Options

The Cicadas are coming

moonjuicemoonjuice Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
edited May 15, 2004 in Wildlife
Hopefully this won't freak anyone here out. I have an online journal and the fact that I find this whole phenomenon a fascinating part of nature and it's cycles has brought out the juvenile in several adults that I know.

I photographed these this afternoon:

4224444-O.jpg

4224445-O.jpg

4224446-O.jpg

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2004
    nice shots ;)

once every 17 years eh? that's cool all by itself. i'm guessing there won't be any shortage of cicada models to shoot this month :D:D:D:D

:andy
  • Options
    ThwackThwack Registered Users Posts: 487 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2004
    Very cool shots! I love the colors in the first two. I know lots of fly fishers that are tying up custom flies for this event (it apparently brings the BIG fish to the surface).

There are more than just 17-year cicada cycles. There are some shorter ones too. 13 yr, maybe 9....I don't recall exactly but Google no doubt would know....
  • Options
    edited May 14, 2004
    Thwack wrote:
    Very cool shots! I love the colors in the first two. I know lots of fly fishers that are tying up custom flies for this event (it apparently brings the BIG fish to the surface).

There are more than just 17-year cicada cycles. There are some shorter ones too. 13 yr, maybe 9....I don't recall exactly but Google no doubt would know....
    Thank you! And the first two are my favorites also.

Yeah, you're right. I was reading last night about the 13 year "broods" as they call them.

And I guess those BIG fish like asparagus. When I was reading about them, I also read that some people eat them (a delicacy I suppose) and it said that they taste like cold canned asparagus. I like asparagus but I'm not going to try cicada anytime soon to see if they're right ;)
  • Options
    edited May 14, 2004
    andy wrote:
    nice shots ;)

once every 17 years eh? that's cool all by itself. i'm guessing there won't be any shortage of cicada models to shoot this month :D:D:D:D

:andy

Thank you very much.

Isn't it though? And people can't understand why I find it so fascinating.

And nope, no shortage of models. Although I saw more lying on the ground dead than alive. Poor things. Died before they even had a chance to mate.
  • Options
    QuendaQuenda Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited May 15, 2004
    Wow, our Cicada's are very plain, not pretty like these ones.

Q.