edited February 11, 2010 in Street and Documentary
Keeping The Peace.

d209c862bef841289750282e28954ad6

Nikkor 70-300 @ 300
1/8th sec, hand-held
f 5.6
ISO 800
manual mode
Edited in ACR of PSE7 (B&W conversion that accentuated the noise).

At the time of shooting, the goal for this photo was to post in this forum... Would've LOVED to get closer in for shots of what was all goin' down, but you'll half to settle with this because it was as close as I could get - What you see is the story.

Thanks for looking/commenting. :thumb

Comments

• Options
    Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2009
    I'm not quite sure what we're seeing here. Obviously there are the police-cars, but I can't make out what is going down… The chap looking towards the camera looks just like a guy I played in a band with, but he lives in NH, and isn't a Mountie (at least not when I last knew him)

Well, a bit far away to get any meaningful detail… …waiting for the donuts? ne_nau.gif

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • Options
    sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2009
    I like it. I happen to like cops. But before it was finished loading, it briefly looked like a pano - I liked that even better.
  • Options
    D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2009
    Wil Davis wrote:
    Well, a bit far away to get any meaningful detail… …waiting for the donuts? ne_nau.gif

- Wil

You've nailed the story; the scene incites curiosity.... Just what it is they're up to, we can't learn.
  • Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2009
    I like it. The lights under the white car really add the 'pop' to this photo. Just lights it all up thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited October 28, 2009
    Everybody; Thank-you for your comments. thumb.gif
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2009
    I'm sure I see a rabbit, Buggsy... :D

I like it - I want to know more about what's going on, and I like the high contrast-yet-slightly-murky feel to it.
  • Options
    edited October 29, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    I'm sure I see a rabbit, Buggsy... :D

I like it - I want to know more about what's going on, and I like the high contrast-yet-slightly-murky feel to it.

Damned pesky creatures. rolleyes1.gif

I'd like to know more also ----> This shot was taken from the top of my driveway. :eek1
    Thanks for your time!
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2009
    D'Buggs wrote:
    Keeping The Peace.
    Nikkor 70-300 @ 300
    1/8th sec, hand-held
    f 5.6
    ISO 800
    manual mode
    Edited in ACR of PSE7 (B&W conversion that accentuated the noise).

At the time of shooting, the goal for this photo was to post in this forum... Would've LOVED to get closer in for shots of what was all goin' down, but you'll half to settle with this because it was as close as I could get - What you see is the story.

Thanks for looking/commenting. thumb.gif

It's an intriguing image; nice composition, and good interest added by the blur of lights....
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2009
    Very nice conversion, in my opinion. I'm intrigued now imagining it as a pano. That might really work. (although gritty as it is, it works already).
    Cave ab homine unius libri
  • Options
    edited October 29, 2009
    bdcolen wrote:
    It's an intriguing image; nice composition, and good interest added by the blur of lights....

I hear a "but..." in this crit.
    If so, lemme have it - Straight Up! thumb.gif

Thanks for your time.
  • Options
    edited October 29, 2009
    Justiceiro wrote:
    Very nice conversion, in my opinion. I'm intrigued now imagining it as a pano. That might really work. (although gritty as it is, it works already).

Thanks for your comments, they're appreciated. :D
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2009
    D'Buggs wrote:
    I hear a "but..." in this crit.
    If so, lemme have it - Straight Up! thumb.gif

Thanks for your time.

No but...:D In fact, in a way you've successfully made something out of nothing. There's just enough motion captured, and enough suggestion of a story, for us to really want to know what's going on. And since we can't tell from the image, we'll have to make up our own stories. clap.gifclap.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    edited October 30, 2009
    bdcolen wrote:
    No but...:D In fact, in a way you've successfully made something out of nothing. There's just enough motion captured, and enough suggestion of a story, for us to really want to know what's going on. And since we can't tell from the image, we'll have to make up our own stories. clap.gifclap.gif

It's as though 'The Man' (BD) was in my head at time of capture... :yikes

The scene didn't afford any more details that what's imaged. The houses on this semi-rural road are all set back a good 100-150 ft, And being an neighbourhhood that's established itself in the earlierish 70's, the trees that separate these houses from the street are very large. Being dusk, if I were to 'go long', there would've been a lot of empty detail in the photo. WTS, if I had my wide-angle with me and gone wide, I *think* I would've captured a nice photo as well, but, it wouldn't have told more of the story either. It would have contained a neat looking skyline amoungst all them large, dark trees, but no more story. I felt compelled to do what I did.

In a nut shell, here's the story:

For the past 7 or 8 years, our neighbourhood has been transitioning. What has now become 2 city blocks (new cross streets punched in, new subdivisions all aroud us), there are only 2 land-owners that occupy their dwellings; myself and our immediate neighbour opposite of the shot. With the drive to subdivide and develop, pretty much all the other properties have been bought up by either, holding Co's or developers. Subsequently, they are all rented out and that rent is astronomically HIGH - Basically due too owners being taxed for "what could be there", instead of, what actually is... If you own 10 acres, it's really TOUGH right now.

Anywho, in many of these homes and in order to pay the rent, tennants have become *creative*. According to recent history, this creativeness has run the gamut of, chop-shops, 'funny' greenhouses (Read: grow-opp's) and more recently, meth-labs. For the longest time, it looked as though our authorities pretty much didn't care... Times seem to be changing now as this scene has become more common. All most to the point of being regular and expected.

For me, the photo is bitter sweet but I hope you all enjoy it. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2010
    Just a little update.
    I cropped this shot down-n-out, to a 12x36. A copy now resides on the wall @, "The Shop". :D

New version;

0d5b4885daf248cd8db6404962b21128