Options

Do you buy Warranties on new cameras? If so, which one?

wildviperwildviper Registered Users Posts: 560 Major grins
edited October 31, 2009 in Cameras
Hi All,

I am in the process of getting a new camera. I have always bought the Best Buy warranty, but now I am not sure since they have changed the rules a bit(No Lemon rule is out and accidental damage is out too).

If you buy a warranty, is there a third party vendor that you have used or heard of that is good?

Mainly looking for protection from damage to the camera, not accidental or anything...just in case it goes bad for some unknown reasons.

Any horror stories to ensure I stay away from a certain company?
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
WildViper
From Nikon D70s > Nikon D300s & D700
Nikon 50/1.8, Tamron 28-75/2.8 1st gen, Nikkor 12-24/4, Nikkor 70-200/2.8 ED VR, SB600, SB900, SB-26 and Gitzo 2 Series Carbon Fiber with Kirk Ballhead

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2009
    I have purchased a Mack warranty for evey new piece of equipment I can......if bought off ebay I purchase a Square Trade Warranty......so far I have not had to use any of them.......but it gives me more piece of mind......I have done this for personal equipment as well as any pro equipment I buy.............as well as total coverage insurance...............

As for Lemon coverage.....you need to check your local consumer laws....they are different from state to state and sometimes from county to county....since it is usually a division of the DISTRICT ATTORNEY's office that handles the consumer protection laws........Last I knew here,,,,,,if you got 3 bad, defective copies of the same item it would be declared a lemon and you had the right to demand and recieve a refund even if the store has a no refund policy.........I have had to ask to use such a retailer phone to make a call to the DA's office here....the Manager immediately cut my call short and refunded the money.....before I left his phone rang and he was trying to explain why a call came in the DA's office and was hung up as they answered............
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2009
    If you're like a lot of people that buy the newest thing out there, I don't think you need to extent it.
    After a year or so, you buy a new camera, with a new one year warranty, and sell the used one.

Me, I have insurance on my gear, so if I drop it, it will get replaced.
    Like Art, I've never had to use it thus far.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • Options
    craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2009
    I bought the Best Buy extended warranty for my laptop just for the convenience of being able to take it to the local store instead of shipping it off to Sony in the event of a problem.

For camera equipment, I don't buy extended or third-party warranties. I'm more worried about theft than failure, because I've actually never had a Canon camera or lens fail.
    http://craigd.smugmug.com

Got bored with digital and went back to film.
  • Options
    edited October 29, 2009
    I intend to keep my new purchase at least another 4 years...so I want to make sure if something goes wrong, I can have it fixed. I am planning on getting the 7D and thus $1,800 is a lot of money.

I have had good luck with Best Buy warranties(bought for everything I buy ffrom them), but with the new rule changes, I am more concerned. For example, now, the CSRs are specifically saying that.."it can take a while to get something fixed" and also, that replacement is ONLY upon their discretion.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    WildViper
    Nikon 50/1.8, Tamron 28-75/2.8 1st gen, Nikkor 12-24/4, Nikkor 70-200/2.8 ED VR, SB600, SB900, SB-26 and Gitzo 2 Series Carbon Fiber with Kirk Ballhead
  • Options
    rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2009
    Seymore wrote:
    IMPO the warranty offered by many is money thrown away. If it gives you peace of mind... well...

If my NEW camera (only ever bought 2 cams new) makes it thru the manuf warranty period, I can only expect that it's good to go for some time to come. From my time (20+ years) in the IT/puter world... I found that if an electronic item is going to fail, it's usually going to happen in the first 90-180 days (or so).

As a home owner, I have full coverage (thru an additional rider) on my home policy to cover ALL my gear. For me it covers fire, theft, flood and most acts of God... but not my own stupidity. I think we put $40-50/yr on this thru USAA, but I'd really only be worried about replacement value after the first year. So I put my assurance that my gear is covered and can deal with one insurer for everything. Also be aware that if are a renter, your equipment can usually be covered under a renters policy thru an additional rider. YMMV per your insurer...

Once again, this is a perfect example to consult your own insurance agent, and READ YOUR POLICY YOURSELF!!!

Every HO policy that I'm aware of will NOT cover photography equipment (or any other equipment) under a HO policy if it's used for even partial/hobby income.

I didn't see any galleries on your smugsite that offers purchase as an option, but for those that do, that's the intent of income from your photo gear and your claim could be denied due to this.
    Randy
  • Options
    insanefredinsanefred Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2009
    I'd use manufactures warranty for warranty..
    Use insurance for those $%^& up scenios. (I.e. Stolen, dropped, fire, and etc..
  • Options
    JovesJoves Registered Users Posts: 200 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2009
    insanefred wrote:
    I'd use manufactures warranty for warranty..
    Use insurance for those $%^& up scenios. (I.e. Stolen, dropped, fire, and etc..
    I too have insurance but, I also bought the Nikon extended when I purchased my D300, it was realitively cheap for two extra years. Which I do plan on having the camera that long. Insurance is a beautiful thing.
    I shoot therefore Iam.
    http://joves.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2009
    craig_d wrote:
    For camera equipment, I don't buy extended or third-party warranties. I'm more worried about theft than failure, because I've actually never had a Canon camera or lens fail.

same experience here
  • Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2009
    I used to work for Best Buy in the service department. I would not recommend their Performance Service Plans (extended warranties) for digital cameras.

On some models, that don't get repaired but instead replaced, it can work out fine. But most models will be shipped off to service even if they aren't going to be fixed. Then you have to wait for the technician to declare your camera "not worth fixing." This can take weeks. Worse is if they repair it. I've seen folks without cameras for 6-8 weeks while it's off at the service center.

I had a horrific experience with my Sony 828 at one point. Yes, in the end I got a store credit for what I'd paid for it (they no longer sold that model) but I was without a camera for 10 weeks. They sent it back to me twice claiming it was fixed but it wouldn't even power on.

I'd vote against extended warranties in general. I suppose if you want one make sure that it replaces, not repairs, the item when something goes wrong. Also make sure that the cost of the warranty is a reasonable percentage of the item's cost.

I'm told that if you'll just take every dollar you'd ever spend on extended warranties and put it in a special savings account for replacing or repairing your broken electronics you'll come out ahead over the course of your life. I've never tried it, but I normally don't keep my stuff much beyond the manufacturer's warranty anyway.
  • Options
    edited October 30, 2009
    A lot of credit cards and some debit cards (mine does) doubles the original manufactures warranty period. Check you cards, and keep this info together for this purpose. And, it's free! ~ well, no other blatant fees for it rolleyes1.gif
    Randy
  • Options
    edited October 30, 2009
    Pupator wrote:
    I used to work for Best Buy in the service department. I would not recommend their Performance Service Plans (extended warranties) for digital cameras.

To be fair, I will list my experience with Best Buy warranties. I have bought extended warranties on everything that I buy from here that is worth over $500. I have two experiences where my cameras have failed me. Both times, I did have to wait (about 2 weeks) and it has come back that it can't be fixed. I did get store credit for what I paid for it both times without any hassle. Now, they don't offer any loaners and that kind of sucks, but hey, I can't imagine sending it in to Canon/Nikon and they giving me a loaner.

I have been very HAPPY with the Best Buy warranties. They have taken care of me.

The reason for my post is because they seem to have changed some rules: No accidental coverage and no lemon warranty. The lemon warranty is not the one based on State. It is that if the equipment is fixed for 3 times for the same problem, it will be replaced by them....even after the manufacturer warranty is done. State statutes don't go this far I think.
    I'm told that if you'll just take every dollar you'd ever spend on extended warranties and put it in a special savings account for replacing or repairing your broken electronics you'll come out ahead over the course of your life. I've never tried it, but I normally don't keep my stuff much beyond the manufacturer's warranty anyway.

I am not sure if that calculation would work out. My new purchase of the Canon 7D cost me $2K including taxes. BB wants $350 for 4 years of warranty. If I take the $350 and try to make it grow to $2000, I would need a return of 44% annually! headscratch.gif

Also, I have checked with my insurance agent(Farmers) and they DO NOT cover my photo equipment...I have to get a commercial insurance and that is not for malfunction...just theft, fire damage and so on.

I would go with Best Buy had they not changed the rules....that is why I am looking at Mack and see if there is any other.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    WildViper
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2009
    rwells wrote:
    Once again, this is a perfect example to consult your own insurance agent, and READ YOUR POLICY YOURSELF!!!

Every HO policy that I'm aware of will NOT cover photography equipment (or any other equipment) under a HO policy if it's used for even partial/hobby income.

I didn't see any galleries on your smugsite that offers purchase as an option, but for those that do, that's the intent of income from your photo gear and your claim could be denied due to this.

If you inform your agent you have photography equipment then it will be insured with a deductible for certain addition premium. For me I itemized my equipment. The premium goes up but they pay for replacement with no deductible and like the previous poster mentioned..it does not cover your own stupidity. If you drop it then too bad..but if the camera strap unraveled you are good. If you knock off a table then too bad..if your dog or a gust of wind knowcks it off a table then you are covered. Talk to your agent to see what is best for you.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    edited October 30, 2009
    Qarik wrote:
    If you inform your agent you have photography equipment then it will be insured with a deductible for certain addition premium. For me I itemized my equipment. The premium goes up but they pay for replacement with no deductible and like the previous poster mentioned..it does not cover your own stupidity. If you drop it then too bad..but if the camera strap unraveled you are good. If you knock off a table then too bad..if your dog or a gust of wind knowcks it off a table then you are covered. Talk to your agent to see what is best for you.

A HO will NOT cover photo equipment if you are trying to make money from it (business purposes). This includes hobby income. You offer pictures for sale on your site, that means you are using your photo equipment for business purposes.

You might can "get away" with filing a claim, but that's what it will be. Read your policy carefully!!!
    Randy
  • Options
    edited October 30, 2009
    rwells wrote:
    A HO will NOT cover photo equipment if you are trying to make money from it (business purposes). This includes hobby income. You offer pictures for sale on your site, that means you are using your photo equipment for business purposes.

You might can "get away" with filing a claim, but that's what it will be. Read your policy carefully!!!

He is right. I have spoken with my agent at length. Few things will happen if you file a claim and IF it is paid. Your HO is going to go up and once things go up in prices, they don't tend to come down with the insurance industry.

Do you really want to continue paying higher HO premiums???? Might as well buy the $200-$350 warranty and not worry about it. That's my $0.02.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    WildViper
  • Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2009
    wildviper wrote:
    I am not sure if that calculation would work out. My new purchase of the Canon 7D cost me $2K including taxes. BB wants $350 for 4 years of warranty. If I take the $350 and try to make it grow to $2000, I would need a return of 44% annually! headscratch.gif

Just to clarify this part: the idea is not that you'll get a 44% return. It's that not everything you own will break. If you buy a TV and stick the service plan money in an account AND a digital camera and put that service plan money in an account, and your washer and dryer, and your computer, etc...the idea is that over the course of your lifetime you would have used less money replacing broken gadgets (that would have been covered by the extended warranty) than if you had bought all those warranties.

When I was a Best Buy employee I bought the service plan on almost everything. Several times it came in handy for me and I had many positive experiences. But now, at retail price, the cost of the warranty is far too high a % of the item cost for it to be (usually) justified.

Also, your experience of waiting 2 weeks before you got a store credit is normal, and that's not so bad. BUT if they had determined that your camera could have been fixed it would be another 2+ weeks waiting for it to be fixed and shipped back to you. I know people who went 3+ months without cameras and 5+ months without computers because the repair facility was waiting on parts. For each of those horror stories however, there are 20 people who have good warranty/repair stories. Of course, for each of those 20, there are about 50 who buy the warranty and never end up needing to use it at all. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited October 30, 2009
    rwells wrote:

right..to an extent. He did ask me if I was pro..I said I do make some money but it is not my primary source. A few bucks. He said "okay, as long as it is not your primary source of income". I am not quite sure if he is being loose with his terms to get my business or not. anyway talk to your agent and explain your situation.
    D700, D600
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
  • Options
    edited October 30, 2009
    Qarik wrote:
    right..to an extent. He did ask me if I was pro..I said I do make some money but it is not my primary source. A few bucks. He said "okay, as long as it is not your primary source of income". I am not quite sure if he is being loose with his terms to get my business or not. anyway talk to your agent and explain your situation.

Qarik,

I'm not telling what to do or not, I just happen to know that this is NOT CORRECT. It may be what your Agent thinks is correct, but READ YOUR POLICY!

I just don't want other people to think this is correct info and get in trouble do to that.

I could give you my background/expertise on this subject, but suffice to say, READ YOUR POLICY, it's in there literally in black & white, and if you don't understand it completely, call the Underwriting Department of your insurance carrier.

Take care thumb.gif
    Randy
  • Options
    edited October 30, 2009
    rwells wrote:
    Qarik,

I'm not telling what to do or not, I just happen to know that this is NOT CORRECT. It may be what your Agent thinks is correct, but READ YOUR POLICY!

I just don't want other people to think this is correct info and get in trouble do to that.

I could give you my background/expertise on this subject, but suffice to say, READ YOUR POLICY, it's in there literally in black & white, and if you don't understand it completely, call the Underwriting Department of your insurance carrier.

Take care thumb.gif

fair enough!
    D700, D600
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
  • Options
    edited October 30, 2009
    Pupator wrote:
    Just to clarify this part: the idea is not that you'll get a 44% return. It's that not everything you own will break. If you buy a TV and stick the service plan money in an account AND a digital camera and put that service plan money in an account, and your washer and dryer, and your computer, etc...the idea is that over the course of your lifetime you would have used less money replacing broken gadgets (that would have been covered by the extended warranty) than if you had bought all those warranties.

When I was a Best Buy employee I bought the service plan on almost everything. Several times it came in handy for me and I had many positive experiences. But now, at retail price, the cost of the warranty is far too high a % of the item cost for it to be (usually) justified.

Also, your experience of waiting 2 weeks before you got a store credit is normal, and that's not so bad. BUT if they had determined that your camera could have been fixed it would be another 2+ weeks waiting for it to be fixed and shipped back to you. I know people who went 3+ months without cameras and 5+ months without computers because the repair facility was waiting on parts. For each of those horror stories however, there are 20 people who have good warranty/repair stories. Of course, for each of those 20, there are about 50 who buy the warranty and never end up needing to use it at all. ne_nau.gif

That's fine.

Now, I just wanted to share my research and it may help someone in future.

I checked with my agent again for HO and even if they do cover it, the premiums will go up after I do a claim. That to me is NOT worth it.

I checked around and seems like Mack Warranties are ok. From what I have read now, heard from another friend, spoken to 7 different camera store persons that sell the warranty, and talked to a couple of "techs"....they are ok to deal with.

You may, or may not experience delays...and that is up for grabs. For a $2,000 item for me, I don't mind waiting and having it fixed than having to pay for it myself.

If I have a job that needs to be done, I can alway rent a camera for $100 or so.

My purchase

Best Buy quote me about $350 to $379 for 4 years. No accidental protection and no lemon(read above).

I purchased the Mack 3 year Diamond warranty that covers the following:

The 3 Year Diamond will provide you with much more than any other service contract has to offer. Coverage Summary:
    · Manufacturer Defects
    · Impact Damage
    · Unintentional Spills (liquid damages)
    · Sand/Grit Damage
    · Accidental and Unintentional Abuse
    · Mechanical Malfunctions
    · Normal and Abnormal Wear and Tear
    · 2 Free CCD Cleaning for the LIfe of the Contract
    · 1 Free Video Head Cleaning Per Year for the Life of the Contract
    · Product Replacement After 3 Consecutive Repairs for the Same Reason
    · Valid only in the U.S.A. and Canada

I purchased it from Adoroma for $165 and free shipping. Calling around local camera shops, they were all selling this for upwards of $240.

You can buy from Amazon too, but they charge a shipping cost of $10!!!! and it is sold by Adorama anyways. Just a FYI.

I will sleep better knowing that I am covered for $165! :)
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    WildViper
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2009
    rwells wrote:

it has been this way for well ovr 30 yrs that I can vouch for.....I had to replace a cam that was stolen...supposedly covered on a rider on my HO policy....I had to pay extra for that rider.....cam got stolen and because I had been shooting a concert the Home Office declared I was a FREELANCER and would have used my pics to make money....at that time I had not even given thought to doing Photos as a Profession and the Insurance company would not refund the money paid for the rider either my only recourse was to complain to the BBB.....which did no good.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    rpcrowerpcrowe Registered Users Posts: 733 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2009
    Mack Warranty
    I purchased a Mack warranty for a DVD recorder/player and the unit failed; close to the end of the warranty.

I attempted to submit for repair via the Mack web site but, the Mack site stated that I did not have the serial number of the unit correct. I did have the policy number correct. I am sure that I registered the correct serial number.

I attempted to contact Mack to remedy this situation online with no returns to my email.

I attempted to telephone Mack but, could never get a live person and the selection choices did not fit my needs.

I wrote Mack by snail mail and never got a reply.

This might be an isolated case but, I will never buy a Mack warranty again. IMO, an insurance company that will not respond to a problem is worthless.

A different but, somewhat related subject:

I would like to find a policy separate from my home owners insurance which would insure my camera gear against loss. My home owners policy will cover loss of photo gear with no value limit. That policy would only be used if all my camera gear was gone because I have a $500 deductible and if I did make a claim, my already expensive policy would go up drastically. If all my gear was gone, very likely either my home went up in flames or there was a major robbery and a lot more than camera gear would be gone.

I would like a separate policy that I could make a claim on if my camera gear was stolen and which would have a lower deductible (my $500 deductible on the home insurance keeps the expensive policy at a lower cost) and which would not impact my home policy if I did make a claim.