Options

Wedding Horror Story

budman101budman101 Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
edited November 2, 2009 in Weddings
Halloween should have been last week for my associate and me. I shoot an occasional wedding for her as assistant camera. About three months ago, in an attempt to negotiate price a couple proudly showed us some Flickr images the groom's uncle had taken of their engagement. Most were not even snapshot quality. Poor lighting, horrible exposure, terrible post processing with Picassa etc....We did not budge on price (both of us do this as a second job for now), but they hired us anyway. At the wedding last weekend, there was this guy with a older entry level camera literally throwing hip checks at both of the photographers to get the shot! This was the uncle. Running around with his pop up flash shooting from 20+ feet away with his kit lens. This occurred during both the ceremony, formals, and reception.
Short of body checking him back what should we have done to get him out of our way? Rude behavior like this has never happened to us before.
www.joemallis.com
"Most time its not the gear that makes the shot"

Comments

• Options
    Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2009
    budman101 wrote:
    Halloween should have been last week for my associate and me. I shoot an occasional wedding for her as assistant camera. About three months ago, in an attempt to negotiate price a couple proudly showed us some Flickr images the groom's uncle had taken of their engagement. Most were not even snapshot quality. Poor lighting, horrible exposure, terrible post processing with Picassa etc....We did not budge on price (both of us do this as a second job for now), but they hired us anyway. At the wedding last weekend, there was this guy with a older entry level camera literally throwing hip checks at both of the photographers to get the shot! This was the uncle. Running around with his pop up flash shooting from 20+ feet away with his kit lens. This occurred during both the ceremony, formals, and reception.
    Short of body checking him back what should we have done to get him out of our way? Rude behavior like this has never happened to us before.

It would have happend EXACTLY once! First, a polite "remove yourself immediately" comment would have been made. If it continued, I would have warned the bride & groom that either he ceases his activity immediately (he's already been warned once, remember) or he is now your primary photographer. At that point I would have made a quick exit and refunded her everything but a retainer....PERIOD!
  • Options
    mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2009
    I would have talked to him, and if no result talked to the bride and if no result taken and delivered a bunch of pictures with the back of his head in the frame, fully expecting to get paid.

Matt
    My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
    Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • Options
    BlurmoreBlurmore Registered Users Posts: 992 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2009
    At 6'1" and 225 I rarely have this issue.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2009
    Only had this happen on a lesser scale....I shoulder shook the intruder while he was pressing the shutter button and got his attnetion asked him to stand no closer to than 20 feet behind or to the side....he jumped in front again and I had a talk right then and there with the bride and her mom..........he was also an uncle and they asked him to leave,,,,,,,found out later he had been hitting the bottle and I received a nice tip in the mail after I delivered the proof book.

Time is money and if you get flustered or just plain Pi**ed off your pics won't be nearly as good.....my recommendations has always been to quash it before it really has time to become a huuuge issue.........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2009
    A similar question arose in another thread, and faced with another photographer getting under my feet I'd have a word with the bride & groom, and I'd draw their attention to my rate sheet:

Performing services as per contract (per hour):

$75 (basic)
    $100 (if you watch)
    $150 (if you help)

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2009
    My contract clearly states that others may take photos so long as they are not in the way and intrusive, he clearly was not behaving as he should have, so I would have had a word w/ the bride and groom, and if no resolution could have been made, I would have told them I could not work under those conditions.
  • Options
    budman101budman101 Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2009
    Thanks for the shared experience. I'll pass your advice on to the principal photographer. I doubt if she would ever take a job from another couple trying to leverage negotiations by flashing up some Flickr images again. I'll also take a look at her contract to check about the exclusive rights clause. She's a recent RIT graduate (and my son's GF) trying to establish a good reputation so I doubt if she would be bold enough to bother the wedding couple. But then again as her assistant I could easily play the 'bad guy' and tell the next 'uncle with a nice camera' to stand back and let us work.
    www.joemallis.com
    "Most time its not the gear that makes the shot"
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2009
    In my interview with the clients, as we go over the contract, I call out the paragraph where it states something to the effect that the photographer can non and will not tolerate either physical or verbal abuse. On first offense, I talk to the offender; on second, the wedding coordinator or B&G if none; third, I pack up my kit and leave. I refund no monies received.

Thankfully, I've not had to enforce even the first part of that - I've not been "abused" in any way at any wedding. But, there's always the first time.

I did, however, have one "uncle" who did not understand the concept of "personal space." I was backing up and accidentally stepped on his foot as I, also accidentally, bumped into him. He crashed to the floor, picked himself up, and apologized.