edited October 30, 2009 in Street and Documentary
Thanks for looking...

694788609_4yB7A-L.jpg
Travis

Comments

• Options
    thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2009
    It seems that viewing activity has been low the last few days so I'd like to give this one another shot.
    Travis
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2009
    thoth wrote:
    It seems that viewing activity has been low the last few days so I'd like to give this one another shot.

When you're ready for a cold shower, give me a shout. rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    edited October 29, 2009
    bdcolen wrote:
    When you're ready for a cold shower, give me a shout. rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
    rolleyes1.gif I guess you can't win em' all... or half... or a quarter. How's that saying go again? :D
    Travis
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2009
    thoth wrote:
    rolleyes1.gif I guess you can't win em' all... or half... or a quarter. How's that saying go again? :D

You win plenty! But this one - for me - just doesn't come together. It took me a while to even figure out what was going on.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    edited October 29, 2009
    bdcolen wrote:
    You win plenty! But this one - for me - just doesn't come together. It took me a while to even figure out what was going on.
    Haha, fair enough. Thanks B.D.

Speaking of winning... I recently received my very first print from SmugMug. I had a metallic 8x10 printed of the runner in this thread and it simply blew me away! I appreciate the encouragement you and everyone else provided in that thread! Thanks!
    Travis
  • Options
    tortillatorturetortillatorture Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2009
    thoth wrote:
    I recently received my very first print
    wonderful feeling isnt it? :D
  • Options
    edited October 29, 2009
    wonderful feeling isnt it? :D
    Nothing better. It took 10 months for the first one. Let's hope it doesn't take that long for the second. :D
    Travis
  • Options
    edited October 29, 2009
    10 month?... oh, we must be talking about something totaly different stuff.
    let me read again.. metallic? ok.. i dont know what that is. does it show the bw-tones much better? is it expensive?
  • Options
    edited October 29, 2009
    10 month?... oh, we must be talking about something totaly different stuff.
    let me read again.. metallic? ok.. i dont know what that is. does it show the bw-tones much better? is it expensive?
    Oh no, the print only took a few days to get. I've been shooting about 10 months and it took nearly that long to get an image I felt compelled to print. :D

The metallic prints have a silvery base instead of white. I've not seen a color example, though I know a lot of folks use it for that. What you end up with is a very metallic (can I be more redundant? :D) image that has an almost 3D feel to it. In my example, when viewed with an oblique light source, the runner appears to be almost lifted off the image. It is extremely cool. thumb.gif

It's a little more expensive than a standard print but not much. I think the 8 x 10 was a little over $3.
    Travis
  • Options
    edited October 29, 2009
    ah:D i thought 10 month delivery time sounded a bit extreem.
  • Options
    edited October 29, 2009
    ah:D i thought 10 month delivery time sounded a bit extreem.
    Yeah, that'd have to be a damn good print! bowdown.gif
    Travis
  • Options
    edited October 29, 2009
    lol:)
  • Options
    rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2009
    thoth wrote:

Speaking of winning... I recently received my very first print from SmugMug. I had a metallic 8x10 printed of the runner in this thread and it simply blew me away! I appreciate the encouragement you and everyone else provided in that thread! Thanks!

I just received my first metallic print and am quite impressed with it. It was $3.95 preshipping. The people do "pop" some. The hardwood floor looks gold plated and the back grey wall looks like construction was metal.

But to bring you back on track, I do like your photo. It did take me a few secs to figure out that this was a carnival game. Then it fell into place cuz you captured it perfectly. He was making his pitch for what is a deceptively difficult game and the people were just ignoring him.

Thanks for posting.
  • Options
    edited October 29, 2009
    rainbow wrote:
    I just received my first metallic print and am quite impressed with it. It was $3.95 preshipping. The people do "pop" some. The hardwood floor looks gold plated and the back grey wall looks like construction was metal.

But to bring you back on track, I do like your photo. It did take me a few secs to figure out that this was a carnival game. Then it fell into place cuz you captured it perfectly. He was making his pitch for what is a deceptively difficult game and the people were just ignoring him.

Thanks for posting.
    Thanks for the comments, Rainbow. I'm glad you liked the photo. thumb.gif
    Travis
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2009
    Why doesn't this work?

The background is too busy to work as negative space for what might be an interesting composition of the three people. There isn't enough context to tell an actual story. So in the end it doesn't work as either an abstract composition or a story. The best images are both.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited October 30, 2009
    rutt wrote:
    Why doesn't this work?

The background is too busy to work as negative space for what might be an interesting composition of the three people. There isn't enough context to tell an actual story. So in the end it doesn't work as either an abstract composition or a story. The best images are both.
    Thanks for the additional information, Rutt.

I understand that the shot is too busy, and lacks something compositionally, but I didn't expect to hear that the "story" wasn't obvious in this one. I suspected there may not be enough tension between the carnival worker and the women to provide any real relationship, however. Perhaps this is what you and B.D. are referring to?
    Travis