Calf Creek Falls - Utah

TreyHoffTreyHoff Registered Users Posts: 388 Major grins
edited November 6, 2009 in Landscapes
Hello, This is my first post for critique. Here are three compositions of the falls. No enhancements. Thanks for commenting.

#1 I placed my wife in the photo for scale...better without?
681418613_USvdM-L.jpg

681418152_RVkDS-L.jpg

681419194_RP54q-L.jpg

Comments

• BlackwoodBlackwood Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2009
    Wow, I love the shot with your wife.
  • rookieshooterrookieshooter Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2009
    I'd say scale isn't needed -- it looks amazing all by itself. If you removed the wife from the first shot that would be my pick. Thanks for sharing!
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited November 2, 2009
    Sweet shots! Having your wife in that first shot definitely adds to the composition, IMHO. Yet another location in the southwest that I must visit!

Cheers,
    -joel
  • eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2009
    Those are awesome falls - spectacular colors there. My favorite is #2. I wish there was a vantage point for #1 without the branches intruding.
    E
  • TreyHoffTreyHoff Registered Users Posts: 388 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2009
    eoren1 wrote:
    Those are awesome falls - spectacular colors there. My favorite is #2. I wish there was a vantage point for #1 without the branches intruding.
    E

Thanks everyone for the comments. Sometimes when you're in the field you think there is only one way to get a composition. After I got home and reviewed this one, I realized I could have simply lower the tripod to avoid the trees.
  • wirehuntwirehunt Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    edited November 2, 2009
    I agree with rookieshooter, that first one is great though even with wifey in it. It gives you two good options for the same photo.
    Stephen Dickson: The one from the south island of New Zealand.

Work hard, play harder. bloggy
  • emeraldroseemeraldrose Registered Users Posts: 324 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2009
    lol thanks for naming the place. I went there back in 2006 with my 4x5 and loved it (though not the hike in the sun with a 45 lb. pack lol) and couldn't remember the name.
  • choudhrysaabchoudhrysaab Registered Users Posts: 249 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2009
    you guys are so lucky to be visiting/iving in such amazing and picturesque places.
    Superb shots btw. thumb.gif
  • Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2009
    You absolutely need a person in the photo for perspective. I thought it was about a 20' fall or so, wow this is huge! Great job on this one, lovely colors
  • TreyHoffTreyHoff Registered Users Posts: 388 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2009
    Thanks for your comments. The hike in was about 3 miles and there is some beautiful scenery along the way, but we (wife and I) didn't have time if we wanted to get out by dark.
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2009
    Just beautiful, and your wife does provide good scale clap.gifclap.gif
  • GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited November 6, 2009
    great series, think in #1 if you had moved a little to the left so overhanging branch wasnt in the frame.
    maybe a little curves adjustment to increase highlights a touch.
    phil