Options

Good but affordable options for signs?

msfmsf Registered Users Posts: 229 Major grins
edited November 10, 2009 in The Big Picture
I was just wondering if anyone knows of a good online supplier for a sign. I need two signs *one for each direction* for my new studio. I went to one place that Ive been told is the cheapest, and he said $250 for two pannels, thats something like 67" wide *forgets exact number, the sheet with the size is at the studio* and 4' tall.

I am very tempted to go to lowes, purchase a large plywood board that is all white on the top, for $20 or $30, make stencils for every letter out of card stock, and make my own sign for less than $50. I have my artistic moments, so Im sure I can do this and have it look great. But its also time consuming. I just spent 4 days putting my pvc tubing backdrop stand together, I thought Id be able to do it in one day. nope. :)

If I can find an online place that can do the sign in the $100 range, that would be great. I was hoping someone here would know of a place.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2009
    Photoshop and Print
    Why don't you get a large print - laminate it and design it in Photoshop ?
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • Options
    edited November 7, 2009
    ChatKat wrote:
    Why don't you get a large print - laminate it and design it in Photoshop ?

That is a pretty good idea, but for the 60" x 4' each side would cost $115 from whcc assuming I did the math right. plus the cost of the plywood, Ill be at the same price as the sign shop. Its a good idea if the sign was smaller.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2009
    Have you checked with your city code office to see what type of signs are allowed??

Where I live the signs cannot be hand painted on plywood........the city says it looks tacky.....it depreciates the building values of those around you........however a business can use a plastic banner sign that is tied up with rope or string from corner grommets and these invarible wind up being n place for several years all torn and ragged looking.......

Also if you use a local sign maker then you can get a hold of them if there is a problem of any kind........if you "mail order" then it will be a pain to get a problem rectified.......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited November 7, 2009
    Art Scott wrote:
    Have you checked with your city code office to see what type of signs are allowed??

Where I live the signs cannot be hand painted on plywood........the city says it looks tacky.....it depreciates the building values of those around you........however a business can use a plastic banner sign that is tied up with rope or string from corner grommets and these invarible wind up being n place for several years all torn and ragged looking.......

Also if you use a local sign maker then you can get a hold of them if there is a problem of any kind........if you "mail order" then it will be a pain to get a problem rectified.......

I believe the business is "outside of town", just barely though. I went to that town's hall to try to get a business license but they believe im outside of town. So that probably means a sign permit isnt needed. Im going to double check this with the person im renting from though.

Someone did metnion getting a large print made, which is a pretty good idea, but whcc x 2 prints plus plywood would be the same as the sign from the shop.

I will probably put up a better sign down the road, but right now this isnt where I want to invest my money. I just need something to show people where I am, and that I am there if they dont know about me. :) Id rather put the money into a better camera or lens or computer at this point. :D So im ok with getting a sign off of the net if I can find a good deal.
  • Options
    ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2009
    Vista Print
    I had some canvas banners made from Vista Print. They do signs too.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2009
    When I started out and the city code allowed it...of course being outside the reaches of city Government you won't have to worry about this......I used a lighted mobile sign.....
    The ones people rent for needling a spouse about her 40th or 50th birthday.......I removed the wheels and bolted it to the signpost ofthe other business in the same building.....it really burned the compliance officer when the judge took my side.........it was no longer mobile and permanently mounted.......when I sold the sign I just reattached the wheels and hitch and off it went with new owner....

I got mine used less than $100 it was the set of 6 or 8 inch letters that was expensive ~~$100 but it was like 4 or 6 of every letter and numbers and symbold including $$ signs and cents signs............I got myu money back when I sold it.................

Being lit it could be seen for a longways....the background was a bright yellow and letters were of course black..............

Good Luck and please post a pic of what you end up with......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited November 7, 2009
    Art Scott wrote:
    When I started out and the city code allowed it...of course being outside the reaches of city Government you won't have to worry about this......I used a lighted mobile sign.....
    The ones people rent for needling a spouse about her 40th or 50th birthday.......I removed the wheels and bolted it to the signpost ofthe other business in the same building.....it really burned the compliance officer when the judge took my side.........it was no longer mobile and permanently mounted.......when I sold the sign I just reattached the wheels and hitch and off it went with new owner....

I got mine used less than $100 it was the set of 6 or 8 inch letters that was expensive ~~$100 but it was like 4 or 6 of every letter and numbers and symbold including $$ signs and cents signs............I got myu money back when I sold it.................

I thougth about those portable yellow signs, just didnt know where to get one. :)

Being lit it could be seen for a longways....the background was a bright yellow and letters were of course black..............

Good Luck and please post a pic of what you end up with......

I thought about those portable yellow signs, but I didnt knwo where to buy one. :)
  • Options
    entropysedgeentropysedge Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2009
    the quote you got from the local sign place sounds about right ... just my thought, your sign is going to be one of the first things a potential client sees and it is going to be part of the impression in their mind about what kind of business you have; do you want that impression to be that you're running a professional business or that you're just someone taking pictures for some extra bucks.
    Sure it'd be nice to get some new gear to play with but you do have to remember that there are the boring day to day expenses of running a business as well.
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2009
    msf wrote:
    I thought about those portable yellow signs, but I didnt knwo where to buy one. :)
    http://www.buildasign.com/sandwich-boards