinda important...
    I got the job from a post on Dgrinn, the request was for unprocessed files on CD or DVD, but I am thinking that would take a ton of cds, right? I have a Nikon d 700. What do you think they mean, the job poster is a photographer but he is in the event.
    Trudy

NIKON D700
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2009
    There is the other thing to consider about the images and backing up. If you do a few GB on line, how long will it take to transfer? A couple of hours? If you do a couple 100GB it could be faster to copy to CD/DVD/hard drive and overnighted.

I also agree that DropBox is way cool and I have been using it for a few days, thanks to Baldy, however it is not as fast as FTP (in my use) and there are size limits. These are not meant as digs just to make sure that everything is considered.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    edited October 14, 2009
    VayCayMom wrote:
    I got the job from a post on Dgrinn, the request was for unprocessed files on CD or DVD, but I am thinking that would take a ton of cds, right? I have a Nikon d 700. What do you think they mean, the job poster is a photographer but he is in the event.
    Unprocessed files... but what format are they wanting? Raw or jpg?
    A former sports shooter
  • Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2009
    Andy wrote:

Didn't upset me a bit because I know you. I was hoping to cut off the possibility of someone else being upset by it. No worries!
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2009
    Pupator wrote:
    Didn't upset me a bit because I know you. I was hoping to cut off the possibility of someone else being upset by it. No worries!
    :D Cool! Drop Box is da bomb.
  • Options
    PortraitProAlexPortraitProAlex Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited October 19, 2009
    Andy wrote:

Amazing.
  • Options
    HyperiateHyperiate Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited October 22, 2009
    VayCayMom wrote:
    There's really only one person who can give an authoritative answer on this -- is it hard to contact them?

Anyway, tell us the aggregate size of the images and we can tell you exactly how many CDs or DVDs it will take to hold that much data.

Me? I'd probably weed through them rejecting the non-keepers. I'd spend no more than 60 seconds per image adjusting the exposure and white balance if necessary, make sure the sharpness and noise reduction are up to snuff, and export them as full-res JPEGs at 92% quality unless I was specifically told otherwise. I would NOT do any cropping or load the photos into photoshop -- if it can't be done in 60 seconds in lightroom it's not what was asked for.

If the photographer who commissioned you really does want the RAW files, then I'd find out if they can accept them as a lightroom catalog, then export the results of the above as a catalog. Uncheck the previews boxes to keep the file size down.

It's my job to make sure that nothing goes out my door that doesn't represent my best.

Cheers,
    Tom B
  • Options
    NjordanNjordan Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited October 27, 2009
    Amazing.

I just signed up for it too (used Nik's ref link because Andy's said his was maxed) (Here is my Link to Dropbox)

I see that you can share the folder. Does the recipient need to signup in order to download the contents? ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2009
    Just signed up for dropbox, man this will save me some time and shipping costs!!! I'm really excited about it!
  • Options
    edited October 28, 2009
    Njordan wrote:
    I just signed up for it too (used Nik's ref link because Andy's said his was maxed) (Here is my Link to Dropbox)

I see that you can share the folder. Does the recipient need to signup in order to download the contents? ne_nau.gif

To answer my own question:

Yes the recipient needs to sign up, but does not need to download the software.
  • Options
    edited October 28, 2009
    Njordan wrote:
    To answer my own question:

Yes the recipient needs to sign up, but does not need to download the software.
    Is there password protection? And can you have multiple protected folders, with different passwords, for different users? I looked into using Apple's iDisk for this same purpose but it was too simplistic (i.e. one password, one protected region only).
    A former sports shooter
  • Options
    edited October 28, 2009
    mercphoto wrote:
    Is there password protection? And can you have multiple protected folders, with different passwords, for different users? I looked into using Apple's iDisk for this same purpose but it was too simplistic (i.e. one password, one protected region only).

I looks like the you can share the folder with an email address (they would then sign up), and they can only access their own folders an those which you have specifically shared with them.

In effect, yes, you can have multiple shared folders. The hangup I see is if you were to try sharing an already shared folder you are just adding people to access it. If someone were to upload to that folder, all who you have shared the folder with will see that file. It seems more geared towards collaboration than a FTP type solution. Does that make sense?