Options

Converting Negative Images

DirtyRatDirtyRat Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
edited October 29, 2009 in Finishing School
With digital technology as it is, I wondered if their was a way to photograph a negative and somehow, through software, convert that negative into a picture?

My problem is, a friend gave me some negative "glass" plates. These are turn of the century glass negatives. I laid the glass plates (individually) onto a light table to photograph each one.

Now I have a dozen photos of "negatives". Any chance of turning these back into worthy photos?

Comments

• Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2009
    DirtyRat wrote:
    With digital technology as it is, I wondered if their was a way to photograph a negative and somehow, through software, convert that negative into a picture?

My problem is, a friend gave me some negative "glass" plates. These are turn of the century glass negatives. I laid the glass plates (individually) onto a light table to photograph each one.

Now I have a dozen photos of "negatives". Any chance of turning these back into worthy photos?
    Have an example? headscratch.gif
    Otherwise, what's wrong with PS's "Invert" command?
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2009
    I've scanned large-format (5x4) transparencies in using a flatbed scanner, using the highest resolution possible, and then in the case of negatives, use something like PhotoShop to invert them.

Do you have a flatbed scanner?

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited October 28, 2009
    VueScan and a flat bed scanner are your friend.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2009
    DirtyRat wrote:

Black and white is relatively easy. Invert the negatives in your photo editor of choice, then shape a tone curve to set black and white points and linearize the tones.

With color I have to go with the VueScan suggestion if only because it comes with profiles for many color negative films (since you can't just invert those), but that seems outside the scope of these old glass negatives.
  • Options
    DirtyRatDirtyRat Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited October 29, 2009
    Many Thanks
    colourbox wrote:
    Black and white is relatively easy. Invert the negatives in your photo editor of choice, then shape a tone curve to set black and white points and linearize the tones.

With color I have to go with the VueScan suggestion if only because it comes with profiles for many color negative films (since you can't just invert those), but that seems outside the scope of these old glass negatives.

Paint Shop Pro fixed 'em right up, with the "Negative" button! Guess this means I need to "learn" my software!!