Options

#36 *WARNING* Very creepy and soon to be crawly

dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
edited November 1, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
I've been trying to get this as creepy as I can and have some ideas for making it crawly as well. I need to first find some crawly things to photograph. Also will have some additions to the background and possibly changes to the lighting.

Do you think I'm on the right track for this challenge? Over Photoshoped? I'm afraid the rest of my ideas for this project are just as bad or worse looking and require more photoshopping.

Thought I'd try and get some feedback before taking it to the next step.

687594277_auJwk-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Aspecto5Aspecto5 Registered Users Posts: 311 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2009
    I think it's definitely on theme. You've already touched on the lighting and background in the future, so the only thing that grabs my attention is the teeth. I can't exactly explain (cuz i'm new at the photoshop stuff) but it looks off for some reason. Not sure what u can do. Maybe when the lighting gets adjusted it might fit better. Great job with the forhead nose though. :D
    Canon 7D Shooter

Nelson Lehner
    Dreamin' of a resolution!:D
  • Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2009
    Aspecto5 wrote:
    I think it's definitely on theme. You've already touched on the lighting and background in the future, so the only thing that grabs my attention is the teeth. I can't exactly explain (cuz i'm new at the photoshop stuff) but it looks off for some reason. Not sure what u can do. Maybe when the lighting gets adjusted it might fit better. Great job with the forhead nose though. :D

Pretty good start--the teeth are distracting though, kind of glow in the dark looking. Can't wait to see what it looks like when you fix the lighting issue/background issue--too much light right now.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    HaliteHalite Registered Users Posts: 467 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2009
    Geez man, you've gone downhill since I saw you in Maine.rolleyes1.gif (Btw, I posted an image of you on Cadillac Mountain in a thread in Landscapes).

Definitely creepy and on a good, scary track. Only thought I have is, "What's the story here?" Why the localized skin condition and red eye on an otherwise well-kempt and healthy visage? Evil breaking through a veneer of niceness? Mask taken off? Horrible experiment gone wrong?

You don't have to address any of those questions to have a good image. I just raise them as possibilities to inspire further development of the horror story you've started here. Good luck.
  • Options
    edited October 22, 2009
    Halite wrote:
    Geez man, you've gone downhill since I saw you in Maine.rolleyes1.gif
    It was the wind on Cadillac Mountain.
  • Options
    AndManAndMan Registered Users Posts: 1,252 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2009
    Pretty good start--the teeth are distracting though, kind of glow in the dark looking. Can't wait to see what it looks like when you fix the lighting issue/background issue--too much light right now.

15524779-Ti.gif
    Peter

www.andmanphotography.com

Facebook Fan Page

"Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment." Ansel Adams
  • Options
    edited October 22, 2009
    Thanks everyone. I'll keep on working with it.
  • Options
    edited October 24, 2009
    Here's another try at fixing the teeth. I'm having trouble finding 'crawly' stuff to photograph right now so not sure where this is going from here.

C&C appreciated.

691060841_3uhcd-L.jpg
  • Options
    ghinsonghinson Registered Users Posts: 933 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2009
    That's creepy. Teeth better. Just for kicks, try a 4x5 crop removing the right part of the current frame?
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2009
    Major creepy, Dave. Good jobrolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2009
    ghinson wrote:
    That's creepy. Teeth better. Just for kicks, try a 4x5 crop removing the right part of the current frame?

15524779-Ti.gif there is something very distracting about the clean cut green shirt--it's just so benign it doesn't go (IMO). I like the candy added to the photo--it has that very scary creepy, nightmare "come here little girl" quality.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    AndManAndMan Registered Users Posts: 1,252 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2009
    there is something very distracting about the clean cut green shirt--it's just so benign it doesn't go (IMO). I like the candy added to the photo--it has that very scary creepy, nightmare "come here little girl" quality.

15524779-Ti.gif
    Peter

www.andmanphotography.com

Facebook Fan Page

"Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment." Ansel Adams
  • Options
    edited October 24, 2009
    Thanks for the comments everyone. They are very helpful. It's a work in progress.
    I started this to help me learn my way around Photoshop a little better. Try some things I haven't used before. I didn't realize I'd be living in it for two weeks, but it's really a great learning project. I'm having fun. Next time I enter one of these though, I'll go more for SOOC!
  • Options
    edited October 31, 2009
    Not much time left to work on this. Yikes! Here's a couple of slightly varied crops. What do you think? Suggestions?

698561376_9GwjD-L.jpg

or a slightly different crop :

698585407_rpodJ-L.jpg
  • Options
    sbargesbarge Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited October 31, 2009
    Wow - so very creepy! Nicely done!
  • Options
    TylwyddTylwydd Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2009
    IMO the last one is the best... I like the tighter crop
    Olympus fan :D : E520 ; ZD 50 mm ; ZD 14-54 mm ; ZD 50-200 mm SWD

http://tylwydd.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    HaliteHalite Registered Users Posts: 467 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2009
    Dude! That's sick. Excellent job with the creepy factor. And the addition of the candy really brings home the menacing story.

The last version is the best IMO.

I just noticed that the candy is artificially flavored. You've gone too far!
  • Options
    edited November 1, 2009
    Thanks everyone for all the input. I'm pretty close to done now, or at least out of time.
    Halite wrote:
    And the addition of the candy really brings home the menacing story.
    Your first C&C made me realize it needed this. Thanks Harry.
  • Options
    sgbotsfordsgbotsford Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited November 1, 2009
    Not sinister.
    The skin texture reminds me of oriented strand board. I start thinking about carpentry projects.

The candy in #2 is a humourous touch, but takes away from the creepy.

Suggestions:

The shirt looks too good, too crisp, too new. I have problems seeing this guy
    at even Wal-Mart.

You aren't using the background enough. One of the reasons that horror movies are dark is that the unknown is more fearsome than the known. "Good Lord deliver us
    from goblins and goulies and things that go bump in the night."

Try lowering contrast and brightness of the image. Put unknown shapes into the background, vague, suggestive, shadowed.
  • Options
    edited November 1, 2009
    Thanks sg. I appreciate the suggestions. I have an update posted in the entry gallery that takes some of these things into account.

I'm running out of time though. Got lots of stuff to do today so am not sure if I'll be making anymore changes to it.