Options

To Eat or Not to Eat?

Crystal-PixelCrystal-Pixel Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
edited October 29, 2009 in Weddings
I started wedding photography about a year ago and I still don't know what is the rules on eating at the weddings? What does everyone else do? Does the bride and groom pay for us to eat too? I feel weird sitting down and eating when I should be taking photos. So far my assistant and I just run to the car for about 10 min and eat food that we brought and come back to do photography again.

I don't want to be rude, but then again am I being rude by not eating? What does everyone else do? Do you ask ahead of time if they are paying for you to eat?:dunno
Crystal Saly

My Smug: www.crystalpixelphotography.com
My Site: www.crystal-pixel.com

"I'm in love with my Canon.. & lovely L Lenses..."

Comments

• Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2009
    My clients are required to feed me. I usually even sit at a table with other vendors, or for smaller weddings, with some random friends/family. Occasionally at the more "higher end classy" weddings all us vendors get kicked to some back room where we are still fed, but I don't like those setups since I always worry I'll miss something.

My reasoning why they need to feed me is because I'm with them allll day and if I don't eat, I'm liable to pass out from lack of food in my system when my body eventually burns through my breakfast. It is a health and safety reason that if I'm there for that long, the one meal is the least they can do to keep me energized and ready to go for them and their next set of shots. Besides, you never miss photos during eating, everyone else is eating too, and no one wants pictures of their mouth being stuffed.

That being said, it's a rare thing that I make it back to the table when cake is served and actually get to eat their cake. Due to the break in time in between food and cake serving, I'm too busy running around when cake comes out.
  • Options
    cj99sicj99si Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2009
    Shima wrote:
    My clients are required to feed me. I usually even sit at a table with other vendors, or for smaller weddings, with some random friends/family. Occasionally at the more "higher end classy" weddings all us vendors get kicked to some back room where we are still fed, but I don't like those setups since I always worry I'll miss something.

My reasoning why they need to feed me is because I'm with them allll day and if I don't eat, I'm liable to pass out from lack of food in my system when my body eventually burns through my breakfast. It is a health and safety reason that if I'm there for that long, the one meal is the least they can do to keep me energized and ready to go for them and their next set of shots. Besides, you never miss photos during eating, everyone else is eating too, and no one wants pictures of their mouth being stuffed.

That being said, it's a rare thing that I make it back to the table when cake is served and actually get to eat their cake. Due to the break in time in between food and cake serving, I'm too busy running around when cake comes out.

Exactly! I always eat, most of the time its forced on me. You have to eat.
  • Options
    entropy07entropy07 Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    edited October 26, 2009
    I once nearly passed out from lack of water + food. I always pack some energy bars + water bottle nowadays, but I have a vendor meal as part of my contract and I ask to be seated in the same room - but not necessarily a guest table, I found that kind of awkward, I prefer a vendor's table if possible :D And I also ask to be served around the same time. Doesn't always happen though. Usually we vendors are served last and have to eat the fastest to make sure we don't miss anything!
    Nikon D700, 50mm f/1.8, 85mm f/1.8, 24-70mm f/2.8, 60mm f/2.8, SB-900
    Site
    Blog
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2009
    I normally don't eat anything. Once in a while I will grab a bite or a piece of cake. Sometimes my assistant will get me a plate and make me eat.
    When they sit down to eat I use that time to shoot the rings.
    It is not unusual for me to take 150 shots of the rings.....I kind of like shooting them lol....
    My main concern is getting plenty of beverages.

I never shoot any pictures of people during dinner, ever.

We never discuss us getting fed with our clients, don't care one way or the other.
    Sometimes they will come find us and tell us to eat, then I grab a quick bite just to be polite.
    If you want to be fed you will want to bring that up when you are setting up your client contracts and make sure they understand you expect food, then they can plan it. It is a perfectly legitimate request.
  • Options
    PrettyKittyPrettyKitty Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited October 26, 2009
    I started wedding photography about a year ago and I still don't know what is the rules on eating at the weddings? What does everyone else do? ne_nau.gif

I'm not a wedding photographer, but I am engaged! As I was interviewing potential wedding photographers last month, ALL of them had a clause in the contract that if they were hired to work for more than 5 hours, then we had to provide them with a meal. Made sense to me! And at our venue, they offer a discounted buffet price for vendors since they don't usually have the time to eat as much! So if I'm paying for it, I hope they eat it! thumb.gif
  • Options
    Test-PilotTest-Pilot Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited October 26, 2009
    Always eat. Wedding food is great... that's why I got into it in the first place! :D
  • Options
    BlurmoreBlurmore Registered Users Posts: 992 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2009
    I've worked with photographers who stipulate that they have a HOT meal, served before the guests. I've worked with photographers who sit down and drink a glass of wine with dinner. I personally will not eat dinner if it is a cold sandwich. But it is expected that if you work all day for someone that you should eat, and be fed...something. Less than 5% of the time I work a wedding do I get the cold sandwich, only 3 times out of many, many, many weddings have I been offered nothing to eat. Eat..srsly
  • Options
    mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2009
    Yeah, you got to eat! I have it in my contract that I will be served "at approximately the same time as the head table" so that I don't miss any of the action. I nearly always sit with the guests and talk with them (network!) and they always want to know about photography. I try to get close to the head table so that I can keep an eye on them but almost always sit with guests. Occasionally I pull the camera off my lap to shoot a spoon vs wine glass inspired kiss or some other spontaneous moment, and as soon as I see the b&g getting up I shove one more bite in my mouth and get back to work. almost never get cake... sniff sniff.

I go through my contract with clients before signing and explain this to them just as I have to you. NOBODY expects you to go all day without eating! As far as cost goes, there is almost always a few people who don't show for dinner so typically there isn't any cost to the b&g. Venues are also aware that there will be vendors there that need to eat.

That all being said I do typically keep some granola bars or similar in my car and if I get hungry I can grab a bite quick. I actually eat like a horse so if there is food out and I'm not shooting I gets' me some!

Matt
    My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
    Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2009
    During the interview process, I mention that I and my second eat in shifts at the same time the B&G are eating. Usually, this get's them to pony up with, "Well, of course you'll eat!" and they provide for my second and me to follow the wedding party through the line (if it's a buffet) or we have our own place setting at a table. If the gig is four hours or less, I don't worry about the food. If it's more than four hours, they either feed me or I go out for food, I bill for the time, and my contract releases me from liability for missing something while I am away. But, I've not yet had to exercise this - they ALWAYS feed my second and me.
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2009
    I always mention they need to feed me in my contract. 10 hours shooting average...one meal is the least you can do while I'm on my feet all day! This past May, after a particularly hot day shooting outside, the catering manager actually DENIED me a meal saying that the clients didn't say anything to him about it. It was at a venue I shoot at routinely, and they've always taken care of me, but I was really offended and, quite frankly, p@#$d off.
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    squiddysquiddy Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2009
    I hate the feeling of eating with a bunch of strangers but i guess it's another networking opportunity :/

I just created a wedding contract with the help of mmmatt [thanks!] and most of the samples I've seen do have verbiage about being fed. Also being fed with the Head Table so that you're done when they are and don't miss anything they do.

I have to get used to thinking this is a job. At my real full time job i get an hour lunch break to feed myself. It's only fair that at a photography JOB i get time to eat too.
  • Options
    CmauCmau Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
    edited October 26, 2009
    So far I've gone with a clause in the contract that states that they either have to provide a meal or give me an hour to go grab something on my own and am not responsible if something interesting happens while I'm away. I chose an hour since you never know how far away that food might be, and my thinking was that if it's explained clearly that if I'm not fed and might not be there for something important, they'll go for feeding me. So far so good. I think it's nicer to have it seem like it's totally their decision rather than force it on them.
  • Options
    edited October 27, 2009
    squiddy wrote:
    I hate the feeling of eating with a bunch of strangers but i guess it's another networking opportunity :/

I just created a wedding contract with the help of mmmatt [thanks!] and most of the samples I've seen do have verbiage about being fed. Also being fed with the Head Table so that you're done when they are and don't miss anything they do.

I have to get used to thinking this is a job. At my real full time job i get an hour lunch break to feed myself. It's only fair that at a photography JOB i get time to eat too.

yeah, well I wouldm't be banking on an hour break! The ability to "Homer Simson" your food is a fairly valuable skill in this business!!

matt
    My Smugmug site

Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • Options
    edited October 27, 2009
    Wow thanks for the responses guys! I guess I better change my contract around to accomidate the eating portion. The first wedding I did, we didn't eat at all and I was pretty out of it by the end of the shoot. Ever since then I've been packing a meal. Does anyone have and eating contact clause that they are willing to share with me? I'd love to get some ideas to add to my contract. Thanks again!!
    Crystal Saly

• Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2009
    I vote for eating... but I have a long standing issue with my plate being left (something interesting happens and I hop up to cover it) and then everything is cleared away by the time I get back. My assistants always love to tease me about it. (The stinkers!) So I have learned that if I am not going to eat it that second put it by the gear bag.
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2009
    I vote for eating... but I have a long standing issue with my plate being left (something interesting happens and I hop up to cover it) and then everything is cleared away by the time I get back. My assistants always love to tease me about it. (The stinkers!) So I have learned that if I am not going to eat it that second put it by the gear bag.
    Another way to handle this is to eat as closely (in time) to when the B&G are eating and to eat in shifts with your second shooter. Eating in shifts, there's always someone available to handle the surprise. Just a thought/practice that seems to be working for me.
  • Options
    MishkaMishka Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2009
    As everyone said...you've got to eat...and I stipulate a meal for me and my assistant in my contract. I don't require a hot meal, just something! Ditto on no one wanting photos of them stuffing their face...

One of the nice things about doing weddings in the Western Pennsylvania area is the local tradition of a "cookie table." It's exactly as it sounds--a table (or more!) stacked high with a wide variety of (usually) homemade cookies, bars, and all sorts of goodies. So, if in the off-chance my meal is late in coming, I can usually count on something sweet to revive me!
  • Options
    edited October 28, 2009
    Wow thanks for the responses guys! I guess I better change my contract around to accomidate the eating portion. The first wedding I did, we didn't eat at all and I was pretty out of it by the end of the shoot. Ever since then I've been packing a meal. Does anyone have and eating contact clause that they are willing to share with me? I'd love to get some ideas to add to my contract. Thanks again!!
    This is what I use. Simple and to the point. Feel free to cut n paste if you like it.

<!--[if !supportLists]-->1.<!--[endif]-->Photographer(s) will be allowed to eat a meal with the guests. Photographer(s) should be served at approximately the same time as the head table in an effort to minimize the chance of missing any important moments.<o:p></o:p>
    My Smugmug site

• Options
    edited October 29, 2009
    mmmatt wrote:
    This is what I use. Simple and to the point. Feel free to cut n paste if you like it.

<!--[if !supportLists]-->1.<!--[endif]-->Photographer(s) will be allowed to eat a meal with the guests. Photographer(s) should be served at approximately the same time as the head table in an effort to minimize the chance of missing any important moments.<?xml:namespace prefix = o /><o:p></o:p>

Thanks a bunch Matt! I will look at reworking my contract and add that in for sure :) Thanks again!
    Crystal Saly