Options

Working for another photography business?

dawssvtdawssvt Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
edited November 3, 2009 in Weddings
I currently shoot weddings as a part time gig. There is a photography studio in town that mostly shoots portraits and does some weddings. I'm looking for a job just to be able to pay the bills right now.

I think working for this studio could be good experience for me, but also think it could be counter-productive because they will have copyright of the pictures I take. I just love the idea of getting to work with a camera with both my day job and doing weddings on my own. What do you guys think of this?

Website
My Smugmug

My Canon Gear:
5DMII | 24-105mm f/4L | 45mm TS/E | 135mm f/2.0L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS | 50mm f/1.4
| 580EX II & 430EX

Comments

• Options
    bbeck4x4bbeck4x4 Registered Users Posts: 159 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2009
    I'd say in your position, take the paycheck, leave the photos, and keep the experience.
    Brian Beck
    Spanish Fork, Utah 84660- 360 Virtual Tours - Landscapes
    Google + Facebook Website
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2009
    bbeck4x4 wrote:
    I'd say in your position, take the paycheck, leave the photos, and keep the experience.

Yeah, if you need a job to pay the bills, this is a job that not only will likely do that, but will also make you happy at it from the sounds of things. So yes, they may copyright everything and you don't get to keep your own work, but these are gigs you wouldn't have been doing otherwise anyway, so at least you'll be gaining additional valuable experience. When you don't need the job to just pay the bills anymore, quit and move on to bigger better things again. Just my 2 cents :)