Options

Wedding pricelist change

BlueSkyPhotosBlueSkyPhotos Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
edited November 2, 2009 in Weddings
Hi,
I have a dilemma I need a help with. In September I provided my friend with my wedding pricelist. His wife shared it with a few brides to be. In October, after doing cost analysis of my business I decided to raise prices. One of the future brides who works with my friend's wife contacted me last weekend asking for a consultation.
Question is: Should I quote her my new prices or go with a price sheet she might have received from my friend's wife? Keep in mind that I don't have my prices listed on my site.

Thank you,
Blue Sky
Jacek

Comments

• Options
    MoxMox Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2009
    If you need to raise your prices in order to be profitable and to remain in business, I would quote your new prices. You can explain that you are raising them for 2010 - most business adjust their prices at least once a year to compensate for cost of living increases and raises. How large a hike are you talking about, percentage-wise?

If she argues, you can negotiate, but I'd start with a quote that puts your business where it needs to be.
  • Options
    PrettyKittyPrettyKitty Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited November 2, 2009
    Hi,
    I have a dilemma I need a help with. In September I provided my friend with my wedding pricelist. His wife shared it with a few brides to be. In October, after doing cost analysis of my business I decided to raise prices. One of the future brides who works with my friend's wife contacted me last weekend asking for a consultation.
    Question is: Should I quote her my new prices or go with a price sheet she might have received from my friend's wife? Keep in mind that I don't have my prices listed on my site.

Thank you,
    Blue Sky

I'd quote her the new prices, espcially since you said 'she MIGHT have received". Most photographers I know point out that the only way to lock in prices is to put down your deposit to reserve the date. Otherwise the prices are subject to change. If she doesn't like the new prices, then it's up to you to decide if you want to give her a break since she's a friend of a friend. Or you can always explain to her what's gone up for you since that last price list... But don't take a job that'll make you lose money!
  • Options
    edited November 2, 2009
    Mox wrote:
    If you need to raise your prices in order to be profitable and to remain in business, I would quote your new prices. You can explain that you are raising them for 2010 - most business adjust their prices at least once a year to compensate for cost of living increases and raises. How large a hike are you talking about, percentage-wise?

If she argues, you can negotiate, but I'd start with a quote that puts your business where it needs to be.

Thanks for your reply Mox. My prices went up about 25%, but my base was very low. I started my business last year and wanted to get my portfolio build up. Since then I got a lot of business and finally figure out that I need to charge more.

Blue Sky
    www.blue-skyphotography.com
    Jacek
    edited November 2, 2009
    I'd quote her the new prices, espcially since you said 'she MIGHT have received". Most photographers I know point out that the only way to lock in prices is to put down your deposit to reserve the date. Otherwise the prices are subject to change. If she doesn't like the new prices, then it's up to you to decide if you want to give her a break since she's a friend of a friend. Or you can always explain to her what's gone up for you since that last price list... But don't take a job that'll make you lose money!

It makes a lot of sense PrettyKitty. Thanks for your reply.

Blue Sky
    Jacek
    edited November 2, 2009
    I would definitely go for your new prices.
    Also, for future reference, when writing price quotes for a client, you can say "Prices in here are good until [insert date] and are afterwards subject to change." so that if they do circulate it to someone, they know that it might not last. And set the date frame to be short!
    If they truly like you then they'll understand that your value has increased.
    Nikon D700, 50mm f/1.8, 85mm f/1.8, 24-70mm f/2.8, 60mm f/2.8, SB-900
    Site
    Blog
  • Options
    Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2009
    Keep in mind that I don't have my prices listed on my site.

Thank you,
    Blue Sky

Welcome aboard. May we have a link please?
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited November 2, 2009
    Or simply Price subject to change. For a current price list, please see www....

entropy07 wrote:
    I would definitely go for your new prices.
    Also, for future reference, when writing price quotes for a client, you can say "Prices in here are good until [insert date] and are afterwards subject to change." so that if they do circulate it to someone, they know that it might not last. And set the date frame to be short!
    If they truly like you then they'll understand that your value has increased.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited November 2, 2009
    Welcome aboard. May we have a link please?

Here is the link to my site: http://www.blue-skyphotography.com
    Jacek