Options

Rate your auto white balance.

insanefredinsanefred Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
edited October 29, 2009 in Cameras
Just curious, what do you think of your camera(s) auto white balance. Be honest now. :wink

Nikon D50

40% hit (close enough) 60% terrible (way off)

Nikon D300 (latest firmware)

I have only found it accurate in direct sun light and when using flash. :dunno

Nikon D700

Accurate in direct sun light and when using flash.
Overall much more accurate than the D300, still a little too off to trust it.

Comments

• Options
    dangindangin Registered Users Posts: 458 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2009
    Nikon D3 - pretty damned good WB.

Canon 5DII - little too green and red at times.

yes, i shoot both. :D
    - Dan

- my photography: www.dangin.com
    - my blog: www.dangin.com/blog
    - follow me on twitter: @danginphoto
  • Options
    ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2009
    D90 and D300S. Good enough in most situations. And close enough to easily tweek in LR when working with a raw image.
  • Options
    craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2009
    Canon 5D Mark II. I shoot RAW all the time, so the camera's opinion on WB is merely a suggestion that I rarely take without modification. Outdoors, particularly at midday, it's often a reasonably good suggestion. Under artificial light, not so much.

The fundamental problem with auto WB, which as far as I know is applicable more or less equally to all digital cameras, is that the camera has no way of knowing what the light is supposed to look like. When I first moved into digital photography in 2001, I found it puzzling that shots taken at sunset didn't really look any warmer than shots taken at noon under cloudy skies. Eventually I realized that the camera was trying to make every shot fit its model of neutral, balanced light. So now I shoot RAW and set WB myself and my sunsets actually look like sunsets.
    http://craigd.smugmug.com

Got bored with digital and went back to film.
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2009
    Your rating query is probably directed at acceptable as a SOOC jpg?

I think the Nikon D300 and D700 are quite acceptable. inside/outside and all. Of course various lighting will render confused WB, and Mercury vapor and other such lights yield green tints and such...but I tend to either light my subject like I want or go with whatever light is there and allow that to reflect what the scene looked like.

I use AWB exclusively...and I find it pretty much can pick a close WB for me...I use LR2 and even if I can set it perfectly, find that that sometimes removes what I saw in the scene.
    tom wise
  • Options
    insanefredinsanefred Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2009
    craig_d wrote:
    Canon 5D Mark II. I shoot RAW all the time, so the camera's opinion on WB is merely a suggestion that I rarely take without modification. Outdoors, particularly at midday, it's often a reasonably good suggestion. Under artificial light, not so much.

The fundamental problem with auto WB, which as far as I know is applicable more or less equally to all digital cameras, is that the camera has no way of knowing what the light is supposed to look like. When I first moved into digital photography in 2001, I found it puzzling that shots taken at sunset didn't really look any warmer than shots taken at noon under cloudy skies. Eventually I realized that the camera was trying to make every shot fit its model of neutral, balanced light. So now I shoot RAW and set WB myself and my sunsets actually look like sunsets.

I take it you rate yours poor?
  • Options
    craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2009
    insanefred wrote:
    I take it you rate yours poor?

No more so than others. White balance is an artistic decision, and therefore not one that a machine will do well at except under limited circumstances.
    http://craigd.smugmug.com

Got bored with digital and went back to film.
  • Options
    Philip GohPhilip Goh Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited October 25, 2009
    I've found my 50D to be good in most instances but horrible under fluorescent lighting. I normally shift the white balance slightly to make it appear warmer as I feel that Canon's AWB does too good a job and makes images a little too cool for my liking.
  • Options
    paddler4paddler4 Registered Users Posts: 976 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2009
    I'm with Craig. The only way to consistently get the WB you want is to shoot raw and take the camera setting as a suggestion (if even that). if the lighting is really complex or odd, us a gray card.
  • Options
    ZarathustraZarathustra Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited October 27, 2009
    Sony a100 (I know, I know...) and the AWB only functions with natural light. Anything else comes out looking like absolute garbage. When I first got it, before I started shooting RAW, I had so many images ruined by looking like somebody had peed in the space between the lens and the filter. Oh, well. At least I've known better for the last couple of years. rolleyes1.gif

These days I just shoot in Daylight mode and fix it in Adobe RAW. Much better!
  • Options
    NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2009
    Fuji S5, as fas as auto WB goes it is the best I have tried, I would say it is 80-90% of the way there. I don't use it that much but when I do it doesn't have the weird results Canon, Olympus, or Nikon can create.
  • Options
    SoCalAlSoCalAl Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited October 27, 2009
    Nikon D300 very good & D3 EXCELLENT! clap.gif
    Almost always use Auto WB.
  • Options
    JovesJoves Registered Users Posts: 200 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2009
    Tried it once on my D300 and, didnt like it at all. I only use my own measured WBs. The overcast was one of the worst from what I could see.
    I shoot therefore Iam.
    http://joves.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    time2smiletime2smile Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2009
    D50 I agree, ah maybe i'll go 50/50
    D90 much, much, much better.
    Ted....
    It's not what you look at that matters: Its what you see!
    Nikon
    http://www.time2smile.smugmug.com