Options

Kristine and Chris fall university shoot

lisarhinehartlisarhinehart Registered Users Posts: 279 Major grins
edited November 3, 2009 in Weddings
A few from yesterday... this couple wanted their engagement pics at the university where they met. c&c welcome --Lisa

700871442_Rcbvr-XL.jpg

700872427_pFJcJ-XL.jpg

700871965_Yr3Ke-XL.jpg

700873225_xiERB-XL.jpg

700873513_XY44t-XL.jpg

700873833_UjaKx-XL.jpg

700874266_wGZdG-XL.jpg
In front of the dorm, where they met

700875347_tmjoR-XL.jpg

700876522_jy2Ae-XL.jpg

700877893_qktji-XL.jpg

700878539_tRFZP-XL.jpg

700879513_7u7iW-XL.jpg

700960234_LuSVi-XL.jpg

700881287_W3PAf-XL.jpg
I like their expressions here, but can't quite get the processing right-- looks to muddy, no?

700881806_ucemz-XL.jpg

700882241_F2VRE-XL.jpg

17.700883915_xbdVA-XL.jpg
The ring was his grandmothers

Thanks! --Lisa
Lisa
My Website

Comments

• Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2009
    Ooooo! Nice set!!!!!! thumb.gif

I really like ALL of them, with these coming up for nits (sorry only to write about the ones I don't like - I'm pushed for time and this was the quickest way to comment! Take it as read that if no specific comment is made I loved it :D)

10 - this one looks flashed
    13 - this one looks too soft for me, even though I get what you're going for

And I am seriously impressed by your leaf fight! Mine didn't work AT ALL (he took it a little too seriously, and their expressions are grimaces instead of giggles!)

Really nice set, Lisa thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2, 2009
    thanks
    Thank you :)

You are right-- At first I thought you meant 5-- that one is really soft. I accidentally posted a version of 13 with camera shake, and have just edited in another version, do you like it better? 10 was in dappled light so I added extra flash-- I think it helped, but still looks flashed as you said.
    Lisa
    My Website
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2009
    Thank you :)

You are right-- At first I thought you meant 5-- that one is really soft. I accidentally posted a version of 13 with camera shake, and have just edited in another version, do you like it better? 10 was in dappled light so I added extra flash-- I think it helped, but still looks flashed as you said.

5 is soft, but it comes over as "artistic blur" on that one - doesn't bother me at alll, although it probably won't be to everybody's taste. I like that kind of vintage-y, 60's, Holga look, however :D

13 still a little soft, but not so much, although it's hard to tell at this size (laptop). I think the prob with 10 is that I can tell you used flash, but it didn't overcome the dappled light - also, there's a pretty major branch through her head - I would probably be contemplating cloning it out.... You have so many other great shots that even though that one has a great smile, you probably have others that are just as good without the problems (read: time-consuming fixes) that one presents!
  • Options
    pwppwp Registered Users Posts: 230 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2009
    #5 is too soft to me, and isn't coming across as intentional blur. And #16 the eyes aren't in focus, but I'm guessing the ring is supposed to be sharp...it's just too hard to tell. Most of the set looks great, though!
    ~Ang~
    My Site
    Proud Photog for The Littlest Heroes Project and Operation: LoveReunited
    Lovin' my Canon 5D Mark II!
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2009
    lovely set lisa..you sure have come a long way as well! 2 nit picks:

1) shot #1 the leaves are blown out and sitracting to me.

2) shot #13 I think could use much tighter crop..just left of the couple on the left side and just right of the "tunnel" on the right side.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2009
    Hey Lisa! Here is some c&c for you. Overall most of these images have the backgrounds way too hot. What I like to do is meter on the background and then adjust flash compensation to get proper lighting.

1. Leaves and rails are fried... maybe you can burn them in a bit. You could lower overall exposure on that one a tad and still be OK IMO, and you might try a slight, broad vignette to knock down the leaves and the other bright elements down a bit. Comp doesn't impress me because it is so rigidly divided by the rails... expressions are nice but I'm not thrilled about getting a full view of the guys crotch.

2. this is a pretty nice image. With her leaning left it would be a little bit better for us to see the negative space on the left. I do however like how you framed the rocks in the shot, and I don't know what was to the left, but to my eye it is best that implied movement go toward the open/negative space.

3. Nice expressions and they seem like they are starting to warm up to your camera a bit. I like the lens flare in general but on this particular photo I don't care for how the flair circles her head... I find that distracting but that may be a "just me" thing.

4. This is a nice image except for the blown out background.

5. I don't care for this one at all really. The blur doesn't thrill me nor does the comp.

6. I like this one!

7. I like this but it seems sorta square and rigid. If it wasn't for the fact that it is a meaningful location it wouldn't be that good of an image. Good use of flare though and a great idea, but another shooting angle... up, down, left or right may have made it more exciting IMHO.

8. Nice!

9. Nice image but there seems to be some good architecture here and maybe incorporating it into the frame would have been nice. Also, that sidewalk going strait and center is not ideal. an angled line is better to my eye.

10. flashey and dappely (yes I am sure that must be a word...) as you said, but otherwise nice.

11. a little hot on their faces otherwise nice

12. nice fun shot but chopped feet... I chop lots of feet but usually I will crop up a bit so people don't know... shhhh!

13. nice but walking toward you is my pref... I assume you did both?

14. nice expressions!

15. sky way too blown and to me very distracting because it is so much of the frame.

16. better, but sky is still super hot. I would have liked to see you off to the left a bit more though for just a tiny bit of his face with the focus on the ring... that would have been a really nice comp of this. This isn't bad though. I personally would crop into this one some and play around with it more.

17. Nice ring shot! Best would have been to get all 3 stones in focus but I know that is super tough that close.

Hopefully this doesn't come off too harsh, I am only trying to be helpful here. Certainly not meant to read as the bible of photography, but my honest opinions.

Matt
    My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
    Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • Options
    edited November 3, 2009
    thanks
    Thanks for all the c&c friends :) I'll be sending the couple 100 or so pics, just taking out the blinks and really bad ones. I figure they might like some I don't. My first couple chose one for the newspaper that I thought was just average, but they looked slim and hot, so in it went.

I thought maybe I should post a few more that may be better than the original posted ones for the reasons you pointed out. I will be putting about a dozen on FB later today. Let me know if there are any that stand out as ones they'd want for profile pics on there.

18. Better comp with the rails-- I hadn't noticed the crotch, I'll have to watch for that the next time.
    702024423_NNzqv-L.jpg

19. Still soft, but maybe better
    702024894_dV5Ru-XL.jpg

20. A vertical version of the same pic-- there was a parking lot to the left
    702025317_5rnqB-XL.jpg

21. Another version taken by me standing up
    702025091_qcBvC-XL.jpg

22. Without the flair...
    702025518_yoUYW-XL.jpg

23. Another from diff angle, but a bit of his face is blown out and oof as she moved forward a bit when she giggled, still think it's cute though
    702026217_zWadE-XL.jpg

24. Diff angle with correct f-stop
    702026460_kBzqD-XL.jpg

25. A sharper closer crop of the archway
    702026768_MdRbo-XL.jpg

26. Archway cuddling
    702027130_d47sa-XL.jpg

27. Very similar to the newspaper pic chosen by the other couple
    702027395_Syozy-XL.jpg

28. 702027824_mP9VW-XL.jpg

29. I like the pose
    702028333_wuvPg-XL.jpg

30. A piggy back one without the tree branch "going through" her head
    702028692_uJojg-XL.jpg

702029853_FyZcV-XL.jpg

32. With the focus on her face instead of the ring-- I like the wrinkled nose here
    702030995_nbkEQ-XL.jpg

33. Another ring shot, but I still prefer the rose one. I'll have to get all diamonds in focus on their wedding day.
    702024718_GQEi7-XL.jpg
    Lisa
    My Website