Live Photo Booth

BlueSkyPhotosBlueSkyPhotos Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
edited September 11, 2014 in Weddings
Hi,
I'm looking for some advice on the Live Photo Booth. One of my future brides asked me if I could do it for them. She even send me a link to sample images: http://weddingphotos.com/blog/austinweddingphotography/540 .

I think it's a cool idea, but the problems is that I never done that before. She wants to offer it to her guests for about one hour. Does anyone know how to price it? Flat fee to her or charge per image? They don't expect me to print them on site, just to have images available with the rest of them.

BTW: She already signed the contract that did not include the Live Photo Booth.
Thanks,
Blue Sky

www.blue-skyphotography.com
Jacek

Comments

• sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2009
    I would charge a flat fee for this service. Do you have a second shooter to man the booth? If not, get one and add that cost to the fee you charge.

I was attending a wedding as a guest and they had an actual booth set up. The rental company charges between $895 and $1295, but that includes a print for each subject to keep, and one to go in a photo book. A guy from the company was also there to tend to the booth. They put the images online a few days later so people could order reprints, which were only $1.00 per 4x6. I tell you all this to give you an idea of what else is out there, and the pricing. I don't know what other photographers charge for a studio set up type "photo booth". It was extremely fun.

Caroline
  • BlueSkyPhotosBlueSkyPhotos Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
    edited November 8, 2009
    I would charge a flat fee for this service. Do you have a second shooter to man the booth? If not, get one and add that cost to the fee you charge.

I was attending a wedding as a guest and they had an actual booth set up. The rental company charges between $895 and $1295, but that includes a print for each subject to keep, and one to go in a photo book. A guy from the company was also there to tend to the booth. They put the images online a few days later so people could order reprints, which were only $1.00 per 4x6. I tell you all this to give you an idea of what else is out there, and the pricing. I don't know what other photographers charge for a studio set up type "photo booth". It was extremely fun.

Caroline

Thank you for you help Caroline. I have an assistant that might be able to do this job.
    Jacek
    Why pay a thousand dollars for a photobooth if your not going to give prints onsite? Just set up your own background and a couple of lights.
    edited November 9, 2009
    Why pay a thousand dollars for a photobooth if your not going to give prints onsite? Just set up your own background and a couple of lights.

That's my intention. My question is: How to price it?
    Jacek

I agree. I wasn't suggesting he rent the booth. I was just talking about what some people are willing to pay for this, and my personal experience with it as a guest. I think clients and guests would be plenty happy to see the images later. The couple could even get small prints to send with the thank you cards.

Caroline
  • metmet Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2009
    From websites that I've checked out, most photogs do a photo station for a straight add-on fee. One of the coolest photobooths I've seen was one that a Minneapolis photographer did. I'm pretty sure he's a dgrinner, too.

http://www.federerphotography.com/blog/?p=282

http://www.federerphotography.com/blog/?cat=15
  • Matt336Matt336 Registered Users Posts: 303 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2009
    The photographer that hires me to help her edit photos had a "funbooth" at one of the weddings she did. The whiteboard adds to the experience I think.

http://www.shawnanoel.net/index.cfm?postID=330

WARNING: The second image may or may not be work safe, a guy drew some breasts on the white board to make up for his lack of them.rolleyes1.gif
    edited November 11, 2009
    Thanks everyone for the input. The links to sites with "funbooth" images were very helpful. I decided to charge per hour (or hours) of service, let them purchase prints from my site and offer an album from the fun booth.
    Jacek
    met wrote:
    From websites that I've checked out, most photogs do a photo station for a straight add-on fee. One of the coolest photobooths I've seen was one that a Minneapolis photographer did. I'm pretty sure he's a dgrinner, too.

http://www.federerphotography.com/blog/?p=282

http://www.federerphotography.com/blog/?cat=15

Hey, that's me! Someone likes my work - sweetness!

I actually wrote a 12 page article (with screenshots, examples, links, deals on equipment and other stuff) on how I do it over on the professional photography forum. You've got to be a member to read it though. ;)

Drop over and ask questions and such, we are a new forum, but it's a great place with some great members from all sorts of genre's. No bickering and such. Actually, a lot like a professional-focused version of this forum with private areas for 'business' talk. But enough pimping a different forum... dgrin is a great place too.

I've got two bits of advice directly for the OP here:

1) PRINT! That is what makes it. Seriously. It may sound like more work - but your job is actually easier, and the product better, if you print.

2) Charge a flat rate with an 'hourly add-on' agreement. The flat rate helps you cover your fixed effort and expenses -- acquiring gear, transporting it, setting it up, liability insurance (which is a 100% must if you are doing this), etc... stuff that's the same regardless of how long you go. So, if your client wants 3 hours... do something like 1600 bucks (1000 flat fee, 200 per hour after) for 3 hours and unlimited printing... with additional hours available day-of for 300 per hour. ... I've got like 2 pages devoted to my pricing in my article.
    Minneapolis Minnesota Wedding Photographer - Check out my Personal Photography site and Professional Photography Blog
    Here is a wedding website I created for a customer as a value-add. Comments appreciated.
    Founding member of The Professional Photography Forum as well.
    edited November 16, 2009
    Thank you for posting your comments and advice FedererPhoto. I joined the other forum and had a chance to read your article. Great stuff and a lot of helpful tips.

My plan was to do something similar that you described except the printer part, which seems to be the most important piece of the puzzle. I can't spend that much money on the printer at this point, so I will need either come up with an alternative without sacrificing quality or do this even without prints.

Did you start right away charging your $1900 flat fee or it took you some time to get to that level? I just don't think there will be many of my clients willing to spend that kind of money. I understand it is a better quality product than a regular photo booth, but I am dealing with a lower budget clients at this time. I just started and am in the process of building my portfolio.

Thanks,

BlueSkyPhotos
    Jacek
    I'd rather not discuss too deeply my hard pricing numbers and strategies on a google-indexed forum. But will gladly talk to you elsewhere or over e-mail. Drop me a line.
    Minneapolis Minnesota Wedding Photographer - Check out my Personal Photography site and Professional Photography Blog
    Here is a wedding website I created for a customer as a value-add. Comments appreciated.
    edited November 17, 2009
    I'd rather not discuss too deeply my hard pricing numbers and strategies on a google-indexed forum. But will gladly talk to you elsewhere or over e-mail. Drop me a line.

Sounds good. Thanks again.
    Jacek
    BlueSky,
    I did a "Photo Booth" for the first time a few weddings ago. I made them hire my second photog to do it / (wo)man it. However, since then, I have met with a few potential clients that have asked us about doing it. Now, realizing that it's such an added value service to them, I will start charging extra for this. You will, without question, need at least two of you to do this. Oh yeah, they brought the props.

672288173_2nCrj-L-1.jpg

672322946_zMW8L-L.jpg

Anyways, here's a link to the gallery. This was an extremely fun wedding. The kind I LOVE to shoot.
    http://camaraphotography.smugmug.com/Weddings/Photo-Booth-Portraits/Slatkoff-Deans-Weddin/9867601_NN6H4/1/672322946_zMW8L
  • BPerronBPerron Registered Users Posts: 464 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2009
    the image is found team...is very well known for there crazy booths...http://theblogisfound.com/index.cfm?catID=12 something to check out anyway...
    Brandon Perron Photography
    www.brandonperron.com
    edited December 14, 2009
    BlueSky,
    I did a "Photo Booth" for the first time a few weddings ago. I made them hire my second photog to do it / (wo)man it. However, since then, I have met with a few potential clients that have asked us about doing it. Now, realizing that it's such an added value service to them, I will start charging extra for this. You will, without question, need at least two of you to do this. Oh yeah, they brought the props.

Anyways, here's a link to the gallery. This was an extremely fun wedding. The kind I LOVE to shoot.
    http://camaraphotography.smugmug.com/Weddings/Photo-Booth-Portraits/Slatkoff-Deans-Weddin/9867601_NN6H4/1/672322946_zMW8L

Love these two photos. I couldn't get into the gallery. It requires password.
    Jacek
    BPerron wrote:
    the image is found team...is very well known for there crazy booths...http://theblogisfound.com/index.cfm?catID=12 something to check out anyway...

Thanks for the link. Great stuff. There is a manual available for purchase.
    Jacek
    This is a great thread leading to more great info. My last three potential clients all asked about this. I need to keep up with trends. I have two inkjet printers, one high end and one low end. I'll need to experiment and I'm hoping the Canon remote control software will help me in this. I don't want to buy new gear if I don't have to. I'll probably throw a family bbq to test out my workflow.

thanks again.
    I like photos especially ones shot by Canons. I'm just another fanboy :ivar
  • lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2014
    Hey, that's me! Someone likes my work - sweetness!

I12 page article on how I do it over on the professional photography forum. You've got to be a member to read it though.

Membership link signup appears to be broken?

Phil
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
    edited August 10, 2014
    The link you referenced was posted in 2009!

--- Denise
  • FedererPhotoFedererPhoto Registered Users Posts: 312 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2014
    The registration link works -- it's just the forum has been upgraded and it's no longer at the same url.

A direct registration link is here: http://www.theprofessionalphotographyforum.com/forums/index.php?action=register

fyi: the professional photography forum is soon moving to all paid access and plans (in addition to other changes) to grandfather in people with X number of posts before that change happens.
  • JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Registered Users Posts: 1,065 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2014
    My wife and I recently began offering somewhat of a photo-booth service. It's really not so much a booth per se, but rather a makeshift step & repeat. We use decorations and props (if available) that are congruent with the environment of the wedding venue.

In a nutshell, we charge a set up / operation fee for this, and host all pics online. We make certain that the couple advertises this service PRIOR to the event, as well as making certain DURING the event, that for every "photo booth" shot purchased, we'll match it with a free print to the B&G.

It's not a huge money maker, but a nice add-on that generates a little sales traffic through our site. Sometimes we just need a little momentum, moreso than megabucks.
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited September 11, 2014

Phil

The thread is a few years old.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • studiozphotoboothsstudiozphotobooths New member Posts: 5 Big grins
    edited February 25, 2021
    I know this link is a few years old, but happened to randomly come across it. For those who might also randomly find it and have a similar question....always do a flat rate based on the number of hours. If you try to do a pay per photo style system, you'll end up making little to $0, especially if it's asking the guests to pay for the photos.

Just my 2 cents!

Zach Schiffman
    Owner, Studio Z Photo Booths
    https://www.studiozphotobooths.com/
    https://www.studiozphotobooths.com/360z/