Options

Lens Question

elizabeth_Lunaelizabeth_Luna Registered Users Posts: 308 Major grins
edited November 9, 2009 in Weddings
Hey folks!

I bought my 1st L lens last month the 135L since I needed a longer lens for my arsenal.... Or so I thought anyway I just wanted to ask for those who have shot with a 50 1.2 and 135L 2.0 do you know if they both have the same creamy nice bokah?

Thank you!

I am asking because I just may sell the 135 to fund the other.

Comments

• Options
    ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2009
    The 50 1.2 is my favorite lens. I love the perspective and angle of view. I have the 135 as well and I bought it because I love the bokeh as well.

I don't think it's as much a matter of which bokeh is better - they are close but more what is appropirate to your style. Why don't you rent the one you don't have and see if it fits your work?
    Hey folks!

I bought my 1st L lens last month the 135L since I needed a longer lens for my arsenal.... Or so I thought anyway I just wanted to ask for those who have shot with a 50 1.2 and 135L 2.0 do you know if they both have the same creamy nice bokah?

Thank you!

I am asking because I just may sell the 135 to fund the other.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2009
    ChatKat wrote:
    The 50 1.2 is my favorite lens. I love the perspective and angle of view. I have the 135 as well and I bought it because I love the bokeh as well.

I don't think it's as much a matter of which bokeh is better - they are close but more what is appropirate to your style. Why don't you rent the one you don't have and see if it fits your work?

True kat! I love interacting with my clients... I feel to far from them with the 135... I will rent a 50 1.2 for my upcoming wedding thanks :)
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2009
    True kat! I love interacting with my clients... I feel to far from them with the 135... I will rent a 50 1.2 for my upcoming wedding thanks :)

I find the 135L is best suited for shots while the receiving line stuff is going on and random stuff at the reception, basically those times you don't have to be right up on someone and want to get some great candids. Are you shooting on a crop body or full frame camera? On crop I'd go 50, on full frame I'd go 85.
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2009
    Shima wrote:
    I find the 135L is best suited for shots while the receiving line stuff is going on and random stuff at the reception, basically those times you don't have to be right up on someone and want to get some great candids. Are you shooting on a crop body or full frame camera? On crop I'd go 50, on full frame I'd go 85.

MarkII 5d...

I own 50 1.4 it's sharp and I love it I actually shoot a whole wedding with it Laughing.gif but I got the 135L in case I ever need it, I have not found a situation I need a LONG lens, I like to get close to people and shoot.

I also have my tamron 28-75.... I used the 135L on a recent shoot and love the sharpness and how it just brings out the color. But was wondering of the 50 1.2 did the same, I will find out soon.
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2009
    For weddings
    I never use the 135 at events. Always the 50 or 85. I have the 85 1.8 but my wishlist is the 85 1.2
    Kathy Rappaport
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2009
    ChatKat wrote:
    I never use the 135 at events. Always the 50 or 85. I have the 85 1.8 but my wishlist is the 85 1.2

Thanks again KAT!
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2009
    ChatKat wrote:

P>S I went to your meeting LA smug I appreciate you so much and I look forward to doing business with you.
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2009
    Thanks, Elizabetih!
    Kathy Rappaport
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2009
    ChatKat wrote:
    Thanks, Elizabetih!

Oops - I hit send too quickly. The 50 1.2 has a bit of learning curve to it. I would not recommend that you rent it and shoot a wedding with it if you havne't used it before. You have to be careful with focusing it . I am very careful about using it wide open and particularly if the subject is not straight on. Very easy to have some one at a slant and have one eye in focus and the other oof. Or two people - one in and one oof
    Kathy Rappaport
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2009
    ChatKat wrote:
    Oops - I hit send too quickly. The 50 1.2 has a bit of learning curve to it. I would not recommend that you rent it and shoot a wedding with it if you havne't used it before. You have to be careful with focusing it . I am very careful about using it wide open and particularly if the subject is not straight on. Very easy to have some one at a slant and have one eye in focus and the other oof. Or two people - one in and one oof

Thanks for the tip! :)
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2009
    My full frame walk around getting shots where I'm closer to people gear is 35L and 85 1.8 presently. The 35 usually stays on one body at all times throughout the day and then I change around what's on the other body depending on my needs. Just my 2 cents. One of these days I want to rent an 85 1.2 to play with...but until then the 85 1.8 has been a surprising performer for it's cost.