edited May 15, 2004 in Wildlife
Here is a photo I took today.

Comments

• Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2004
    Sam wrote:
    Here is a photo I took today.
    One more seal shot. Oh, and I tried to get some sea gulls flying......Didn't work real well. The damn things won't slow down! ne_nau.gif What ever the trick is, I don't know it. How do you get them in focus?
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2004
    Nice shots, Sam. I reckon you get the birds in focus by spending thousands of dollars on big, big lenses that are fast and also combine their own fast auto-focus with a camera body that has a fast auto focus.

Like say, a Canon 600 f4 IS ($7,200) on a Canon 1DmkII ($4,500) That combo should get you a crisp shot of a bird in flight!
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited May 3, 2004
    Sam wrote:
    One more seal shot. Oh, and I tried to get some sea gulls flying......Didn't work real well. The damn things won't slow down! ne_nau.gif What ever the trick is, I don't know it. How do you get them in focus?
    Cool seal shots!

Re: The gulls. See mutineer's post :)

For really fast moving things, try focusing on something in the relative area
    and then shoot with a good depth of field. It helps if you can use a high
    shutter speed (relative to the lens and hand-held nature of the shot).

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Nice shots, Sam. I reckon you get the birds in focus by spending thousands of dollars on big, big lenses that are fast and also combine their own fast auto-focus with a camera body that has a fast auto focus.

Like say, a Canon 600 f4 IS ($7,200) on a Canon 1DmkII ($4,500) That combo should get you a crisp shot of a bird in flight!
    I'll take a look at my paycheck this week and see if they popped in an extra $11,700 plus sales tax, license, and dealer prep. If not I'll just have to give up on birds. :D
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2004
    My favorite Seal Shot. Matching these guys play king of the mou ntain was a blast. I could have sat there all day.

4144743-M.jpg
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2004
    ian408 wrote:
    Cool seal shots!

Re: The gulls. See mutineer's post :)

For really fast moving things, try focusing on something in the relative area
    and then shoot with a good depth of field. It helps if you can use a high
    shutter speed (relative to the lens and hand-held nature of the shot).

Ian
    Nothing to do with birds or seals, but that's how I took this,
    3800840-M-2.jpg
    I used the focus lock on the goal post as the ball started heading in our direction, then fired when he shot. I missed a lot though, as it's diffucult compensating for the shutter lag. At least you can delete the bad attempts......Could've done with more zoom!
  • Options
    ondrovicondrovic Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
    edited May 12, 2004
    And, just to add to an interesting thread, here is one of my seal shots...
    Elephant seal on the beach...
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2004
    Shooting Gulls
    I've gotten some good shots of gulls with a Nikon D1X at 200-400mm. It is much easier if they aren't flying towards you. I find it pretty easy to pull a manual focus while panning a bird flying across my field of view. I don't have a sample on this computer to upload right now, I'll post one this evening.

Sam wrote:
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2004
    Gull Picture
    Here ya go - I shot this with a Nikon D1X 400mm 1/750 f5.6 handheld - not too hard as long as they're flying across your fov and you can pan...
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited May 12, 2004
    wxwax wrote:

Earth to Waxy... come back... come back.

:D
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited May 12, 2004
    And as for the birds, its not so bad. I did this, handheld, panning, with my relatively slow focusing 75-300. It does have IS, but with this much light, I think it was more a factor of blasting of several frames. This one stuck:

2788111-M.jpg
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2004
    you really captured some great expressions here, thanks for sharing! :andy
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2004
    These ar'nt seals but they are nice animals with expressions.. took em today at the horse farm..
  • Options
    edited May 14, 2004
  • Options
    edited May 14, 2004
    last one.. this foal is very new
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2004
    nice work, lynnma!
  • Options
    edited May 15, 2004
    andy wrote:
    nice work, lynnma!
    thank you kindly sir..
  • Options
    QuendaQuenda Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited May 15, 2004
    Nice photo's, everyone. Loved that gull capture, I have been trying to get a good photo of a bird flying for a while now.

Q.