Options

Finally D-E1-cided

marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
edited June 22, 2005 in Cameras
I've just received the good news that the DSLR gear I've ordered is on its way, and should be in my hands next friday. For those who've been following my struggle to find my next camera -and given sound advice-, my final choice might sound weird, but in the end I went for an Olympus E-1, with a 14-54 2.8-3.5 and 50-200 2.8-3.5 lens and a FL-36 flash.

My reasons: weather sealing (I love taking trips to remote places on this earth), dust shaker, Olympus colors, quality of lenses. I'll have to live with the noise at higher ISO's (although those are better than with my DSC-F828), and the 5 megapixels, but the images I've seen coming out of the Olympus had me that much impressed, that I took my chances. Another bet might be the Four Thirds system, but with the recent discounts on this gear, I've not paid that much more than for my Sony which had no system whatsoever, so I took my chances there. The fact that Panasonic is coming along in the 4/3 system helped my take that bet.

Can't wait to get the stuff in my hands, and show you some results. Gotta love new toys!
enjoy being here while getting there

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited June 22, 2005
    marlof wrote:
    I've just received the good news that the DSLR gear I've ordered is on its way, and should be in my hands next friday. For those who've been following my struggle to find my next camera -and given sound advice-, my final choice might sound weird, but in the end I went for an Olympus E-1, with a 14-54 2.8-3.5 and 50-200 2.8-3.5 lens and a FL-36 flash.

My reasons: weather sealing (I love taking trips to remote places on this earth), dust shaker, Olympus colors, quality of lenses. I'll have to live with the noise at higher ISO's (although those are better than with my DSC-F828), and the 5 megapixels, but the images I've seen coming out of the Olympus had me that much impressed, that I took my chances. Another bet might be the Four Thirds system, but with the recent discounts on this gear, I've not paid that much more than for my Sony which had no system whatsoever, so I took my chances there. The fact that Panasonic is coming along in the 4/3 system helped my take that bet.

Can't wait to get the stuff in my hands, and show you some results. Gotta love new toys!
    I am looking forward to seeing a good hands on description of the E-1 system in use in the field and images from the same. Olympus has quite a few nice features. It will be interesting to see the long term success of the 4/3s system also. SO let us see lots of your pictures.thumb.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    robscomputerrobscomputer Registered Users Posts: 326 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2005
    Good choice!thumb.gif

The E1 has a very solid feel, even more with the optional battery grip. This camera doesn't feel like a plastic SLR upgraded into a DSLR but a true ground up DSLR.

Over at my local photo store, K&S in Palo Alto, they had a few very large prints of example photos. I was really impressed with the quality of the E1 example, especially since they compared shots from 8MP and above cameras.

Did you find a good deal on the package? They are selling the E300 with two lens for under $1,000.

Rob
    Enjoying photography since 1980.
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2005
    The E1 has a very solid feel, even more with the optional battery grip.

I didn't go for the battery grip. Coming from a digicam, I found the E-1 big enough as it as, and adding the battery grip added too much for me. I haven't ruled it out as a future option, but that grip doesn't come cheap...
    I was really impressed with the quality of the E1 example, especially since they compared shots from 8MP and above cameras.

Actual images from the E-1 is what sold me in the end. I always liked the E-1, but was scared away by the high ISO noise and the 5 megapixels. Until I started looking at real pictures taken by real E-1s in tons of different situations. They proofed to me that the E-1 can still hold its own in the current medium class (D70s, 20D, 7D).
    Did you find a good deal on the package? They are selling the E300 with two lens for under $1,000.

It depends on what you describe as a good deal. Alas the times that I would have been able to qualify for the student discounts are far behind me, so I had to pay top dollar. When I first looked into the E-1, it went for EUR 1650 with the 14-54 lens. Right now, I got it for EUR 1399 with the 14-54 and FL-36 flash. The 50-200 was EUR 919.

I could have opted for the E300 with 14-45 and 40-150 for EUR 950. Thing is: these lenses are not as fast, and don't have the same build quality (weather sealing) as the 14-54 and 50-200, and the E300 body is not weather sealed. Also, I like the extra reach (up to 400mm in stead of 300mm in 35mm terms that the 50-200 offers). So I decided I wanted the E-1 with the better lenses, even if I had to pay a bit more. If I go for a system, I'd like to get the best available options, as long as I can afford those. Which is why I skipped the 300 2.8, going at EUR 6000. rolleyes1.gif

Next on my list: the 50 2.0 Macro and the EC-14 1.4x extender. First I gotta fill that piggybank again though.
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:
    I am looking forward to seeing a good hands on description of the E-1 system in use in the field and images from the same.

Your wish *will* be granted. :D
  • Options
    amunsieamunsie Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
    edited June 22, 2005
    I'm sure you'll enjoy it!
    I've had my E1 for 18 months and haven't regretted one minute. Nice and solid build with minimal post processing.

Good choice on the first two lenses. You'll be very happy with them. I see that you are looking at the 50mm f2.0 - get it as soon as you can. It is indeed one of the sharpest lenses I've ever used and well worth the price.

I would recommend the EX-25 over the EC-14, however, depending on what you are going to be shooting. The EX-25 works as a nice compliment to the 50mm f2.0 for "super macro" capabilities, but you'll really love it when combined with the 50-200 zoom. It turns that big gun into a macro lens that you can shoot from 1 to 2 M away from the subject. Great for bugs and things.

Also, I would recommend the FL-50 instead of the FL-36. You get a bit more punch and functionality. It's worth the extra price.
    Macs Rule, Wintels drool

www.photograpbybywoodrock.com
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2005
    amunsie wrote:
    I see that you are looking at the 50mm f2.0 - get it as soon as you can. It is indeed one of the sharpest lenses I've ever used and well worth the price.

That's what they all say, so it will be my very first next addition.
    amunsie wrote:
    I would recommend the EX-25 over the EC-14, however, depending on what you are going to be shooting.

I'm not that much of a macro guy. The 50 already has its value as a generic lens because of its low light capabilities etc. The EX-25 is nice, and I might add that as well if this setup gets me into macro a bit more. After all, it's not that expensive.

amunsie wrote:
    Also, I would recommend the FL-50 instead of the FL-36. You get a bit more punch and functionality. It's worth the extra price.

I don't use a flash very much, and in the current set, the FL-36 is included in the price. It only costs me EUR 100, since the set without the flash would be EUR 100 less. The FL-50 costs EUR 460, so I'd have to pay EUR 360 extra. For my use of a flash, I find that way too much money.