Options

More Halloween Shots -- Alice from Twilight

adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
edited November 3, 2009 in People
So the fangs made her look like she had severe tooth problems, so she went w/o them (plus she bit herself trying to deal with them). True to form, she also managed to twist her ankle earlier in the day (which had my wife suggesting Bella would be the better character for her to play... that didn't go over well). Shots were all taken bouncing a single on-camera flash. No reflectors or anything.

C&C always appreciated.

1. Nothing of the costume, but just felt too cute to pass up:

699531406_ryfgX-L.jpg

2. My 10-year-old vampire....
699531470_YqEqU-L.jpg

699531525_tBctz-L.jpg
699531597_yb5mY-L.jpg

699531639_CtjMT-L.jpg

699531764_YhqDA-L.jpg
7. Feeding time....
699531802_NgXkE-L.jpg
8. More late-night feeding

699531848_Q5JJ4-L.jpg
- Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
My SmugMug Site

Comments

• Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2009
    I really like the balance of light in 3, 4, and 5, though 4 and 5 could use a bit of top cropping.

Well done, and she's the prettiest vampire Ive seen all day!:D
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2009
    Are our daughters twins? Same cheetah print hat, and both went as Alice for Halloween :D

689497486_em5fw-Th.jpg

I really like #4 of your vampire - nice!
  • Options
    kidzmomkidzmom Registered Users Posts: 828 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2009
    Great shots Andrew! She looks so grown up in these!! I think it is the lipstick. I LOVE #6 What a neat shot. I love the angle, her look, the stone and texture. VERY nice! A framer for sure. Thanks for sharing, she is adorable!
  • Options
    edited November 2, 2009
    Thanks Jeff, Diva & Kidzmom. It was pretty happy with these. I'm still not really given the slack to set up a reflector or anything more than bouncing the flash for this stuff, but I figured that slightly higher contrast would definately not be an issue given there was still some ambient daylight and she was supposed to be a vampire, so contrast works more.

Jeff, I tightened the crop on 4/5:

700242268_wFFuJ-M-1.jpg700242192_axZya-M-1.jpg

Kidzmom, thanks for the vote on #6. I was kinda ambivalent on that one since her legs seem so long in it. I updated the crop in the smugmug gallery, do you think this is an improvement?

699531764_YhqDA-M-1.jpg

Thanks for your help and feedback!! This forum has been a real boon to my ability to take photos and really look at the structure.
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    edited November 2, 2009
    Hey Andrew....honestly I think the original framing for #6 still takes the cake! It is my favorite for sure. The new crop is nice, but actually makes the legs look longer since the space behind her isn't there to balance things out. Hey, nothing wrong with a girl w/ long legs!!!!! :D She looks stunning in that one in my opinion, and the background textures and shapes add so much to the picture! clap.gif I DO like the new crop too, but maybe a compromise b/w the two is best...ie a bit more space behind her (maybe 1/2 as much as in the original).
  • Options
    edited November 2, 2009
    kidzmom wrote:
    Hey Andrew....honestly I think the original framing for #6 still takes the cake! It is my favorite for sure. The new crop is nice, but actually makes the legs look longer since the space behind her isn't there to balance things out. Hey, nothing wrong with a girl w/ long legs!!!!! :D She looks stunning in that one in my opinion, and the background textures and shapes add so much to the picture! clap.gif I DO like the new crop too, but maybe a compromise b/w the two is best...ie a bit more space behind her (maybe 1/2 as much as in the original).

Thanks. I'll play some more and figure it out. I rarely take pictures that are full-length so I think that I have a mix of getting the angle & lens-length right as well as getting used to looking at them. I proabably should have shot this one from above like this one:

617805284_vHVQs-M-2.jpg

Once again, thanks for the input.
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    edited November 2, 2009
    REALLY nice too!! The colors are so nice and sharp! An A +++! I'm a big fan of vantage point shots!clap.gif
  • Options
    toddbtoddb Registered Users Posts: 114 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2009
    Great pics Andrew. Like 6 the best and agree the original crop is better.
  • Options
    edited November 2, 2009
    I tried a little post on this to make her a bit more vampire-ish. I think she'll love the greenish eyes and much paler skin. I tweaked the color on the eyes, sharpened a little, and did a high-key portraiture run (toned down a bit) on her skin, and then burned the lips a bit.

701101934_Pi9VW-M.jpg

I think the image would have been just a little better if she was looking up a bit more (her head down just a bit) so I'd have the ring of white below ther iris of her eye. Overall it was a good shoot, and it convinced me to get an umbrella and light stand so I can actually control where my light is coming from, instead of trying to guess the bounce just right. Hopefully the DW doesn't beat me with the lightstand for it....
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2009
    I love your re-crop on #4. And I also really like the lighting on #2. I can see why you like #1. Have you tried cropping it even a bit closer...a bit off the left and top maybe? She's such a pretty girl! Hopefully she lets you practice on her a lot! (Not that you would need it...just fun for both of you!) Have fun with your new umbrella and lightstand. thumb.gif
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    edited November 3, 2009
    Thanks, again, Kidzmom; also thanks for the feedback, Eliane and Todd; it's very helpful. Elaine, I need lots of practice. Too often the lighting doesn't go as planned. It's coming out well more often, but I have a ways to go...
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2009
    Very nice! #3, 4, and 5 for me, too. I prefer the recrops thumb.gif
  • Options
    PhotosbychuckPhotosbychuck Registered Users Posts: 1,239 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2009
    my fav is #3 clap.gif

Take Care,
    Charles
    D300S, 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR