Options

First solo wedding (disasters +) C&C

djamesdjames Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
edited November 2, 2009 in Weddings
I was asked by inlaws to photograph a wedding for a couple that could not afford to have a photographer. (first mistake)

The wedding was scheduled to occur at 1:30PM in a local Theater. The theater booked another venue to start at 2:00PM (second mistake)

The pastor would not allow flash photography during the ceremony. (third problem)

No time for formals at the theater, so went to a private residence for photos and a reception. (small crowded space with a LOT of people)

This is one of the photos at the house that I changed backgrounds in PP.
683026359_Ry9UA-L.jpg

Another PP background change.
683026203_dsJvx-L.jpg

One from inside the theater using existing light.
683026102_KqnnD-L.jpg

One more in the theater
683025979_wYmqU-L.jpg

The bride and groom are scheduled to return from their honeymoon tomorrow. I hope they are not too dissapointed with what I was able to offer. 61 photos that I am showing them.:rolleyes :rolleyes
http://www.djames-photography.com
In this great big world around us, we will find what we are looking for! What we do with it is up to us to decide.
Olympus E-500 Olympus E-520 Zuiko 14-45 Zuiko 40-150 Sigma 50-500 Zuiko 18-180 4-AB800 strobes, 1AB-400 stobe, 4 softboxes, brolly box, umbrellas etc.

Comments

• Options
    Crystal-PixelCrystal-Pixel Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
    edited October 17, 2009
    Bummer on the situation. Yeah I learned early on that a low FStop is important for the wedding shoots. So many officiants dont like the flash. And then dealing with little time and no room - sucks even more. Good Luck! Hope everything works out.
    Crystal Saly

My Smug: www.crystalpixelphotography.com
    My Site: www.crystal-pixel.com

"I'm in love with my Canon.. & lovely L Lenses..."
  • Options
    Tim KamppinenTim Kamppinen Registered Users Posts: 816 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2009
    Look at it this way: you did it for free, and it looks like you at least got some basic documentation of the event. They can't ask for more than that... although it's entirely possible that they expected more. Hopefully for you they didn't and there won't be any sort of friction between you and them. If there is, just point out that "you get what you pay for".

I don't want to be a jerk, but it sounds like you realize that you weren't ready to shoot a wedding, so hopefully you learned something here. Don't take a job that you're not prepared for, even if it's just as a favor. It will end up being a headache for you and chances are the people you did the favor for will end up disgruntled. Again, hopefully that doesn't happen in this instance.

As for the photos themselves, my only advice is to ditch the digital background insertion. It looks really bad and it's obviously fake. They look like cardboard cutouts.
  • Options
    Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2009
    I'd have to echo what TK is saying here.
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2009
    Look at it this way: you did it for free, and it looks like you at least got some basic documentation of the event. They can't ask for more than that... although it's entirely possible that they expected more. Hopefully for you they didn't and there won't be any sort of friction between you and them. If there is, just point out that "you get what you pay for".

I don't want to be a jerk, but it sounds like you realize that you weren't ready to shoot a wedding, so hopefully you learned something here. Don't take a job that you're not prepared for, even if it's just as a favor. It will end up being a headache for you and chances are the people you did the favor for will end up disgruntled. Again, hopefully that doesn't happen in this instance.

As for the photos themselves, my only advice is to ditch the digital background insertion. It looks really bad and it's obviously fake. They look like cardboard cutouts.

Thank you for your honest thoughts. The background was an attempt to improve on a really bad background of thin purple curtains over vertical louvers on a sliding door that leaked streaks of light. Outside was basically bare dirt and they did not want to go to another location.
    In this great big world around us, we will find what we are looking for! What we do with it is up to us to decide.
    Olympus E-500 Olympus E-520 Zuiko 14-45 Zuiko 40-150 Sigma 50-500 Zuiko 18-180 4-AB800 strobes, 1AB-400 stobe, 4 softboxes, brolly box, umbrellas etc.
  • Options
    mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2009
    Yeah... your photoshop is seriously lacking there. Ditch the cut-n-paste. The original couldn't be that bad.

Matt
    My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
    Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2009
    mmmatt wrote:
    Yeah... your photoshop is seriously lacking there. Ditch the cut-n-paste. The original couldn't be that bad.

Matt

Here are the originals to compare.
    683728688_XJhqR-L.jpg

683728648_K3d5i-L.jpg

Coments? Suggestions bowdown.gifbowdown.gif
  • Options
    Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2009
    If comparing the two.....definitely go with the originals. The others are far too manufactured looking.
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2009
    Yikes....the originals are better by FAR.

The fake BG looks cheesy and.....well....fake.

Many churches and halls are not suited well for photography. The first issue is always light. Secondly......archetectual attractiveness is often in poor supply.

FWIW....I would have expected a theater to have ample light available if only you would have asked for more.

As for its lack of picturesque-ness.....Id say that is definately the photographers job.....that is....to capitolize on the plusses....and avoid or minimize the minuses.
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2009
    djames wrote:
    Here are the originals to compare.

Coments? Suggestions bowdown.gifbowdown.gif

Yes I would definately stick to the originals. The other ones were very obviously fake. My suggestion would be the clone stamp out the white area in the red curtains. Maybe put a small vignette around it.. (lens correction through lightroom would be nice) just to give it a little more depth..
    Crystal Saly

• Options
    edited October 18, 2009
    Yes I would definately stick to the originals. The other ones were very obviously fake. My suggestion would be the clone stamp out the white area in the red curtains. Maybe put a small vignette around it.. (lens correction through lightroom would be nice) just to give it a little more depth..

Thank you Crystal for the suggestions. Are these improved? Would you suggest going further with the vignetting?

684104720_NxNcc-L.jpg

684104670_RzFLj-L.jpg
  • Options
    mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2009
    yeah, the originals are much better. I wouldn't stress too much about fixing what you have. It is what is is and they got what they paid for. Just use what you have, and adjust exposure and white balance as much as you can. Get them to them fast though... no sense letting them sit on your computer while you stress about it. Just give them whatever you have and if you want to learn about wedding photography learn now and move forward from that.

Matt
    My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
    Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2009
    djames wrote:
    Thank you Crystal for the suggestions. Are these improved? Would you suggest going further with the vignetting?

Looks better maybe a tad more vignette. And also crop the first one so that there isn't so much space between her shoulder and the curtains.. bringing in the frame a little more :) I think that would help
    Crystal Saly

• Options
    edited October 19, 2009
    mmmatt wrote:
    yeah, the originals are much better. I wouldn't stress too much about fixing what you have. It is what is is and they got what they paid for. Just use what you have, and adjust exposure and white balance as much as you can. Get them to them fast though... no sense letting them sit on your computer while you stress about it. Just give them whatever you have and if you want to learn about wedding photography learn now and move forward from that.

Matt

Thanks Matt for your encouragement and comments. They are probably getting a little more than they paid for and I am getting an education and experience that is worth a lot to Me.

I probabaly will not become a wedding photographer, but the experience was what it was.

Dennis
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2009
    Looks better maybe a tad more vignette. And also crop the first one so that there isn't so much space between her shoulder and the curtains.. bringing in the frame a little more :) I think that would help

Thanks Crystal for your time and input. It is always refreshing when there is someone who is willing to give pointers and suggestions. By the way I enjoyed your wedding post.

Dennis
  • Options
    ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2009
    the value
    The value of being able to use a professional is their experience. Many venues need special lenses not only for low light but to isolate the subjects from the backgrounds but using the right depth of field.

The skin tones on these are quite red and if printed that will show up. If you have a color calibrated monitor, you might pull out a bit of the red in their skin.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2009
    ChatKat wrote:
    The value of being able to use a professional is their experience. Many venues need special lenses not only for low light but to isolate the subjects from the backgrounds but using the right depth of field.

The skin tones on these are quite red and if printed that will show up. If you have a color calibrated monitor, you might pull out a bit of the red in their skin.

Thank you for the color suggestion. The space allowed to photograph the couple did not lend itself to using a lens that would give greater depth of field. A 12' square room being shared with a table for the wedding cake and punchbowl make for a crowded area.

Thank you for your observations and I agree with your analysis.

Dennis
  • Options
    PortraitProAlexPortraitProAlex Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited October 19, 2009
    For what it's worth, I think the two shots of the couple together aren't bad.. given that you did it for free, it would be ungracious of them to create friction about it. Kudos for having the balls to do it.
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2009
    For what it's worth, I think the two shots of the couple together aren't bad.. given that you did it for free, it would be ungracious of them to create friction about it. Kudos for having the balls to do it.

Thank you.
  • Options
    WeiselWeisel Registered Users Posts: 235 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2009
    I agree with sticking to the originals. At least they look real. The couple chose that location, so those photos are what they get. ---however, it may have been possible to find a better bg, but I wasn't there, so I can't blame anyone.
    Canon 5D MK IV | 24-70 2.8L USM | 50mm F1.4 USM | 70-200mm F2.8L | AB 800 light | 430EXII speedlight (x2) | Lowel iLight | Cybersync remotes | bag of trail mix |
    My Weddings WebsiteBlog
  • Options
    budman101budman101 Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2009
    You did your best considering the constraints you had to work with. Chalk it up to experience. Before you take on any job as the principal photographer, paid or gratis, always ask beforehand what you can or cannot do. Even if the price is right (free) clients will expect professional work because you got the biggest camera around. Just a quick thought about the curtains. If you have CS4 you can try the Replace Color command to change the curtains neutral color.
    www.joemallis.com
    "Most time its not the gear that makes the shot"
  • Options
    edited November 1, 2009
    budman101 wrote:
    You did your best considering the constraints you had to work with. Chalk it up to experience. Before you take on any job as the principal photographer, paid or gratis, always ask beforehand what you can or cannot do. Even if the price is right (free) clients will expect professional work because you got the biggest camera around. Just a quick thought about the curtains. If you have CS4 you can try the Replace Color command to change the curtains neutral color.

Thank you for that suggestion. I do have CS4 but have not used that feature. I will try playing with that a little and see what I like

Dennis
  • Options
    joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2009
    djames wrote:

684104720_NxNcc-L.jpg

684104670_RzFLj-L.jpg

i think a little levels adjustment would do these wonders
  • Options
    edited November 2, 2009
    Following the suggestions from Joe Mallis on changing thebackground wih color replacement and suggestion on reducing the redness of the facial areas I submitt mor work for you comment and suggestions.

I want everyone to know thatI REALLY appreciate the helpful suggestions in this thread.

PLEASE continue to comment further and give more suggestions.

Dennis

700600976_3GvcC-L.jpg

700600872_SmXCq-L.jpg