Options

Pathfinder's Latest Trip Report

pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
edited November 16, 2009 in Journeys
Pathfinder's Report on traveling to and from Wild Utah II -

It has become a tradition that after attending a shoot out, Nightingale and I will wend our way home across the Blue Highways, photographing and exploring as we go. We finally get home, spend a few weeks editing the images, and then post a trip report here on dgrin of our experiences along the way.

This year we left home before dawn, with this view to sustain our early morning departure

677642310_Wft8x-XL.jpg

We rode in the "White Night".

My Ridgeline was crowned with this appellation by Aaron Nelson, after its fine service on the run to Toroweap, and its oficial vehicle color - eg: white.

We tested its mettle again in the Utah backcountry arroyos and creek beds on the way to Hondoo Arch for Wild Utah II

Leaving Terre Haute, we roared across Illinois, Missouri and half of Kansas and spent the night in Dodge City.
The landcape of Kansas is changing rapidly with new windmills going up almost daily. I can remember riding across Kansas just a decade ago and not seeing any windmills other than Aeromotors, and now you find fields of large electric generating windmills as far as you can see -

677646144_TUSy4-XL.jpg
I like this juxtaposition of the old and the new. Look carefully, as they appear far apart, but the old windwill is actually less than 75 feet from the base of the new windmill in front.

Here is an Aeromotor up close
659295255_UGdLX-XL.jpg

We saw this sunset as we neared Dodge City
677641562_CHT7N-L.jpg

We put our horse away wet, and slept with our boots on, leaving shortly after dawn the next morning. We veered southerly, off the Sante Fe trail, down through Oklahoma and Texas, and found a room in Carrizozo New Mexico.

Carrizozo is the home of Carrizozo cherry cider. It is delicious. Make sure you try it when you are in New Mexico.

Carrizozo is a charming little village, full of qurky, artistic folks. They have lined 12th street with burros from floor to ceiling.

702572445_p39tA-XL.jpg

702573221_DYNcG-XL.jpg

702565525_PZGYG-XL.jpg

Some one is Carrizozo has a sense of humor also --- or not!

677809386_6vBVQ-XL.jpg

Our first goal was to visit the Three Rivers Petroglyph site, a place I have wanted to see for some time. It is an area of about 500 acres with over 20,000 glyphs of birds, humans, animals, fish and abstract figures. - all carved around 900 to 1400 AD.

679173937_UjjC9-XL.jpg

702630255_6A2yV-XL.jpg

702631159_szYkY-XL.jpg

677804772_4rAQt-XL.jpg

After leaving Three Rivers we took a quick tour through the Valley of Fire Recreation area just outside Carrizozo. This is a black lava field with a smooth cement walkway through it. We saw a very nice lizard there
702591186_3MjdP-XL.jpg

677823028_DDY79-XL.jpg

Next we raced to Alamogordo, where we found a large storm passing over White Sands National Monument complete with lighting and thunder. We wondered if we would be allowed entry into the park, due to the lighting danger in the open. Apparently, that is not a concern, as they allowed us to enter in the midst of the inclement weather. But by the time we had travelled a few miles, the storm moved on, and we got to see sunset in White Sands. I recommend it highly!

659297359_9dfGs-XL.jpg

659297498_MQvEV-XL.jpg

677817457_oED2s-XL.jpg

686643533_pnJQe-XL.jpg

702750301_ehMj3-X2.jpg

702809290_tHTQ7-X2.jpg

The following day we had planned on heading north to enter Chaco Canyon, but the distance would not allow a full day at Chaco, so we elected to head up to Santa Fe and then hike through Kasha-Katuwe Tent Rocks National Monument the next morning. Kasha-Katuwe Tent Rocks was established in January 2001 by President Clinton.

The hike at Kasha-Katuwe begins as a wide slot canyon, and then begins to ascend to the top of the monument 600 feet up higher. Here is Nightingale hiking up in the slot.

659296904_FBdsF-XL.jpg

679126967_2bExR-XL.jpg

679154613_bFNzg-XL.jpg

Here is part of the view from the top

684113443_PAYnz-X2.jpg

We now had three major previews under our belts, and were ready to tackle the run to Chaco Canyon early the following morning.

Chaco Canyon is kind of a rite of passage for tourists who enjoy seeing Pueblo Culture sites. It is much larger than Mesa Verde or the Gila Cliff Dwellings. It is at the end of a 30 mile rough, very dusty gravel road that is best travelled by high clearance vehicles. Signs say it may not be drivable in inclement weather, and I am sure that is quite true, as it is in many areas in the south west.

Chaco was inhabited from about 800 AD to 1100 AD. Theories about the inhabitants and their culture abounds, but it seems certain that the major great houses were built for ceremonial purposes, and the full time inhabitants were far fewer than the buildings would house.

This is Pueblo Bonito, which had the rear portion crushed by a very large rock named Threatening Rock on January 21, 1941.

660160499_fbrai-XL.jpg

Here is an unroofed Great Kiva - It is amazing in size - maybe 50 yards across

660162440_2DUXM-XL.jpg

After all the trips Nightingale and I have made in the SouthWest, we finally met our first Western Diamondback rattlesnake on our way through Chaco Canyon

696069430_jvZaD-XL.jpg

I found this petroglyph quite unique in Chaco canyon

662062304_yz3y5-XL.jpg

A wall in Chaco with a moon rise

703557107_u9JQT-XL.jpg

We returned to Farmington for the evening and next morning toured the Salmon Ruins near Farmington NM. There are ruins and a lovely museum with numerous articles and fetishes recovered from the ruins.

677655384_FAtCB-XL.jpg

660895073_UNvTW-XL.jpg

Then it was time to head north to Moab, to spend a couple days exploring again. We had lunch in Bluff and wandered by the Sand Island petroglyph panels

695839046_9J8uo-XL.jpg

Kokopelli was still there.... he looked pretty scruffty, so I dressed him up a bit.

692754193_Mg2Bz-XL.jpg

The hunters had been there once upon a time also. Many petroglyph sites are near a campsite near water, where the hunters could peck at the rock after the hunt was over.

703681803_mfmHo-XL.jpg

We spotted some antelope on the road to Newspaper Rock.

660883741_2BoBf-XL.jpg

659294782_g9MzH-XL.jpg

The next morning we began our day exploring Kane Creek Road and its famous petroglyph rock, complete with birthing scene.

663368863_43fNe-XL.jpg

663367080_y7n5b-XL.jpg

We found a few modern 'pictographs' in Moab near the spring at the junction of 191 and 128, where the mountain bikers fill up their water bottles and leave their thanks.

675878505_rcgd3-XL.jpg

675874393_WN32y-XL.jpg

They do resemble some genuine pre-Columbian pictographs we saw in Canyonlands

664621921_PjGnu-XL.jpg

Later that day we hiked to Tower Arch in the far distant part of Arches.

686658481_CJLhf-XL.jpg

and saw another great sunset in Arches

688647985_FcKoC-XL.jpg

These are just the highlights of what Nighitngale and I saw before picking up Sarah ( Photoempt ) in Grand Junction and spending a couple night in Green River before joining Marc and his crew for the workshop in Wild Utah.

Like Joe says MTK

Comments and criticisms heartily encouraged. We have a thick skin.:thumb
Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin

Comments

• Options
    DRT-MaverickDRT-Maverick Registered Users Posts: 476 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2009
    Amazing photographic series!

Btw, do you drive a pathfinder? :D
    Pentax K20D 14.6mp Body : Pentax *ist D 6.1mp Body : Pentax ZX10 Body : 180mm Sigma Macro EX lens : 18-55mm Pentax SMC DA Lens : 28-200mm Sigma Lens : 50-500mm Sigma APO DG EX lens : Pentax AF-500FTZ flash : Sigma EX 2x Teleconverter.
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2009
    Whoa!

Once again I have to bury my camera in the backyard tomorrow...
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    edited November 4, 2009
    Amazing photographic series!

Btw, do you drive a pathfinder? :D

No....... I drive a White Knight!rolleyes1.gif

A Ridgeline actually.........

601324693_QEpsq-L.jpg

• Options
    edited November 4, 2009
    Whoa!

Once again I have to bury my camera in the backyard tomorrow...

Don't you dare!

More to come in a few days.

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2009
    Fantastic journey, great pics and story telling,thanks PF!
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,931 moderator
    edited November 5, 2009
    clap.gifclapclap.gif Great stuff. Thanks for the tour.
  • Options
    rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2009
    Great trip report through pics & words. Also, thank you Jim for the names and links to the places of interest. That's a huge help for others that may be planning a trip in the future. thumb.gif
    Randy
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2009
    pathfinder wrote:
    659294782_g9MzH-S.jpg

besides what I think about the total luck involved in getting this shot out in the wild, but thats one big dang antelope buck....
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2009
    pathfinder wrote:

696069430_jvZaD-S.jpg

just like a little puppy, always wanting to play....
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2009
    Super interesting Journey, Jim, and great photos. I thoroughly enjoyed it clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
  • Options
    edited November 5, 2009
    besides what I think about the total luck involved in getting this shot out in the wild, but thats one big dang antelope buck....

Not luck at all! Preparation!!thumb.gif

Although antelope can be very shy and elusive, these were always in the same spot for several days, and always curious when we turned around to pull off the road to shoot them. We used the White Knight as a shooting blind, of course.

We actually photographed this small gathering ( do antelopes have herds or families or gatherings or what? ) several times over the course of two different days. Very near the turnoff of 191 on the way to News Paper Rock,

Long glass does help - I've never shot antelope effectively with less than 400-500mm on a cropped body camera like the 50D.

Here is a full frame uncropped jpg from straight outa Lightroom of 'goats' from the same location.

704454531_3Zbtm-X2.jpg

• Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2009
    clap.gifclap.gif great
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2009
    Amazing set, Pathfinder!! clap.gif

The last White Sands shot is spectacularly gorgeous!!

I really dig the Chaco shots as well! Pueblo Bonito is an awe-inspiring place and it looks like you captured it well! Looking through my old shots of it, it's tough to separate from the cliffs behind, but it looks like you were there at a perfect time to get that much needed distinction. That Great Kiva is where I attempted my first pano shot with my little point n shoot! (It came out ridiculously bad, which is why I remember it so well! rolleyes1.gif )

Looking forward to the "MTK"!! thumb.gif
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2009
    pathfinder wrote:
    Don't you dare!

More to come in a few days.

Okay, if you don't mind teaching I will try to keep learning.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2009
    Superb! Thanks Pathfinder and Nightingale. I will be sharing this with my hubby - I'm sure it is a trip he would want to take.
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2009
  • Options
    captnemocaptnemo Registered Users Posts: 186 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2009
    Fantastic shots- I especially enjoyed the lizard and rattler, but really they all look great, My Mother grew up in NM I'll have to ask her about planning a trip. While I've been there before I was always on my way somewhere else need to plan to stop and spend some time I see :D
  • Options
    CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2009
    Very inspiring report with great details.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips