Options

The Best Photographer You've Never Heard Of...

bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
edited November 6, 2009 in Street and Documentary
...was named William Gedney - He did street photography and documentary photography in NYC, San Francisco in the 60's, India, and in various other places. He taught for years at Pratt, in New York, and died of AIDS in the late 80s. The Duke University Libraries have his complete archives of photos and writings on line. You can look at contact sheets -
SF0278-lrg.jpeg

And individual images - Spend a few minutes, a few hours, a few weeks with his work - you won't regret it.:clap :clap :clap

SF0160-lrg.jpeg

SF0092-lrg.jpeg

SF0151-lrg.jpeg

pg.1
Yes, that is Tom Wolfe taking notes in a park in San Francisco during the "Summer of Love."

KY0066-lrg.jpeg

NY0010-lrg.jpeg

SF0035-lrg.jpeg

NY0020-lrg.jpeg

KY0006-lrg.jpeg
bd@bdcolenphoto.com
"He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed

Comments

• Options
    sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2009
    The one with the mannequins is pure genius.

Looking at this stuff sparks the on-going questions that rattle around in my brain: How to capture ordinary moments and make them extraordinary; what's the difference between an ordinary moment that can be made into an extraordinary image, and an ordinary moment that is just "so what?" How to have far-reaching vision - how to see beyond the moment, beyond the stuff we see every day and are almost too close to to see properly, and predict what will be enduring, classic, and iconic? Or do we only know this later?
  • Options
    JimWJimW Registered Users Posts: 333 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2009
    Not that I know, but one of the possible answers may be "disorientation." If interested, see this post.

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=146689

Sorry it's blue, don't know how to change it (too disoriented).

If the link doesn't work, it's on page 3 of The Big Picture section and it's called disorientation.

Jim

I don't want the cheese, I just want to get out of the trap.

http://www.jimwhitakerphotography.com/
  • Options
    edited November 2, 2009
    JimW wrote:
    Not that I know, but one of the possible answers may be "disorientation." If interested, see this post.

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=146689

Sorry it's blue, don't know how to change it (too disoriented).

If the link doesn't work, it's on page 3 of The Big Picture section and it's called disorientation.

Jim

Interesting article. A little like thinking outside the box, and what the current brain guys are saying about keeping our brains healthy and functioning well: shake things up a bit, do new things, do things differently, it keeps the neurons firing...or something like that.

Anyway, my questions are largely rhetorical and pretty much ongoing.
  • Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2009
    Hey B. D., could you resize the images in your post. They are too wide for my already wide monitor. It's making it near impossible to view and appreciate.
  • Options
    edited November 3, 2009
    michswiss wrote:
    Hey B. D., could you resize the images in your post. They are too wide for my already wide monitor. It's making it near impossible to view and appreciate.

Sorry, Jen - but I really don't have the time - I'd have to do back to the Duke site, find each of these images, and repost in a different size. Why don't you just Google William Gedney photography archives, and explore what you find there? It's an incredible place.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• Options
    edited November 3, 2009
    sara505 wrote:
    Interesting article. A little like thinking outside the box, and what the current brain guys are saying about keeping our brains healthy and functioning well: shake things up a bit, do new things, do things differently, it keeps the neurons firing...or something like that.

Anyway, my questions are largely rhetorical and pretty much ongoing.

Well, I don't think the quality of Gedney's images has anything to do with disorientation - I think it has to do with being 'in the moment,' paying close attention to surroundings, and truly "seeing" what's in front of you.

Sara, you asked about making ordinary moments extraordinary. I believe that the answer to that question lies in seeing them in the first place, and then in thinking about framing, exposure, and the other components of any good photograph. We usually fail to see - and certainly fail to photograph - ordinary moments precisely because they are so ordinary that they fail to register with us; I refer to them as "scenes yet unseen." rolleyes1.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• Options
    edited November 3, 2009
    bdcolen wrote:
    We usually fail to see - and certainly fail to photograph - ordinary moments precisely because they are so ordinary that they fail to register with us; I refer to them as "scenes yet unseen." rolleyes1.gif

Yes - that's what I think about, a lot. You're right about this. I also think there are different ways of seeing - i.e. "from the gut." iow, sometimes what we are "seeing" comes from a deep place, and we don't even know what we're seeing until later. Hard to put into words!
  • Options
    edited November 3, 2009
    sara505 wrote:
    Yes - that's what I think about, a lot. You're right about this. I also think there are different ways of seeing - i.e. "from the gut." iow, sometimes what we are "seeing" comes from a deep place, and we don't even know what we're seeing until later. Hard to put into words!

It is indeed. But this remind me of something in an earlier post, in which a writer posited that we find things in images we didn't know we were shooting. I'd challenge that assertion. I've thought about this a great deal, because I often look at an image and see an element that really makes the image and wonder, 'did I see that?' I believe that if that happens once in the proverbial blue moon, then it probably is accidental. But if it happens with any real consistency, then I'd suggest that what is happening is you are seeing those elements and they are registering at least subconsciously. You 'know' what you're shooting, even if it doesn't kick you in the head when you trip the shutter. Were that not the case, there's no way to explain why those 'special' elements turn up with so much consistency in the work of good photographers, and rarely if ever turn up in the work of average photographers.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• Options
    edited November 3, 2009
    bdcolen wrote:
    It is indeed. But this remind me of something in an earlier post, in which a writer posited that we find things in images we didn't know we were shooting. I'd challenge that assertion. I've thought about this a great deal, because I often look at an image and see an element that really makes the image and wonder, 'did I see that?' I believe that if that happens once in the proverbial blue moon, then it probably is accidental. But if it happens with any real consistency, then I'd suggest that what is happening is you are seeing those elements and they are registering at least subconsciously. You 'know' what you're shooting, even if it doesn't kick you in the head when you trip the shutter. Were that not the case, there's no way to explain why those 'special' elements turn up with so much consistency in the work of good photographers, and rarely if ever turn up in the work of average photographers.

Yep, the subconscious is indeed very powerful. I agree, that we do know what we're shooting, even if we don't understand it or see it or know it immediately.
  • Options
    rteest42rteest42 Registered Users Posts: 540 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2009
    Great photos, I will have to go look for more of his work!
    I was up in the city last month, and took three different photos...two I was VERY aware of.... the third? blew me away when I saw it on my screen...

saw it
    694463519_t7yiP-L-1.jpg

saw it
    694512220_H28Bv-L-1.jpg

totally missed this!

689896662_ZnzWy-L-1.jpg

What do you think??

trish
    sara505 wrote:
    Yep, the subconscious is indeed very powerful. I agree, that we do know what we're shooting, even if we don't understand it or see it or know it immediately.
  • Options
    edited November 4, 2009
    rteest42 wrote:
    Great photos, I will have to go look for more of his work!
    I was up in the city last month, and took three different photos...two I was VERY aware of.... the third? blew me away when I saw it on my screen...

saw it

totally missed this!

(not sure HOW to link, but they are in People Watching on my site....)

What do you think??

trish

Nice images - particular one and two. I'm not sure what you think you didn't see in no. 3.

Also, it would be a whole lot easier to look at these without the watermark. rolleyes1.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• Options
    edited November 5, 2009
    thanks! And, Sorry, I've never posted images here before... I'm gonna try this way...
    and hopefully in the large image you will note the lady inside, in green, staring at the backside of the man leaving the building! mwink.gif

689896662_ZnzWy-L-1.jpg

Trish
    Guess I know how now! (but not without the watermark...whats the trick there?)
    bdcolen wrote:
    Nice images - particular one and two. I'm not sure what you think you didn't see in no. 3.

Also, it would be a whole lot easier to look at these without the watermark. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited November 5, 2009
    rteest42 wrote:
    thanks! And, Sorry, I've never posted images here before... I'm gonna try this way...
    and hopefully in the large image you will note the lady inside, in green, staring at the backside of the man leaving the building! mwink.gif

689896662_ZnzWy-L-1.jpg

Trish
    Guess I know how now! (but not without the watermark...whats the trick there?)

Well, the trick with the watermark is to not put watermarks on your images....rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

As to the young woman with the green glasses - now I see her, but I don't know if she's looking at the guy going out the door, the couple at the counter, or one member of the couple at the counter. Sorry, but I still think the other two are much stronger. rolleyes1.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• Options
    edited November 5, 2009
    689884485_QyhP8-L-2.jpg

Maybe its the story-teller in me... (but here is a crop of the area with her looking... its HIM she's checking out...or maybe its him she's looking at, thinking, arrogant jerk, I TOLD you I was married, stop hitting on me!! )

Thanks, Trish
    bdcolen wrote:
    Well, the trick with the watermark is to not put watermarks on your images....rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

As to the young woman with the green glasses - now I see her, but I don't know if she's looking at the guy going out the door, the couple at the counter, or one member of the couple at the counter. Sorry, but I still think the other two are much stronger. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2009
    rteest42 wrote:
    689884485_QyhP8-L-2.jpg

Maybe its the story-teller in me... (but here is a crop of the area with her looking... its HIM she's checking out...or maybe its him she's looking at, thinking, arrogant jerk, I TOLD you I was married, stop hitting on me!! )

Thanks, Trish

Sorry, Trish - I know it's in your head, but it is not in your pixels. rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com