Options

Martial Arts Promotion Test Fusion Experiment

ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
edited November 2, 2009 in Sports
Messed around w/ getting some video clips in addition to the stills of the 3 adults that went through their promotion tests at my martial arts school last week. Used animoto to combine the stills and video into one cohesive fusion unit. All shot on one of my two 5D Mk II's using either the 35 1.4L or the 70-200 2.8 L IS. This occurred on 10/27/2009.

<object width=864 height=480><param name="movie" value="http://photos.cathoffman.com/ria/ShizVidz-2009090604.swf&quot; /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="flashVars" value="s=aT03MDQwNTE0Njkmaz02M3FhTiZhPTEwMDUyNzMxX3V4MkRVJnU9c2hpbWEmZT0x" /><embed src="http://photos.cathoffman.com/ria/ShizVidz-2009090604.swf&quot; flashVars="s=aT03MDQwNTE0Njkmaz02M3FhTiZhPTEwMDUyNzMxX3V4MkRVJnU9c2hpbWEmZT0x" width=864 height=480 type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always"></embed></object>

Comments

• Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2009
    Hey, Shima! I think this turned out really cool. I'm bettin' they'll really like it. Nice use of stills and video. clap.gif What speed was this video made in? Regular or 1/2 speed or?
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    edited November 1, 2009
    Elaine wrote:
    Hey, Shima! I think this turned out really cool. I'm bettin' they'll really like it. Nice use of stills and video. clap.gif What speed was this video made in? Regular or 1/2 speed or?

I used animoto regular speed for it. Thanks for the kind words!
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited November 1, 2009
    Very impressive and inspiring, Shima. thumb.gif Having a mix of closeups and full-body shots is great. Maybe next time try not to chop off the feet in the full-body shots, though. Can't wait to see what you come up with next. thumb.gif

Edit: in watching it again, I realize it's the special effects panning that is what's chopping off the feet in many cases. Not much you can do about that, except for maybe leaving more room around the subject when you shoot? Or maybe going lighter on the special effects in general? ne_nau.gif Or maybe it's just fine the way it is. I just feel like I'm missing something when I can't see the footwork in the pulled back shots in some cases. This is a minor nit though in the big scheme of things, because I really like this otherwise.

regards,
    -joel
  • Options
    edited November 1, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    Very impressive and inspiring, Shima. thumb.gif Having a mix of closeups and full-body shots is great. Maybe next time try not to chop off the feet in the full-body shots, though. Can't wait to see what you come up with next. thumb.gif

Edit: in watching it again, I realize it's the special effects panning that is what's chopping off the feet in many cases. Not much you can do about that, except for maybe leaving more room around the subject when you shoot? Or maybe going lighter on the special effects in general? ne_nau.gif Or maybe it's just fine the way it is. I just feel like I'm missing something when I can't see the footwork in the pulled back shots in some cases. This is a minor nit though in the big scheme of things, because I really like this otherwise.

regards,
    -joel

thanks for the feedback! Some of the photos the feet got cut off because I had the 70-200 on and no more room to back up, and the other feet getting cut off accidents are due to animoto's effects. Unfortunately I can only fix the issue for future ones when it's a framing issue... since animoto automates the transitional effects and doesn't give me granular control. But yeah, I hear you, my missing feet was bugging me too afterwards, not much you can do after the fact other than to remind yourself to use a wider lens from the beginning next time! :)
  • Options
    ErbemanErbeman Registered Users Posts: 926 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2009
    Nice!! I love seeing folks that are normally in other sub-forums of Dgrin wander over to sports. I'm really impressed. I'm a Nikon shooter so I don't know anything about the software or camera that you used, but it looks like Canon has put together a great combination there. Well done.
    Come see my Photos at:
    http://www.RussErbePhotography.com :thumb
    http://www.sportsshooter.com/erbeman

D700, D300, Nikkor 35-70 F/2.8, Nikkor 50mm F/1.8, Nikkor 70-200 AF-S VR F/2.8, Nikkor AF-S 1.7 teleconverter II,(2) Profoto D1 500 Air,SB-900, SB-600, (2)MB-D10, MacBook Pro
  • Options
    AnimotoBeckyAnimotoBecky Registered Users Posts: 113 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2009
    Great vid! And yes, we are working on supporting more image sizes, as while we can support all 4:3 and 3:4 image rations quite well, sometimes other image ratios/sizes can get chopped off. We're aware of this issue, but encourage you to write to photography@animoto.com with the video's URL that has this issue (and if you could let us know when it appears in the vid, that'd be most helpful), and we'll see to it that this issue gets addressed. The more examples we have of it occurring out in the wild, the better equipped we are to fix it.

But the vid is great! Thanks for sharing it!
    Shima wrote:
    thanks for the feedback! Some of the photos the feet got cut off because I had the 70-200 on and no more room to back up, and the other feet getting cut off accidents are due to animoto's effects. Unfortunately I can only fix the issue for future ones when it's a framing issue... since animoto automates the transitional effects and doesn't give me granular control. But yeah, I hear you, my missing feet was bugging me too afterwards, not much you can do after the fact other than to remind yourself to use a wider lens from the beginning next time! :)
    Animoto Pro now has $39 Trial Pricing:
    http://animoto.com/photography/upgrade
    Pro-Exclusive Styles are here:
    http://animoto.com/photography/elegance

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited November 2, 2009
    I liked the idea but I have to say, I'm not a huge fan of the transitions. I don't know what it is--just don't care for them.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited November 2, 2009
    Great vid! And yes, we are working on supporting more image sizes, as while we can support all 4:3 and 3:4 image rations quite well, sometimes other image ratios/sizes can get chopped off. We're aware of this issue, but encourage you to write to photography@animoto.com with the video's URL that has this issue (and if you could let us know when it appears in the vid, that'd be most helpful), and we'll see to it that this issue gets addressed. The more examples we have of it occurring out in the wild, the better equipped we are to fix it.

But the vid is great! Thanks for sharing it!

I'm not sure that it's a huge animoto problem in this case more of a problem w/ how I framed the feet very close to the bottom of the photos in many cases...so when animoto did the zooming fun it often zooms in and the feet start getting cropped. (all my photos were taken with a full frame sensor btw)