Options

Fakes & Phony's

squiddysquiddy Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
edited October 30, 2009 in Mind Your Own Business
I am very suspicious of someone i know being a complete fake... i can see a HUGE difference in work that s/he posts and it bothers me to no end.

It is doubtful I will do anything but this just really urks me and i wish i knew the truth!

Anybody else feel this way?

Comments

• Options
    James HJames H Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited October 29, 2009
    squiddy wrote:
    I am very suspicious of someone i know being a complete fake... i can see a HUGE difference in work that s/he posts and it bothers me to no end.

It is doubtful I will do anything but this just really urks me and i wish i knew the truth!

Not sure I follow. What is fake?
    Are you saying that someone's images are are not consistent - with some being top notch and others less so? If that's the case, then I think it is quite natural. No one shoots great images all the time. Some people only show their absolute best, while keeping all the cruft safely hidden away. Others, myself included, will show a little bit of everything - good, bad, and ugly. Trust me, there is often a very large difference between the good and the bad.

If that's not what you're getting at, then I'm sort of clueless. Unless you're suspicious that they are claiming images which are not their own??ne_nau.gif
    --James

Homepage - James Hill Photography

• Options
    edited October 29, 2009
    James H wrote:

If that's not what you're getting at, then I'm sort of clueless. Unless you're suspicious that they are claiming images which are not their own??ne_nau.gif

Yes i think this clears it up a little more. I know all people have a range of photos that can be bad lighting, wrong timing, etc etc. I guess it's an almost "you have to see it to know" situation. I won't post out of respect for that person but it's just crazy to me to believe the photos they have in their facebook profile [and their online gallery] are their own. It's a waaaaay different look, syle, etc.
  • Options
    James HJames H Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited October 30, 2009
    squiddy wrote:
    I won't post out of respect for that person but it's just crazy to me to believe the photos they have in their facebook profile [and their online gallery] are their own. It's a waaaaay different look, syle, etc.
    Yeah, if it's true, I can see where that can be very frustrating. Unfortunately, it's not all that uncommon. Eventually though, people like that either get bored with the charade, or they slip up and find themselves publicly outed. Between EXIF info, tineye.com, and the millions of eyeballs on the web, something's eventually going to reveal them as a fraud.

Crazier things can and do happen. Here's one for you... How about someone who apparently signs up for numerous trial accounts, (talking multiple dozens) just so they can leave hundreds of glowing comments under the mediocre images in their community galleries?! (apparently in an effort to boost their own ego as well as their overall image ranking) I'm pretty sure I've seen that. After all, it is extremely difficult to write that many comments without exposing oneself through uncommon grammar and language patterns. The person denied any foul play when questioned about the suspicious comments, but suddenly the "friends" stopped commenting, and their accounts were closed in quick succession. Odd, that. headscratch.gif
    --James

Homepage - James Hill Photography

• Options
    edited October 30, 2009
    Ugh people seriously do that?

Yeah this person is not on Smug so the EXIF info isn't outted. I don't see all the images s/he posts on Facebook on their website so maybe since it's a social networking site it's easier to be a fraud.
  • Options
    Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2009
    squiddy wrote:

Keep in mind that in the digital age a lot of people can spray and pray when they pick up their camera. Sometimes they get lucky and sometimes not. The range can be quite wide. Others may go out with a club and get good images and when they go out on their own, they can't remember any of the lessons and get loads of bad shots.

Other people just like to browse the internet and steal what appeals to them.
    Steve

Website