Options

Custom Bicycle show -shots

tpodonnetpodonne Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
edited November 5, 2009 in Sports
Here is a shot from the show. The custom builders let me take the bikes from their displays to shoot. Instead of just using the convention center painted concrete (block) walls, I noticed the closed concession window shutter and the counter were stainless steal. So I started throwing the bikes on the counter and was stoked. This is probably the better of the group and a couple of the builders are interested in purchasing some downloads for their sites.

I had to tweak them some in PS CS but I think they turned out pretty well.
Please give me your two cents - thanks.

693029792_vXF5d-M.jpg695163214_9QE8u-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2009
    Nice bikes, and nice idea…

Pluses: You took the photos of the right side of the bike, which is the correct side, as it shows all the nice gears and the chain-wheels, which is a Good Thing!

…but IMNSHO, you're not doing the bikes any favours by using such a fussy background. If it were me, I'd use a very plain background with nothing to distract the viewer from the wonderful lines, shapes, textures and form of the bike.

The wheels and spokes are out of focus. Reason: you used auto-focus, which was as confused as hell, and focused on the nice and contrasty lines on the background (good reason to use manual focus)

…also see the way the horizontal lines in the first photo look bent? That's barrel distortion in the lens, which wouldn't be as noticeable if you'd used a plain background.

Well, you did ask! mwink.gif

- Wil

BTW: Welcome to DGPF!
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • Options
    SUMGUYSUMGUY Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited November 5, 2009
    I kind of like the background. To me, it gives the bikes a bit of a feeling like they were made in a N.A.S.A secret shed or some sort of clinical surgery with the latest space age materials....No doubt the bikes are made from these materials :D

I see what your saying Wil, but to someone looking to buy those bikes, I don't think they will even notice the background.

Cheers
    Scott
  • Options
    2whlrcr2whlrcr Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2009
    And you need to make sure the chain is on the big chain ring. Don't want these bikes looking slow.:D