Options

Two early edits from Sunday...

jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
edited October 29, 2009 in Weddings
I had a super busy weekend shooting personal stuff Friday and Saturday and then met with this gal on Sunday. We got some good stuff in some sweet light. Ill share more as the editing gets done....maybe later this week.

1-Climbing into the magnolia tree was her idea......I guess it works....sorta?:dunno
693968782_yucJB-M-1.jpg

2-
693968025_dqenL-L-3.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2009
    Really like that first one, Jeff! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited October 27, 2009
    Idlewild wrote:
    Really like that first one, Jeff! thumb.gif

Thanks.....It was the toughest shot of the afternoon for several reasons....

Im not sure Im sold on it, but Im positive she will love it.

Thanks for weighing in!thumb.gif
  • Options
    tenoverthenosetenoverthenose Registered Users Posts: 815 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2009
    Really digging the first one. Not sure about the perspective on her face in the second.
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2009
    Hi Jeff! :)

I really like most of #1. I like the dappled sunlight in the bg, yet you managed some really sweet, even light on her. I like the desaturated/vintage processing, goes really well with her skin tone and the dress. Not super crazy about the "down the front of the dress" angle, as well as how the veil bunched up behind (on top of?) her head. But those are MiNOR nits compared to how well composed, lit and processed this shot is. Great job!!!

The second is nice....maybe upping the exposure a bit? Not sure what's missing here.
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    edited October 27, 2009
    urbanaries wrote:
    Hi Jeff! :)

I really like most of #1. I like the dappled sunlight in the bg, yet you managed some really sweet, even light on her. I like the desaturated/vintage processing, goes really well with her skin tone and the dress. Not super crazy about the "down the front of the dress" angle, as well as how the veil bunched up behind (on top of?) her head. But those are MiNOR nits compared to how well composed, lit and processed this shot is. Great job!!!

The second is nice....maybe upping the exposure a bit? Not sure what's missing here.

Well you certainly made note of most all of what was difficult about #1. (Smarty pants!rolleyes1.gif )

She had spotted the ancient magnolia tree while we were shooting a half a block away and said she wanted to sit in it for a shot.headscratch.gif .....Anyway....It was in direct line of sight of the sun...with no buildings to the west for several miles and there was a LOT of sun pouring through behind her. With her mom standing in just the right spot though (and the trunk of the tree behind her also)she could block the most of it...and with my umbrella held aloft she could get it all. THAT....though....left me without an umbrella to shoot the flash through. I was on a ladder and after scooting the lightstand around a bit I eventually had a placement that would line up for my STE2 to "see" it and fire.....but the shadows were just too strong....and I was already at -3FEC. I was about to give up and move on to a new location and realized my lightsphere was in the bag.....and it softened things up just enough to be acceptable. We fought with the top the entire time she was in the tree.....tugging it up for every shot.....the veil......well...it is what it is.....as it was digging into her head......mwink.gif . Had I been in my truck I woulda had any number of things on hand to block light, but I had taken my daughters beetle since it was such a pleasant day....and I was travelling light.rolleyes1.gif

The second shot was natural light with the 50mmF1.4. The original file is much lower in contrast than this version. It does look okay with the exposure upped a bit more....and maybe I need to let some of the highlights go to get there......and let it go high key. It looked pretty good in a monotone as well....so I could also do a version in BW. Im still on the fence with it.

Thanks for looking....and commenting!thumb.gif
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2009
    Hey Jeff! Lovely photos! Is this the bride for your big wedding this winter?

For some reason the angle in both seems to make her look like she is 13 years old. Of course she is likely to be very young, but for some reason (for me) the "from above" angle makes her seem younger than she is.

I can't wait to see more from this set, so get a move on with that editing.:poke

Yay for Jeff back in the land of the living, posting, grinners!
  • Options
    sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2009
    I'm impressed that you pulled this off. Sometimes it's impossible to capture the client's vision, but you really went to great lengths to give her the shot she wanted. I doubt she will see any flaws in this. She looks sweet and lovely.

I can't wait to see more!

Caroline
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2009
    Your processing in that first one is beyond praise - there's a caramel quality to it that enhances the dress and her skin tones, and really elevates it to something very special.

My problem with the pose is that she looks uncomfortable, like she's pulling her head and neck away from the tree - it's not a dealbreaker by any stretch of the imagination, but I suspect that's one of the things you don't like about it. Perhaps cloning away or somehow manipulating the pearls hanging down at the back of her neck so they don't call attention to themselves might minimise the sense of "fighting gravity"?

I'm sure she will love it regardless of photographers' nitpicking - as always, it's a lovely shot that captures serenity and beauty - seems to be your trademark thumb.gif
  • Options
    Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2009
    I have to ditto the rest on number one...really nice. I like the pose...and the post processing. I think you are lucky that she wanted to get into the tree.

Thanks for sharing...looking forward to the rest of the shoot.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • Options
    edited October 29, 2009
    Hey Jeff! Lovely photos! Is this the bride for your big wedding this winter?

For some reason the angle in both seems to make her look like she is 13 years old. Of course she is likely to be very young, but for some reason (for me) the "from above" angle makes her seem younger than she is.

I can't wait to see more from this set, so get a move on with that editing.:poke

Yay for Jeff back in the land of the living, posting, grinners!

Hey Heather....Thanks for commenting.

FWIW she is indeed pretty young......but at my age.....I could say the same for you...rolleyes1.gif . I hadnt thought about the camera angle accentuating the fact though.

Yes this is my big deal for the winter. A little over a month til D-Day....eek7.gif

Im waiting for her to sift through the proofs before further edits...but Ill be sure to share later!:D

Take care!
  • Options
    edited October 29, 2009
    I'm impressed that you pulled this off. Sometimes it's impossible to capture the client's vision, but you really went to great lengths to give her the shot she wanted. I doubt she will see any flaws in this. She looks sweet and lovely.

I can't wait to see more!

Caroline

You are so right!

I have had VERY little success in getting something pleasing from an on the whim request. This situation was no different than past ones....horrible light really, but we were able to eventually work through the mess of it and get something presentable. THAT was the success!

Thanks for commenting.thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited October 29, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    Your processing in that first one is beyond praise - there's a caramel quality to it that enhances the dress and her skin tones, and really elevates it to something very special.

My problem with the pose is that she looks uncomfortable, like she's pulling her head and neck away from the tree - it's not a dealbreaker by any stretch of the imagination, but I suspect that's one of the things you don't like about it. Perhaps cloning away or somehow manipulating the pearls hanging down at the back of her neck so they don't call attention to themselves might minimise the sense of "fighting gravity"?

I'm sure she will love it regardless of photographers' nitpicking - as always, it's a lovely shot that captures serenity and beauty - seems to be your trademark thumb.gif

She swore she was comfortable.....ne_nau.gif

I actually had her change position slightly a few times but it only went from this to worse. I think some of what you see may be due to the angle of the tiara which seemed to fit that way. Her mother made the entire headpiece. I....of course....loved it because it appeared to be 30 or so years old....at least.

Thanks for your kind remarks.
  • Options
    edited October 29, 2009
    Ed911 wrote:
    I have to ditto the rest on number one...really nice. I like the pose...and the post processing. I think you are lucky that she wanted to get into the tree.

Thanks for sharing...looking forward to the rest of the shoot.

Yup....it's tough sometimes to get a bride out in her dress like this before the big day sometimes. This gal had bought a dress second hand, and told me "we can do the bridals as soon as my mom gets it cleaned". "Noooooooo" I told her, "wait until AFTER the bridals to get it cleaned!". She was laying on a white sheet over the branch, and we kept it between her and Earth as much as possible anyway, but at least we werent obsessing about keeping it pristine.

I appreciate you taking the time to comment Ed, have a nice day.thumb.gif