Options

Lightroom Curves Tool question

aguntheragunther Registered Users Posts: 242 Major grins
edited October 31, 2009 in Finishing School
After years of using Photoshop, I tried out the Lightroom 3 Beta. I kind of like the tool, but in ACR I have come accustomed to tweaking the saturation and channel curves, where Lightroom seems to have only 4 Sliders. Am I missing something? Is there a way to tweak the curves in Lightroom too?
I hope this question doesn't sound foolish, I couldn't find the right knobs. Maybe its signs of age showing.:dunno

Comments

• Options
    BinaryFxBinaryFx Registered Users Posts: 707 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2009
    agunther wrote:
    After years of using Photoshop, I tried out the Lightroom 3 Beta. I kind of like the tool, but in ACR I have come accustomed to tweaking the saturation and channel curves, where Lightroom seems to have only 4 Sliders. Am I missing something? Is there a way to tweak the curves in Lightroom too?
    I hope this question doesn't sound foolish, I couldn't find the right knobs. Maybe its signs of age showing.ne_nau.gif

Last time I used ACR the curves were the same as ALR...

A single curve, that affects both luminosity and saturation at the same time, with the hue being "locked".

AFAIK, it is Photoshop that allows separate channel curves, not ACR/ALR (which offer parametric and point interface options to control the single curve). ACR/ALR offer different sliders to affect colour, independently from the curve which is mostly for tone. It is part of the simplified "photographer friendly" design approach of ACR/ALR, although some have been calling for channel curves too, such as can be found in other raw conversion/rendering applications.

Sincerely,

Stephen Marsh

members.ozemail.com.au/~binaryfx
    prepression.blogspot.com
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2009
    agunther wrote:
    I hope this question doesn't sound foolish, I couldn't find the right knobs. Maybe its signs of age showing.ne_nau.gif

It sounds like you never entered Develop mode, to me, and you're using the quick develop sliders.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2009
    The only thing ACR has that Lightroom doesn't, is a point curve. Everything else is there in Develop. Keep flipping panels open.
  • Options
    aguntheragunther Registered Users Posts: 242 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2009
    colourbox wrote:
    The only thing ACR has that Lightroom doesn't, is a point curve. Everything else is there in Develop. Keep flipping panels open.

You nailed it. Exactly what I was looking for. I have gotten very used to using this tool for selective contrast enhancements (e.g. skies). Moving around on the curve in Lightroom only moves the sliders below it or so it seems.

David: Yes I have entered Develop mode.

BinaryFX: Sorry for the confusion, colourbox was able to decipher my meaning.

Thanks for all your answers!!!