Options

Have you seen the work of ... ?

seastackseastack Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
edited November 2, 2009 in Street and Documentary
I love looking at other people's work and my own work has only gotten better in the last couple of years because of it. It can be both inspiring, and demoralizing. Aside from the established greats I am amazed at the level of work from younger emerging photographers (the particularly demoralizing part ;-)). In many ways I think we have entered a golden age in the quality of work produced.

Following is one of my favorites. The project could have been entirely derivative but it certainly was not.

Driftless: Stories from Iowa is a book by documentary photographer Danny Wilcox Frazier. Robert Frank wrote the forward. Frazier spent three years on the project. A followup documentary piece was done by Frazier and Mediastorm. It is excellent and includes a great interview with the photographer. You can find it here.

Do you have a favorite, or two, contemporary photography books/projects for us to discover?

Did I mention Bendiksen? ;-))

Comments

• Options
    sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2009
    seastack wrote:
    I love looking at other people's work and my own work has only gotten better in the last couple of years because of it. It can be both inspiring, and demoralizing. Aside from the established greats I am amazed at the level of work from younger emerging photographers (the particularly demoralizing part ;-)). In many ways I think we have entered a golden age in the quality of work produced.

Following is one of my favorites. The project could have been entirely derivative but it certainly was not.

Driftless: Stories from Iowa is a book by documentary photographer Danny Wilcox Frazier. Robert Frank wrote the forward. Frazier spent three years on the project. A followup documentary piece was done by Frazier and Mediastorm. It is excellent and includes a great interview with the photographer. You can find it here.

Do you have a favorite, or two, contemporary photography books/projects for us to discover?

Did I mention Bendiksen? ;-))

Two books I brought home from the library the other day and are sitting on my kitchen table - open - are David Hume Kennerly's Photo duJour, and Ulrike Welsch's The World I Love to See.
  • Options
    JimWJimW Registered Users Posts: 333 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2009
    Seastack
    Thanks for posting that link. His photographs and story are great. The movies, while they were interesting, seemed kind of sappy to me. They really tug at the heartstrings. The people interviewed are often near tears. The music and editing adds to this. No contrast here, only despair.

His photographs tell the story. He had great access to the people and they must have trusted him. That takes a commitment, which shows up a big in his images. I applaud his efforts, his excellent eye and his commitment. The images appear honest.

Would like to hear your take on his work.
    Jim

I don't want the cheese, I just want to get out of the trap.

http://www.jimwhitakerphotography.com/
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited November 2, 2009
    Lovely sad stories, and I say this as a midwesterner.

I see the disappearance of the family farms occurring all across the midwest, not just in Iowa.

But I wonder, doesn't the sun ever shine in Iowa?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin