Options

Pricing for musicians?

UmmmHowsThatUmmmHowsThat Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
edited November 3, 2009 in Mind Your Own Business
Hey everyone.

First off, I saw THIS thread and although it's similar to my request, not quite what I'm going to ask.

I recently shot my buddies' band (THREAD) with the intention of using the photos in their CD. Which they did. And it looked great.

I didn't charge them because they're pals, but when I was at their CD release show, a member of another band asked me what I charged to do that. Apparently, he liked my shots :dunno:rofl

So my question is this: These are grassroots, garage-styled bands that play for fun and record for quarters and dimes (although Dewey's CD sounds professional). What would an honest price be?

I really don't do photography as anything more than a hobby, but I wouldn't mind making a few bucks off of it. All I did for Dewey was met them at two locations for pictures, slight editing (very, very if at all), and burned them to a DVD. Not a lot of work. I can't imagine this should be too expensive, but I wanted to get some professional opinions.

Ok, thanks for reading.
-Bryan

Comments

• Options
    FedererPhotoFedererPhoto Registered Users Posts: 312 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2009
    Me? 2-3 hours of work with 20k+ of gear, years of practice, learning, and knowledge... not to mention the priceless 'creative eye of style'....

... for friends.

Free.

... for friends of friends?

100-500, depending on how 'close' of friends. Likely 300.

There, hard numbers for you. ;)

BUT... in all honesty, if I was shooting it, I'd probably try to work a deal with them to hook me up with some good music for my sites. ;)
    Minneapolis Minnesota Wedding Photographer - Check out my Personal Photography site and Professional Photography Blog
    Here is a wedding website I created for a customer as a value-add. Comments appreciated.
    Founding member of The Professional Photography Forum as well.
  • Options
    UmmmHowsThatUmmmHowsThat Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    edited November 3, 2009
    Thanks for the reply.

I'm gonna agree with you on that. I would never charge pals money to do what I enjoy, regardless of equipment, experience, etc. And that's a good idea of working something out with the other band. I'll do that if/when they contact me.

Thanks again thumb.gif
    -Bryan